QLD - Boreen Point

QLD - Boreen Point

Postby amanda » Tue May 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Sorry about the size of the photo's here - I resized them in Photobucket and they look fine, however everytime I try to load them on here they expand again. Sorry!

I'm just back from a week at Boreen Point. I hadn't been there in 2 years, but I'm pleased to say it is just as lovely as ever.

The managers have changed over, but the new ones are just as nice as the old ones and keep the place very neat and tidy. The amenities block has toilets, hot showers, and areas for washing. There isn't a camp kitchen as such, however there is a covered BBQ area with tables and chairs. There are a few fireplaces scattered about the camp, and this is the only place you can have an open fire. We were fortunate to have one right outside our tent, which was a blessing because it was a little chilly at night. Firewood can be purchased from the managers for $10 a bag, and all proceeds go to the rural bushfire brigade. Site fees were $8 per adult per night. Pet's are not permitted, and we were entertained one afternoon by one of the managers on his pushbike trying to chase a local brown cattle dog out of the park. The dog defintely had his measure!

The camp is on the banks of Lake Cooroibah, and there is a little sandy beach for swimming. You'll see plenty of bird life about - we were visited by kookaburra's, galahs, ducks, whip birds, and of course the odd crow or two. Canoes and kayaks can be hired from the managers, or small power boats can be hired just a short stroll away from the park. The town really only has a local store and a pub, but you can get pretty much all you need, and Tewantin is only about a 15 minute drive for any extras.

We took a drive out to Elanda Point Caravan Park to have a sticky beak - although it was very picturesque, the multitude of signs pointing out the do's, or should I say dont's of the place left us with the feeling that you'd only have to f*rt and the manager would be telling you to keep it down. There were literally signs advising against nearly everything - no campfires, alcohol consumption to be limited, groups only permittetd to use the camp kitchen, and the list went on and on.

Here's a couple of shots of our sport at Boreen:

A local visitor

Some friends at my campsite:

Looking at the sunrise from my tent:
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Boreen Point

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks again Amanda, looks like you had a great couple of weeks camping out and about....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue May 13, 2008 5:00 pm

gypsylady wrote:Thanks again Amanda, looks like you had a great couple of weeks camping out and about....

I certainly did - though I could easily do with another couple!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 pm

amanda wrote:
I certainly did - though I could easily do with another couple!

That seems to always be the case I reckon... I know it is with me...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Wed May 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks Amanda
We have only been there for a day trip to check it out and it was a rainy day so I didn't see much
There were a lot of people living onsite - is that right? - some of the caravans looked like they were about to fall down?!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby amanda » Wed May 14, 2008 4:35 pm

There are some vans over the back that are there permanently, however they are not lived in permanently - the park has an 8 week total stay limit. My guess would be they are only used over holiday periods. In fact, everytime I've been there I've never seen anyone in a van other than the managers van. They do spoil the look of the place I admit, and I'm extremely surprised the council allows them there on a permanent basis. As I said though, they are toward the rear of the park, so all the nice waterfront sites are available to the rest of us.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby kazzakanary » Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks Amanda - very quick response!! LOL
I think because it was a dreary day I had a dreary outlook - we will have to go and camp there and suss it out properly!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby amanda » Wed May 14, 2008 4:38 pm

Trust me - you'd really enjoy it!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby AliKat » Fri May 30, 2008 1:52 am

Glad you had a great time Amanda, we used to stay at Boreen and Elanda when we were kids. We too went for a drive to Elanda as we have family that live on the same road and Elanda has changed so much from 15years ago... ALso its Lake Cootharaba not Cooroibah ;)
AliKat
Boy Scout

Postby Smileandhug » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Yeah it was a top place to camp and still is. I first went there in the early 90's and it was $2 a car load.
But I must agree nice to go camping, sometimes you can be lucky and find a new fellow camper but sometimes you end up by yourself. Has happen to me and why I wanna meet some people in here. :)
I AM LIKE A HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH WATER IN IT - I AM WELL
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Re: QLD - Boreen Point

Postby Brenden08 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey everyone.

Im new to the forum and was just wondering if you can fish at Boreen Point and if so is it any good?

Me and a few mates are looking for somewhere to camp and possibly throw a line into the water.

Thanks.
Brenden08

Postby amanda » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:56 am

You can certainly fish there, though not being a fisherperson, I can't really tell you how good it is. I only know that I see alot of people up there fishing from the shore or from tinnies.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mlien68 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Don't go to Elanda Point - I'd go here instead
mlien68

Return to Queensland