Securing your trailer

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Securing your trailer

Postby Brett A » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Just wondering the best way and what everyone uses to help prevent the theft of their trailers and vans

Brett
Brett A
Boy Scout

Re: Securing your trailer

Postby CampGrrlz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:07 pm

There's a number of different locks for the coupling, choice is a matter of opinion and pocket.

I used a coupling lock when leaving the camper in a caravan park. When we parked it in the street or in the storage place, I added 2 multi-wire bike chain-things (not made of chain but I don't know the word for it), one through each wheel rim and onto the axle. I also used a padlock in place of one of the shackles for regular towing and street parking.

One of the coupling locks at Super Cheap which I considered just recently is designed to be used to lock the trailer to the vehicle for overnight parking but not for towing.

The current trailer weighs 85kg and a strong person could pick it up and walk off with it, coupling lock and bike chain notwithstanding. I've bought a 'trailer cop' an el cheepo from Super Cheap and another bike chain but haven't put them to the test yet. It's a trailer for camping equipment rather than a camper trailer. Naturally the original set of locks and chains were sold when we decided there was to be no more camper trailers :cry:

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Most use couplong locks which can be gotten around quite easily by unbolting the vehicles towbar.

Use the usual coupling lock system with one of these either side and the most eager crook would be looking elsewhere.

Easy, cheap to come by materials and as long as you can hold your own at welding, shouldn't take long to make.

Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Redback » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:40 am

Mine is insured, if they want it they can have it, there isn't anything in it that we can't replace, same goes for the car, besides if they realy want it, all the locks and anti theft devices in the world won't stop them.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 am

I dropped my friend home at Caloundra after the weekend at Boreen, and her neighbours had parked their boat and trailer right out the front of their house over the weekend. At some point during Saturday night someone has come along and set the thing on fire. Apparently the owners were alerted by a passing motorist, but by that time it was well alight. I've got some photo's of the aftermath that I'l load later. It was a complete and utter mess, but thankfully they were insured.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Redback wrote: if they really want it, all the locks and anti theft devices in the world won't stop them.

That's so ... ditto for the Amplimesh on the windows and triple-locks on the screen doors at home BUT it stops the casual thief. And casual theft is the most common form, so I hear.

Having something tough to remove securing the wheels to the frame is the way to go. I just use the coupling lock as something which would take a bit more time to remove and just a deterrent to the light-fingered passer-by.

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Return to Camper Trailers