Wind Under Your Tarp

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Wind Under Your Tarp

Postby deberg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

Went camping at Lake Macquarie over Christmas, beautiful spot right on the water. We have a 24x30 Ultra Rig tarp and only just survived the frequent southerlies that came through. We noticed many fellow campers lose there tarps through the night and my wife began to get very concerned that ours might go to (I was on tarp duty most of the night :cry: ). With about 20 poles up we managed through the winds and all is right with the world.

However, to appease the concerns of my lovely wife, I had a talk with another camper who uses some very heavy cloth down the southern and eastern sides of his tarp. He attached the cloth to the top of the pole and ensures that about 1 meter is lose on the ground. He claimed that this helps stop the wind getting under the tarp :+ . Whilst this seamed to work I was wondering if anyone else has any great ideas about stopping the wind getting under your tarp?

Cheers

Mark
deberg
Boy Scout

Re: Wind Under Your Tarp

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Mark, drop the poles down as far as you can go on the windy side...it should then act as a wind deflector.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Yep that`s what i do.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 am

Poodle Jewel wrote:Yep that`s what i do.

Great minds PJ...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby deberg » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 am

Thanks folks. As always, great advice. :cheers
deberg
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:41 am

Happy to oblige Mark...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ben... » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:22 am

lay off the bean when camping heheh (well thats what i thought when i read the title... ) but what everyone has said beofore me, drop the polls.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Pauly » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Instead of using material or tarp we use shade cloth. I have made shade clothe with eyelets at the poles centres and again down the bottom, we hook it onto the pole and then use the existing peg. I also dont use any springs on my tarp because I think this lets them lift. Big pegs and strong ropes.
The shade cloth still allows wind in but its filter where a tarp or material act as a block to the wind taking the full brunt.

Works for us
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby sienna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Shade cloth is good for the above reason. Also I threw two big ropes over the top of my tarp and tied them directly down to the ground onto big (45cm) pegs. Make sure you use heavy duty springs not the cheaper, softer versions. I also used two sets of ropes for each corner for extra security. Not sure if you are using a ridge pole through the middle. This gives you the A frame look and lets you choose which profile you face to the wind. I would also use a pole in each eyelet. This will hold the tarp firmer and reduce the flapping and the ability for the wind to get under the tarp and lifting.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide