Central West NSW camping spots?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Central West NSW camping spots?

Postby Julie_Fliedner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:44 am

HI Everyone!
My hubby and I have just bought a camper trailer and are looking for good quiet spots in the Central West NSW. Ideally somewhere to put a tinny in the water too.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers!
Jules
Julie_Fliedner

Re: Central West NSW camping spots?

Postby TBF » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 am

Jules

Check out this link. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/ourabeachreserve.htm
It is to Derek Bullock website.
It has a free camping reserve on the river near Wagga Wagga.
Never been there myself. But the photos are enough for me to visit in the future.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby Julie_Fliedner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks Aart! We have a little boy too, so we dont want to stray tto far from home for our first trip. (Just in case it is a disaster!) Hopefully not... Still getting our set-up organised and all that jazz..
I will post some pics of wherever we decide to go this weekend...
Julie_Fliedner

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:29 am

Hi Jules,
Not sure where in the Central West you were looking at going to but we are in Cowra and
we usually go camping at Wyangala Dam and were looking to go on Aust Day weekend but have just heard it may be closing due to blue green algae and storms are predicted for the whole weekend so we will see what Fri nite/Sat morn brings before we bail out, but still the camping here is good you just wont be able to put the boat in. If you stay in the main park you will have amenities, we usually stay on private property(no amenities) but have stayed in the park before and they have just renovated one of the amenities block (not well before time either as one block has been closed for over two years!!)
You could go to Darby's Falls along the river there are some good spots and also at Eugowra along the river. My hubby has been to both with mates fishing so I couldn't give you directions. I think they just cruise around and look for a good spot to set up.
Not sure whether you want facilities or not?
Have heard the Apex Caravan Park on the river at Forbes is good also.
We have been wanting to go to Ben Hall's cave near Grenfell(no water though) but are yet to get there, not sure that there are any facilities there (probably not) but one of my girlfriend's is eager to go there as she has heard it was good. Will most likely go in March/April when it cools down.
A lot of people here also like to go to Carcoar Dam which has amenities but last time we went for a bit of a look you couldn't fish in the dam, can't remember why(nappy brain kickin in) it's on a bit of a hill overlooking the dam and you have a great view of the wind farm and can even hear them operating (not a keep u up at nite noise though).
Will post anymore I think of during the day. :-bang
Hope this helps. :grin:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Julie_Fliedner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks xmasbaby67.
We are actually in Canowindra, so I do know where you are talking about.
Glad you mentioned about the dam (wyangala) as thats where we were planning on heading. I think we are gonna try Carcoar now though.
Next trip I would like to go down the abercrombie River somewhere. I have heard the beach campsite there is quite good.
Have you ever been down the Abercrombie?
Jules
Julie_Fliedner

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:37 pm

I have not been down the Abercrombie but my hubby has but not for a few years. He usually goes by boat so I dont know how accessable it is by road or how far down the river u would have to go to get there. We went 4wding down that way last year and its pretty inaccessable when the dam is this low but dont take my word for it as someone here may know a way.
A lot of our friends are going to "Markhams" (u probably know this spot)on the long weekend. We used to camp there but it got too crowded so we go over to Alston Bay onto private property.

Carcoar is a nice spot though and has shade and quite new amenities so u should have fun but like I said I dont know whether u can fish or even go in the water. I remember something about the water being contaiminated or something so just check before u get in the water.

Forbes is worth a look though very pretty with all the willows on the river at the Apex Tourist park we may even end up there this weekend as it has been on our to do list for a while and looks very relaxing.

Have a great weekend :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Cassidy Dannie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:56 pm

NSW's central west gradually shifts from rolling agricultural heartland into vast plains and finally the harsher outback soil of the far west. It was gold that began this region, and its legacy lingers in the fascinating towns throughout. Steeped in bushranger and gold-rush history, they're lined with stately buildings, parks, and vivid and well-tended English gardens.
Cassidy Dannie

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Looks a bit like SPAM to me?????? :oops: :oops:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Julie_Fliedner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:35 pm

hmmm. i think you're right.
How was the dam on the weekend xmasbaby?
Julie_Fliedner

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:10 pm

We only day tripped on Sunday for a day of skiing etc with the kids and two other families.

After the big storm on Friday nite we decided not to camp as it was way too windy. Lucky we didn't cause a girlfriend of mine and her family had been out there since Wed and had to come home on Sat morn as they lost most of their tents in the wind on Fri nite and had to sleep in the car with the kids. Poor buggar they had a heap of geopoles broken in both tents and also a couple of holes torn in the fly's that she has to stitch up and the shade tent they had over the kitchen area was completely destroyed. Funny thing was that the I like tent just kept popping back up and it was fine.. :***

They were also saying that another group up from them were in a CT and it moved 3 feet in the storm!!!!!!! ::() ::() Pretty scary stuff.

That Dannie person has popped up on a few of the topics, funniest one was this thread
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3341&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Sorry Jules forgot to ask how Carcoar went???? :lol:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Paul100 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi xmasbaby67
If you would like to visit Ben Halls Cave near Grenfell "Weddin Mountains N/Park" you need to camp over the Western side at Seatons Camping Area. There's some walks to the cave & lookouts from the camp & all are good to do, as well as the nearby Seatons Farm to see old farming lifestyle - old machinery & homestead relics etc.
There's only long drops at the the campsite. Bring water etc.
A good time to go there is the June L/W/E as it's good walking then & also in Grenfell they have a Henry Lawson Festival on the Saturday & if you got kids they might be interested in the nearby Guinea Pig races?. Also nearby Ilandra Castle [big old homestead] has an open day on that L/W/E alson.

Not much to do in nearby Conimbla N/Park, but Nangar N/Park is worth the light duty trail drive.

Hi Juile
Over the Jan L/W/E our crew had a day trip into Abercrombie N/Park from one of our Oberon district campsites & we went past "The Beach" campsite - the River is still not flowing - as it's just in big pools & the campsite has seen very little use by the looks of things & getting overgrown. Not the place to go if your looking for a fishing trip. Most Rainbow Trout are now dead but there is still Carp in some pools. We did a loop & there was only 1 other vehcile camped in the whole park, N/Parks Ranger said it has been very quiet there for some time.
The tracks are dusty & rocky in some places at the moment.

Regards, Paul
Landcruiser 100TD [With the works]
Comftable ... Capable ... Powerfull ... Reliable
Paul100
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations