Newbie to this forum

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Newbie to this forum

Postby McTavish » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Gidday everyone

This seems like a great forum. After years away from camping I am about to get back into it with my young family. I have a 4 and 7 year old as well as a wife who wants some "luxuries". Looking to buy some kit but not sure of which way to go.

I have been looking at the stores and reading some mags and at the end of the day it looks like I will need $5 - 10 K equipment! so don't want to waste much money early on bad purchases.

I have a Passat wagon with roof racks and tow bar, no roof top box and not much else.

Would appreciate any advice from members on how I should proceed.

Many thanks

David
McTavish

Re: Newbie to this forum

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:33 am

keep it simple and start off 'camping' at a van park or somewhere that offers toilets and showers. Ease the wife into it, no point turning her off on the 1st trip!

Ohh, and welcome to the forum!

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby TBF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:41 am

Welcome to the forum

I'm with HGMonaro

Ease the family into it. Toilets and showers are the way to go.

Were you looking at tents or a soft floor camper trailer?

What part of this great coutry are you from?
Members will have plenty of tips for that first outing somewhere not far from home.

cheers

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Yes purchase steadily and with thought,once you get out and about you will see many different set ups and you are constantly upgrading your stuff because you see something better,until you get it right.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby McTavish » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Cheers guys

The wife will be down the road at a motel first time up! I'm from Melbourne, not sure whether to start out with a tent or camper trailer.

Obviously good to keep costs reasonable at start, but it seems to me that a trailer outfit has alot going for it so might be more cost effective in the long run.

Happy to hear people's thoughts on this.
McTavish

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you could consider hiring a camper trailer before spending big bucks. They usually come pretty well set up and you will only need food and bedding.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:32 am

That was going to be my suggestion too....HIRE one first, as it will give you an indication of what will suit you. And hire a couple of different models over time...a soft floor a couple of times and then a hard floor as well. The soft floor will give you more space for thr family but you might find you prefer a hard floor option.

I had a soft floor CT for a number of years and only upgraded to a hard floor just under 2 years ago. In many ways I still prefer the soft floor CT, it was easy to put up whereas my hard floor has all the bells & whistles and one of the best kitchens out there. (IMO)

The other thing of course is by getting you 'out there' camping you will be able to look around at others and chat with people already doing it.

You will get a far better idea of what works and what does not from CT owners as opposed to sales people.

BTW...... WELCOME to the forum McTavish
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Welcome McTavish... :+

I was in your wife's position about 5 years ago and I was thrown in at the deep end by going bush camping first up (no showers,hot water, power or toilets!!!!) and I havent looked back as I had a ball. Just tell your wife that all she needs to take is a hat (my preference is baseball cap) for the bad hair days, sunnies for the no make up days and a full glass of wine at all times(as that makes everything alright most of the time) and the rest will all fall into place. :cheers

I agree with the others that hiring a CT is the way to go as your wife will have a queen bed to sleep in off the ground rather than an airmattress that ALWAYS goes down (yep told u I was thrown in the VERY deep end).

We started off with a massive tent and after a couple of years bought a second hand soft floor CT which I think is fabulous and I love it.....looking back now we probably should have gone straight to the CT and skipped the tent bit but then we wouldn't have all those great memories of putting the damn tent up!!!!! :-bang
I feel a bit like a camping princess now with the CT and hubby has even taken us to CP's with amenties blocks ::) which is like being in a five star hotel after bush camping. ::)
CP's are great for longer stays but I prefer bush camping on long weekends and easter with the whole campfire thing and let's not forget the "I like tent", now that's a tent that just keeps popping back up now matter how bad the wind gets :*** :*** and I dont think your wife is gunna love that tent too much by the sounds of it :***
Good luck with it.....make sure you let us all know how your first trip goes & wether your wife survives. :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Correction:
"I like tent" is "p.o.o. tent"
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:29 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Correction:

I am sure you mean and ensuite tent xmasbaby67

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm

gypsylady wrote:
xmasbaby67 wrote:Correction:

I am sure you mean and ensuite tent xmasbaby67

I guess it's the same thing regardless of what you call it, though ensuite is very polite - we all know what purpose it serves and that's a very important one!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:50 pm

It was the 'polite' that I was aiming for...after all we are trying to introduce this lady to camping in a 'nice' way.

And as a newbie an 'ensuite' would certainly be more attractive to me that the other....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 am

Sorry girls.... :oops:

We only do one thing in our "ensuite" tent and it is not showering thats for sure. It is a one room tent just big enough to fit a camode chair over the hole. Like I said before I was really thrown in at the VERY VERY deep end. :*** :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote: Like I said before I was really thrown in at the VERY VERY deep end. :*** :***

No xmasbaby67.....that requires a shovel and if you are lucky a roll of toilet paper...if not then some leaves will do the trick.

I remember my daughter producing a minty paper once for such a situation....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bill snd Morag » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:30 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Enjoy...
Bill
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Introductions: