Chescold RC1180 - Great

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Chescold RC1180 - Great

Postby markannab » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:42 am

Just thought I'd post this bit of info for anyone interested.

We just bought and tested a Chescold RC1180 fridge/freezer. It's made by Waeco and is three-way. It has a 50 litre capacity with a divider that can be slid in giving a 30 litre fridge & 16 litre freezer (4 litres taken up by divider). At BCF, it was $1199 but when we bought a few smaller items at the same time, got it for about $1060.

We ran it over night with it almost empty and it came up with -5°C in the fridge section. Didn't check the freezer section but was coated in ice and froze some ice cubes very hard. Very impressed.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Re: Chescold RC1180 - Great

Postby steve&Kate » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:04 am

Hi Mark,

Did you run it on gas or electricity, they perform much better on gas.

On tuesday we decided to go to forster for a couple of days, first time on a powered site in I don't know how long, the RC1180 did not perform as well on electricity as it did on gas.

In future we plan on running our on gas only when away, it was not a problem running it on elecricity, just performs better on gas.

Cheers
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby markannab » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:47 am

The time mentioned above was on electricity. I was blown away. Next weekend, we're having a BBQ/live amateur music thingy in the backyard, so we're going to fire it up on gas as a test and keep everyones meat & drinks in it.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 am

The main part of the refridgeration process for 3way, is the heating of a cylinder containing ammonia. Heating with gas naturally is going to be more efficient than 240v or 12v. Running it on 12v is only intended when you have it in the car travelling. Depending on the setup in your car, sometimes you cannot get the full amps and a result it will slow in performance. Or the case in my car just blow the fuse!

Mark, there is a thread on here somewhere about tricks using 3way fridges, which might be helpful. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby steve&Kate » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi Mark,

If you find the link can you post it here, just started back at work after a month off and just don't seem to have any time at the moment, sure everything will settle in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
Kate

Troyk wrote:The main part of the refridgeration process for 3way, is the heating of a cylinder containing ammonia. Heating with gas naturally is going to be more efficient than 240v or 12v. Running it on 12v is only intended when you have it in the car travelling. Depending on the setup in your car, sometimes you cannot get the full amps and a result it will slow in performance. Or the case in my car just blow the fuse!

Mark, there is a thread on here somewhere about tricks using 3way fridges, which might be helpful. :grin:
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby pajames2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:42 pm

We have this and have used it on a few occasions now. I have to have mine running at about 1/3 capacity on gas otherwise it will freeze everything. I put a 2l bottle of milk in it last time and it was frozen solid the next morning. I have taken the divider out to use it as a cooler only and find it cools really, really well. A local camp shop recommends turning it off last thing at night to save gas and put it back on in the morning. I tried this the last trip and found that i had no problems with food spoiling at all and the food was quite cool still.

My only gripe is that mine uses about 0.75kg of gas per day if running 24hrs and about 0.5kg per day if i turn it off at night so i recommend at least a 4kg bottle if camping for 4 nights or so.

Overall I am more than happy with it.
pajames2

Postby markannab » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 am

That's a lot of gas! They reckon they use less then 400g a day. I always carry 9kg bottles anyway but hopefully it'll be as efficient as they say.
markannab
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide