QLD - Glendon Camping

QLD - Glendon Camping

Postby Johnno » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 pm

We decided to get out & about for Australia Day, so met up with the parent's in-law for a long weekend of camping at Glendon.

About 30mins SW of Warwick, via Thane, Glendon is a 1600 acre property that can be accessed by 2WD car. The property also caters to a lot of trail bike riders & the occaisonal 4WDer. Don't worry about the bikes either. There is a 5kmh limit that is enforced. The rule is one warning and then you are asked to leave. Same rule for everyone, not just the bikes. For those with pets, dogs are allowed too. Just have to be on a leash or a runner at all times.

We finally got out there to a hot, dusty, dry day with little to no shade left for the tent and the parent's camper.

We did manage to get somewhere that allowed for afternoon shade & set up camp. The evening brought with it the usual thunderstorm that tried very hard to tear the place apart.

Saturday morning arrived and you would have barely noticed that it had rained so hard the night before. After breakfast we decided to head over to the dam located on the property. At least we could keep cool here. With the wind coming off the water, it made for a very pleasant spot to sit , swim, drink. Whatever took your fancy.

Sunday afternoon and we decided we should take a drive around the 30Km of station tracks that are on the property. The tracks for the most part are VERY easy. The main thing to look out for is the sharp rocks that are all over the tracks.

When you get to the property and check in, you are given a mud map of the tracks. The thing is next to useless as most of the time you can't really tell where you are in relation to anything. It doesn't help that there are a lot of bike tracks disecting the main tracks. Anyway, we managed to get ourselves to a nice little picnic area just beside Thane creek. It allowed us to get out & stretch our legs and have a quick look around.

While at this spot, there was a mudhole that would have been great to play in with the Jeep, but we only had the one car & I couldn't see a bike being able to tow us out should we get stuck. I decided that I had better leave it till next time.

The photo doesn't do justice to the drop off into the mud.

A good time had by all. I think it would be nicer in the spring or autumn when it is not so hot.

John.
Johnno

Re: QLD - Glendon Camping

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:37 am

Lovely spot, Johnno ... and delightful photos! :grin:

How do you contact the owners to book? What are the charges? Facilities? I expect there is no 240v power available, I know that's not what bush campers want but I like 5 star camping ;)

Thank you for sharing :grin:

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Johnno » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Elaine,

The website is:
http://www.glendoncamping.com.au/index.html

We just gave them a call to book.

The camp ground has both powered ang un-powered sites. It is easily accessible by 2WD as well. Plenty of room for vans, tents, etc. I can't remember the charges exactly, but I think we paid about $40-50 for the 3 days. That was for two adults and one infant.

Facilities include flushing toilets, hot & cold showers, fireplaces on each campsite. There are two toilet blocks. The older one is woodfired for the hot water. The newer block is gas fired. When we were there the grounds were pretty much full & we never had the hot water go out.

Hope this helps.

John.
Johnno

Postby dea » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:49 am

we love glendon !!! have been twice now & are going back in october for 5 days , dave the manager can never do enough for us ..the tracks are a bit rough in spots and bikes & 4wds share yracks but we had no issues what so ever & we were there in june long weekend when it was VERY busy ... great place for kids to learn to ride too ... & cheap as .. $9 a night peradult & $3.50 for kids i think from memory .. think it cost us $40 a night .. which is so cheap
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby gmhemi » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:23 pm

We also went there in june 2008 which was a drout at the time so it was very dusty ,but we had a great time. I would say it would be perfect this time of year and green to. It is a motorbike park but we didn't have a bother with them and the gold fosiking didn't give any riches(at all). There were some professional type gold fossikers there and they showed us there results which was interesting.Next time we might stay in the paddock area so I can get some Astronomy pictures of the stars.
gmhemi
Camping King

Return to Queensland