NSW - Blue Mountains, Lithgow

NSW - Blue Mountains, Lithgow

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:15 pm

Only an hour from Sydney’s west, and situated on the Western Slopes of the Blue Mountains, Lithgow is a great place for almost anyone to enjoy a day, weekend or even more away from Sydney, without facing a huge drive. I've stayed in and around Newnes State forest at least Six times now, and enjoy it more every time I go. As far as activities go, there are some a few historical sites of interest, such as the old Shale Mining Town, and of course, the Zig Zag Railway. At the end of Glow-worm Tunnel road there is, you guessed it, the glow worm tunnel. This used to provide access for mining, but many years ago was shut down along with the oil shale mines. Since then, glow-worms have moved in and make for a spectacular 400m walk through the pitch-black tunnel. You will need a torch but I recommend turning it off for at least a few minutes in the middle so your eyes can adjust to the light and for the glow-worms to start 'glowing'. There is a short, easy bushwalk from the car park to the actually tunnel.

For campers, there are numerous places to camp along the main rd, which is dirt. It is easily accessible for 2WD vehicles but you will most definitely be getting very dusty. The main 'camping ground' is Bungleboori, but, if you can do with out the so called comfort of a pit toilet, I recommend you find somewhere else to camp as Motorbike riders generally call this place home, and are very noisy. Last time I was there, we camped at Bungleboori camp ground out of 'necessity', and I can safely say it was the 1st and last time I camp there. As far as I know, riding unregistered vehicles (such as dirt bikes), on paper, is not allowed, but generally it is accepted. This is understandable as there are very few places left to ride, so please, be understanding, and exercise caution around tight/blind corners.

As I said, there is no shortage of places to camp amongst the plantation pines, or the native bush, you just have to be a little bit adventurous, and have time to explore some of the tracks off of the main road. Some of these however are only suitable for 4WD vehicles, so exercise caution, but most 4WD tracks are easily recognised. On that note, one of the most popular activities here (next to dirt bike riding), is 4WDing, and there are plenty of tracks to test the limits of both driver, and vehicle.

Much of the State forest is plantation Pine, but further up Glow Worm Tunnel Rd, it becomes National Park, full of native Fauna and Flaura, there is a good chance you will see kangaroos, and possibly wombats but they tend to be harder to spot and are also more shy.

For more information visit http://www.lithgow-tourism.com, or just post your question in forum of http://www.camping.com.au

Written by our friend: Ozzycamperboy
Joy
Joy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:36 pm

The all important pictures:

In amongst the plantation pines

Waratah, found near 'Waratah Ridge Rd', off 'Old Coach Rd'

Rock formations at the lithgow end of Old Coach

The 4x4ing:

Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Mezzing Around » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:41 pm

Hi Joy

spent 5 months working in that area and every weekend chasing the sights - absolutely spectacular anywhere between Bathurst and Sydney

Ozzy

Im glad we didnt find your favourite tracks

I would suggest people going ti look at the glow worm tunnel take a torch we were amazed at how many families tried it without

The sights from the highway are spectacular but it is amazing what hidden treasures you find if you take the time to divert down some of the side tracks

20 odd weekends was simply not enough time to see it all
we shall return when time permits

Regards

Ernie
you dont know what you dont know!
Mezzing Around

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:18 pm

Mezzing Around wrote:Hi Joy

spent 5 months working in that area and every weekend chasing the sights - absolutely spectacular anywhere between Bathurst and Sydney

Ozzy

Im glad we didnt find your favourite tracks

I would suggest people going ti look at the glow worm tunnel take a torch we were amazed at how many families tried it without

The sights from the highway are spectacular but it is amazing what hidden treasures you find if you take the time to divert down some of the side tracks

20 odd weekends was simply not enough time to see it all
we shall return when time permits

Regards

Ernie

Yeah, its a beut place, I live so close but hardly ever get out ther :cry: , if fuel where back to the price it was 2 years ago I'd be there every other weekend but its about a nearly a full tank there and back :evil: . I got annoyed at people having their torches on when I went through the tunnel, whats the point having them on all the way, you can't see the worms :roll: . But you definately need it on for walking, lots sprained ankles otherwise :mrgreen:

If you like the area in Newnes SF you'd better make the most of it, from what I hear the Coolong (?) Foundation, and NPWS want to take over it to 'protect it for future generations' by locking them out of it :evil: From my understaning, it will mostly be a walking only area, except for the main rd (old coach?), so basically shutting down all the fun side tracks, which is insanity seeing how large it is :roll: More 4x4 places getting closed :cry:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Re: NSW - Blue Mountains, Lithgow

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 am

Heading back here in a few weeks to christen my new swag :armsup

I don't spose anyone knows if you can drive from old coach rd to Wolgan rd (Newnes)? Want to see the town of Newnes but don't want to back track an hr or so back through Lithgow.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby TBF » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:23 pm

That is a beautiful part of NSW
Spent a few days there after Christmas this year.

Thats a good looking GQ you had there.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:57 pm

A walk around the old industrial site is a couple of hours well spent. It is staggering to think that the population was once several hundred people when all that is left is the old pub and a few foundations.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:10 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:A walk around the old industrial site is a couple of hours well spent. It is staggering to think that the population was once several hundred people when all that is left is the old pub and a few foundations.

http://users.tpg.com.au/newnes/

That site claims 2000 people at its peak ::()
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby cokebottle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 am

Thanks for the great report, even though I live in the dead centre of God's country, I often forget how many great places there are to visit in the local area ;)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Return to NSW