What electrical appliances do you take with you camping?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: What electrical appliances do you take with you camping?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Ever Derek...even on a powered site??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:01 pm

gypsylady wrote:Ever Derek...even on a powered site??

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Well maybe I have plugged in the fridge on a powered site. :P
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:06 pm

A senior moment Derek!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:31 am

Yep it's Kev who wants the new 4WD and Jo is not so keen - probably a bit more sensible. For the moment we have the faithful old blue 'Cruiser despite her age and faults... Probably be a shame to let her go.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:46 pm

gypsylady wrote:My take on that comment is that it is Kev who wants the new car and Jo is putting the brakes on...

You are correct, didn`t see kevs name at the bottom.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Troyk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Went to Tallebudgera Creek camping a couple of years ago. It was a bit of an eye opener what people took "camping" at Tally. Saw large tv's, dvd players, microwaves, full size fridges etc, amongst the tents. I reckon for these people that was the extent of their camping. The last day of the school holidays people would leave and come back with small trucks to take all their stuff back.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby CCC » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:52 pm

I do bush camping and only use 12v, gas and ice :lol: . no 240v power appliances for me either :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Troy - last year in 1770 was an eye opener for us. People were camping over a couple of sites with electric everything including microwaves and deep freeze chest freezers. Never seen anything quite like it. And the flash 4WD's and boats.

I said to Jo that there was an awful of a lot of money tied up in camping gear there. Jo (correctly I think) pointed out that there was an amazing amount of debt in the place!

We overheard a nearby camper commenting that in an adjoining camp one kid was watching a DVD, one was playing a playstation type game on a TV and dad was surfing the net. Pretty much not a holiday at a place like 1770. Her kids - playing cards.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:14 am

It never ceases to amaze me how many parents these days feel the need to provide entertainment for their children rather than encouraging them to get out and find it themselves....especially when camping.

And those who provide DVDs for the kids whilst travelling...whatever happened to the kids looking out the window and seeing this great country that we live in.....and of course if all else fails.....there is still 'I Spy'....

Ooops SORRY... for the thread hijack
Last edited by GypsyLady on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:42 am

I was at a restaurant on Australia Day, and they offered portable DVD players and a choice of kids movies for hire while you had lunch. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the whole idea of going out to lunch or dinner as a family was simply that - to enjoy the company of your family! I have friends whose kids just can't travel in a car without a DVD player. If we go anywhere as a group, they have to take their car beacuse "Timmy can't go in a car without a DVD, he'll just play up the whole way". I know what I'd do to darling Timmy if he played up in my car! Suffice to say the same family take a multitude of electronic gadgets and gizmos to keep their kids occupied when camping- and what always happens? They have a ball playing "outdoor" games they've never known of before - like cricket, fishing, badminton, totem tennis, and lo and behold - riding a bike!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby YouAndI » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:10 pm

We run everything on 12 Volt DC (No Electric). Image
Alan & Christine
Jeep & Tentrax AT Off Road Camper
Webshots: Click Here

YouAndI
Camping King

Postby Earl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:46 pm

It horses for courses.

I’m a fishing nut and take 240V 3 stage charger for boat, chargers for lights and camera batteries, jaffle maker, kettle and fry pan, even took an ice maker once. After a hard day’s fishing 4am start to 6pm knock off, nothing nicer than getting back to camp making coffee, jaffle and then settle back for a few cold scotches with ice, 3:30am breakfast bacon and eggs. Quick and Easy that’s me, some reckon I’m cheap too.

Regards
Earl
Earl

Postby Bill snd Morag » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Since purchasing the ct we have not camped on a powered site.
Fridge and lights run off 12v
Chargers for the video camera and laptop run off an inverter hooked up to either the ct or the Navaras dual battery system.
Fans run off D size batteries.
Solar panels keep all the batteries charged up nicely..
Bill and Morag
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Postby markcrook » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:10 pm

gypsylady wrote:

And those who provide DVDs for the kids whilst travelling...whatever happened to the kids looking out the window and seeing this great country that we live in.....and of course if all else fails.....there is still 'I Spy'....

To be honest I think the in car DVD's are fantastic, I wish we had had them as kids! They only get to use it if the journey is over 3 hours. Then when we arrive it goes away until we head home.

I can remeber being bored stupid on long journeys as a kid and my Mum and Dad telling me to look out of the window - kids don't seem to have appreciate scenery! I remember looking at a view one day with my two girls and said something a long the lines of "look at that amazing isn't it?" they spent a couple of minutes looking around and said "what are you looking at?" - I had to then try to explain the view and scenery and that I wasn't looking at something specific. They just couldn't see the big picture.

It means that we are prepared to do the longer journey where as previously we always thought no-way the kids will be a nightmare "Are we nearly there yet?", long journeys can be boring - even for adults. This country is amazing, the landscape spectacular - but some times it doesn't change for hour after hour. We drove through the Karri forests in WAs south west, we started off full of enthusiasm for the beutiful forest and the magnificent trees but after three hours of trees, and trees and more trees my wife started to lose the plot! :?

Sorry back onto topic...

My two girls have ipod shuffles as they love listening to music, their music collection includes the Rolf Harris Platinum Collection. At least that way only they can hear it! Except when the 8 year old sings a long. They also have Nintendo DS Games which they also take camping, for the journeys, as well as occasionaly they will sit down and play for 15 minutes, before they go and find something less boring instead.

My wife takes her hairdryer and straightners - this is why we go to CPs! :oops:

I just need a torch! And the waeco (usually on electric hookup) to keep the beers :beer (and food cold)!
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Young Camping Family » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 pm

As for DVD's... I thought it was quite refreshing that recently on a 3hr drive we borrowed a portable DVD player and took a stash of about 10 DVD's for Miss 3 to watch. We put it on for her and no more than 20mins later she fell asleep (which is usual for her on longer car trips). I turned it off, and after an hour or so when she woke up I asked if she wanted it back on... she said ok, so I did and she watched it for about another 10mins and said she'd had enough! She didn't want it at all on the way back!
She loves spotting things though, and while she's a bit young for "I spy" she will announce when she sees an animal or something out of the ordinary. I think it's a great opportunity to engage in some conversation and build vocab.
Maybe it is because her long car trips started at a very early age - my grandmother died the day after she was born, so when she was 4 days old we drove for 3.5hrs to her funeral and she slept the whole way! Ever since she has loved going in the car and falls asleep most of the time.
I was in the car a lot as a kid and I survived fine! When I was 11 my parent's and I (and another family with children my age) drove around most of Australia with caravans, and there were some LONG days (1000km+) and not much to look at and all we had was a walkman (old style, with cassettes!) and a few books to write/read/colour in.
I guess while I know there are a lot of gadgets to make camping that bit more comfortable/easier, there isn't much point going camping if you take everything from home with you - may as well stay in a motel/holiday house.
Our aim is to not have any 240V appliances - only gas or 12V so we are self-sufficient.

Just for what it's worth.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide