What 4x4 do you drive?

Let’s hear about all those weekend toys for the boys (and girls) boats, skis, camper trailers, motor homes, 4wheel drives OK even airplanes (again add the make and model to the title we will organise as it gets unmanageable).

What 4x4 do you drive?

Postby OzeBoy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:03 am

Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a buying a 4x4. I've never had one before so I'm new to it and am only starting to research what's out there. I'm looking to spend no more than $35k. At present I'm considering the new Grand Vitara 5 door petrol, or a Forester or x-trail but the x-t might not be what I'm after. Often when I go camping I come across roads that would be better suited for a 4x4. Not necessarily a large one but I'm sure a soft-roader would suit. Heavily corrugated roads or roads with too many small rocks that would wreck my current car's suspension. So i'm wanting to find out what 4x4's some of you drive, what it enables you to do and where to go, and what your views are on some of the entry level soft-roaders etc. I'm probably not 100% clear on what i want but just wanted to get some discussion going on what you drive and what's good. I guess things will become clearer on what i want and what's best suited as I continue to research. So please excuse my confusion or lack of clarity on what I want. Perhaps just share anyting you can :)
Thanks guys and gals.
OzeBoy
Camping King

Re: What 4x4 do you drive?

Postby Ricklanga » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm

I drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Pajero exceed. Paid $28,000 for it in '07 and still see them selling for more. Have not had any trouble with it so far and I love the way it drives. It's just so damn comfortable. The most I spent on filling up on a normal week was about $80 for about 250kms of travel and that's when fuel prices were through the roof. I'm no expert on 4x4's as this is only my 2nd (my other one was an old rodeo that I had about 17 years ago) but from where I stand it was $28,000 well spent.

Good luck with the research and whatever you get I hope you have many enjoyable and trouble free years with it.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Suzuki Grand Vitara Prestige. 2.7 litre V6 auto coupled with a Camel light offroad camper.

While I travel alone, this will take me anywhere I want to go. I am not an extreme offroader and do like out of the way places.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Malcur » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:35 am

I drive a 2005 Prado GXL V6 4 Litre (Petrol). I previously owned a Subaru Forester, but found that while it handled most tracks I wanted to tackle, it did so with a struggle. Also bought an off-road camper trailer and the Forester was at max capacity when towing. The Prado handles everything I have thrown at it with ease, and tows the camper trailer like it's not there. The best car I have ever driven.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:23 am

We too drive a Mitsubishi Pajero, be it a little older, 1997.
We love the thing, it's comfortable and reasonable with the fuel.
It's all to do with where you intend to go, off-road or soft-road.
I prefer the larger off-roader as their built more appropriately for where their driven and they have Low-Range, which is useful in a range of situations.
As for Pajero vs Prado vs Patrol etc et etc, they are all capable, some having advantages in places whilst the other's have different advantages. Horses for courses.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:13 pm

:mrgreen:

I drive a Daihatsu rocky, but I use it for stupid 4x4ing where you break stuff.

The newer models - 1993-1997 have IFS, and an Inter cooled Turbo Diesel engine (they go like stink for a diesel). If your considering something small like a GV but want to save some coin, I'd look at one of these. Unless you have a family, they are a bit small. Can find mint ones for around 7-10 max. Tat leaves you with 25k to blow on a small camper trailer :lol:

Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Teabag » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:50 pm

What vehicle is best for you is a hard one and a question only you can honestly answer. We all have different needs, wants and expectaions from our vehicles which can make choosing one very difficult. My advice is to get out there and test drive has many as you can. Once you have test driven them all you need to weight up your requirements for camping and other activities you maybe active in. Yes, the smaller soft roaders do have there place but for me and my family we need space and tough 4wd to get to remote places to fit all the associated camping gear in etc......Good Luck....

My rig and Camper..........

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby bockstar » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:37 pm

Not the best photo but here's the Tribute in front of Uluru, July 08.

Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi OzeBoy

We have a 1983 Landcruiser wagon on LPG. I paid $3000 for it when I left Sydney to live in the country and work in Canberra. It's old and needs a bit of work doing to it.

To save some space on the board have a look at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2952 to get an idea of what the old girl is all about.

Over the years I have driven a couple of Foresters and a Territory and a few weeks back was in a friends Outlander. They are all more comfortable that the 'Cruiser. They all look nicer, are more fuel efficient and have trickier bits on them. The 'Cruiser has a lot more clearance and is probably capable of doing off road things with less chance of getting stuck completely. I asked a ranger about a 4WD track through Deepwater NP, and the first thing he asked - what 4WD, the told me he advises against going down the track in a soft roader. To this day I am glad I had the 'Cruiser. Probably would have made it down through there is a soft roader, but on the ranger's advice probably wouldn't have attempted it. Is it the old girl the best car in the world? Nope!

Having said that I am already nagging the Minister for Finance to approve spending on a replacement diesel 4WD, and the plan is either Landcruiser or Patrol.

What should you buy - no idea. I like the 'Cruiser as it suits what we do, and I could afford it at the time I bought it. At the end of the day that's what you need. Something that you can afford, and will do what it is you ask of it.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:06 pm

We have a Mazda Bravo Diesel Dual Cab 4x4 (you can guess the colour). The advantages are space and the off road ability. Have a good look at them whilst out looking :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Nissan Patrol '01 4.2TD here and I wouldnt have it any other way (unless I had Teabags truck!)

Patrols are a bit of an agricultrual vehicle and unless you need a large wagon or large towing capacity or want to do more extreme 4x4ing you'd probably better off in something like a second hand x-trail or similar sized 4x4.

The newer 4x4s with electronic 4x4 modes are extremely smart and more capable than most people give them credit for.

A decent set of tyres, a compressor, some tyre deflators and a recovery kit will get almost any all wheel drive vehicle with reasonable clearance more places than you'd imagine.

Automatic vehicles tow better than manual and are arguably better off road.
The hold their value better and are more wife friendly.

A smaller "soft roader" will handle better on road and lets face it where do you spend more time?

Personally I think the x-trail & D40 navara are brilliant family four wheel drives. Easy to drive, stylish, easy on the go juice and are cheaper to buy and service than the toyota equivilants.

I dont mind the triton - but I worry about mitsubishi.
Subaru I dont really like - blown subaru motors up so im always a little sus. That said they are supposed to be good vehicles.
Suzuki is always the under dog. Nice cars. Possibly a little small for a family. Great for a young couple or empty nesters who need something to get off the tarmac on the weekend camping trip.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HeathGQ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Nissan patrol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HeathGQ
Boy Scout

Postby jonno » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Teabag wrote:Image

Thats a beautiful setup Teabag..... something I want to have eventually :)
jonno
Boy Scout

Postby Teabag » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:07 am

jonno wrote:
Teabag wrote:Image

Thats a beautiful setup Teabag..... something I want to have eventually :)

You wouldn't be a Jonno I know from the Peel 4wd Club by any chance? If not, thanks for the comment. Lived in W.A (Perth) for around 10 years and loved it......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby Bill snd Morag » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:33 pm

2006 Nissan Navara STR 3.0 Turbo Diesel Dual Cab
Lots and lots of mods
Not bad for a family vehicle. Very decent on fuel. Drives very nice.
Pulls our Cape York wherever we want.
I have had a 40mm suspension lift put it mine so there was no sag when hooking up the c/t.
Bill
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Recreation Vehicles