Questions from a modern tent neophyte

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Questions from a modern tent neophyte

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19 pm

:? You could say we are a tad confused but considering the variable weather recently, we got the tent wet and dried twice in the one day. Chuffed? You bet! :grin:
OK so some specific questions linked to photos (and while I had the camera out to photograph the tent, I took some pix of an Ornate Burrowing Frog which I had turned up while gardening a little earlier) ... anyway ...

Pegged but ... well, we pegged it out as best we could but the wall/floor edge was not flat on the ground - why? Pegged too loose, too tight?Image

When erected ... it's an Oztrail Tour tent 9 plus, if that's relevant. Looks a bit untidy and from the inside the walls slope inward rather more than they are supposed to at a guess. Image

Waggly walls ... centre pole need to be higher? Or just pegged out better, or ...?

Guy rope attachment ... note the reef knot :!: maybe not the best knot but I learned my knots before synthetic rope. Anyway ... will this arrangement stand the test of time and wind or is there a more elegant and safe method of guying? Image

Occy for flap ... or is there something more robust to hold the window flap away from the window (without adding more poles, enough already!)? Image

Extension ... failing any instructions from the makers (who don't bother to send instructions with the centre-pole-removal kit either) ... have we figured out correctly how to stabilise the extension poles? Image

Awaiting constructive comments with interest ::)

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Re: Questions from a modern tent neophyte

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 am

This is almost the same as my tent . The first photo looks like it is on sloping ground?? this will make it sag. Occy strap excellent idea i might steal that one , My floor doesn`t sit flat on the ground either I think it is the design. yes the extension pole at the back is correct.
To remove the centre pole you should have got a U shaped set up of poles.. put your centre pole in then assemble your U shaped side poles,inside the tent there should be some velcro or straps to tie the poles to the sides,just keep pushing the sides up until the tent is high then pull your centre pole out. I don`t put guy ropes out from my roof because i always put a big tarp over the top. In the Show Us your Camp set up section i have some photos of mine i don`t think they are close ups though.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:The first photo looks like it is on sloping ground? ... Occy strap excellent idea i might steal that one , My floor doesn`t sit flat on the ground either I think it is the design. yes the extension pole at the back is correct. ... To remove the centre pole you should have got a U shaped set up of poles...

Great PJ, thanks :grin: Now: the ground is as flat as the proverbial pancake but we noticed that the inside-the-tent-frame was listing to starboard.

Well now, I charge a commission for good ideas ;) I thought the Occys might be a bit weak but I'll give them a whirl when we finally get to pitch the tent somewhere other than our backyard.

OK the centre-pole removal kit ... it's a clothes-hanger-shaped metal thingy with two long, adjustable poles which click into a hole on the hanger thing. You'll be amazed at my grasp of technical lingo ;) Anyway, we figured on getting everything stable first and doing the removal gig last and then first when we dismantle. I figured on using the supplied guy ropes, such as they are, considering there's nothing that I could see (gotta have another look when next we pitch) inside to stabilise the uprights or the hanger thing. I've checked the pix you posted and it certainly looks very similar :grin:

Smiles PJ and thanks ... E n E
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:12 pm

Well now, I charge a commission for good ideas ;) I thought the Occys might be a bit weak but I'll give them a whirl when we finally get to pitch the tent somewhere other than our backyard. quote

Well now did you know i patented the three gas burner and three wire toast rack idea. Here in a post somewhere. Every one was saying the kids were complaining about lining up for toast so i said well you have a three burner stove, use three wire toasters,next thing everyone`s posting photos of there 3 burner toaster.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping Tips and Locations