Is my tent too big? Help!!!! Oztrail Villa

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Is my tent too big? Help!!!! Oztrail Villa

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi Sazzle,

We bought all our kids king single swags for Xmas with their names embroidered on each of them(one green for our 16yo boy, purple for our 14yo daughter and hot pink for our 12yo daughter) and they are so much better than the airbeds and sleeping bags we had for them before. I also went all out and bought the two girls matching canvas overnight bags(pink & purple) with their names also embroided on them so everyone knows whose is what and makes it really easy unpacking & repacking. ::)
The swags can be not only used for when we are camping but we also bring them out when the kids have a sleepover or when we have too many visitors and not enough beds. The kids also take them to their friends & relatives places if they stay over.

They are so quick & easy as they are already made up(i have mattress protectors,fitted and top sheet and a light blanket for summer or their sleeping bag included for winter) all we do is roll them out and they are ready to be slept in straight away, also they are waterproof.

Ours are Jordan Creek brand and have found them to be excellent, we went camping for two weeks over Xmas and the kids never complained once about being uncomfortable..
They are also a lifetime thing as they will take them with them when they eventually leave home and will have them forever. We paid around $270 for each one but found them to be worth every cent. :+ :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

I have an Oz Trail Villa

Postby LeahS » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi - Just letting you know that we have an Oztrail Villa and use it camping with 2 adults and 2 children (aged 3 and 10).

I was quite concerned initially about the size and having too much room... how wrong I was. To be honest once we set up our bed, both the kids beds and pulled out the towels, small bag of lego and toys and some bits and pieces there really wasn't too much room inside. I said to my husband that I thought the front screen was a bit of overkill however it came in handy on a few really windy days - the screen blocked out some of the wind so we set our camping chairs up in the screen room and read our books while the kids played inside the tent.

After that trip we considered buying a smaller tent just for weekends away - the forum members suggested we wait for the moment cause as they said that we would miss the space if we didn't have it.... something on our next trip I was grateful for.

We went camping (2 adults and 1 child) over the Aust Day long weekend (site at a beach caravan park) and it rained at some stage everyday. Post Xmas we had bought a Sun Gazebo which we set up in front of the screened room, which we set up our chairs, table, bbq, stove etc. This time we didn't use the sunroom for much else besides storing surfboards, plastic tubs, anything that you would want put away but accessible (which really freed up under the gazebo and inside meaning that we stayed dry.

(Before we bought ours) I did some calling around and generally (I say this because I haven't been told otherwise) that most sites will fit a tent our size - if you tell them the size they'll tell you whether it will fit or not.

The only negative that we have come across is that you do need 2 people to put it up.... I did manage to put up the tent without my husband however it was a pain and I needed a good drink afterwards. Make sure you practice putting it up (we looked like morons putting up our tent 4 times before we had even been anywere) - it did mean that when we went away we had the tent up in just over 30mins though. Our 10 year old is in charge of putting together the poles and our 3 year old is in charge of holding the bag of pegs and making sure we know where the hammer is.

Hope this helps - enjoy camping with the family.
Leah
LeahS
Boy Scout

Postby sazzle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks again for all the top tips; I guess we've got a lot to learn and a bigger car to buy!!

The swags sound like a great idea, but I think I'll hang on until the pair of them are old enough not to wet the swag! In fact weighing up the current budget it looks like we'll be taking the portacot and buying the 3yr old a $16 airbed from Big W.

Leah thanks for sharing your experience of the villa, I thought the fly screen bit at the front could be a substitute for one of those fly screen gazebos - we couldn't quite stretch ours out front when we did the indoor dry run so it was hard to see what might fit in there. We liked the idea of being able to sit 'outside' on a night once the kids were in bed without being eaten by the wildlife.

Thanks again, Labour weekend here we come :+
sazzle

Re: I have an Oz Trail Villa

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:56 am

LeahS wrote:Hi - Just letting you know that we have an Oztrail Villa and use it camping with 2 adults and 2 children (aged 3 and 10).

I was quite concerned initially about the size and having too much room... how wrong I was. To be honest once we set up our bed, both the kids beds and pulled out the towels, small bag of lego and toys and some bits and pieces there really wasn't too much room inside. I said to my husband that I thought the front screen was a bit of overkill however it came in handy on a few really windy days - the screen blocked out some of the wind so we set our camping chairs up in the screen room and read our books while the kids played inside the tent.

After that trip we considered buying a smaller tent just for weekends away - the forum members suggested we wait for the moment cause as they said that we would miss the space if we didn't have it.... something on our next trip I was grateful for.

We went camping (2 adults and 1 child) over the Aust Day long weekend (site at a beach caravan park) and it rained at some stage everyday. Post Xmas we had bought a Sun Gazebo which we set up in front of the screened room, which we set up our chairs, table, bbq, stove etc. This time we didn't use the sunroom for much else besides storing surfboards, plastic tubs, anything that you would want put away but accessible (which really freed up under the gazebo and inside meaning that we stayed dry.

(Before we bought ours) I did some calling around and generally (I say this because I haven't been told otherwise) that most sites will fit a tent our size - if you tell them the size they'll tell you whether it will fit or not.

The only negative that we have come across is that you do need 2 people to put it up.... I did manage to put up the tent without my husband however it was a pain and I needed a good drink afterwards. Make sure you practice putting it up (we looked like morons putting up our tent 4 times before we had even been anywere) - it did mean that when we went away we had the tent up in just over 30mins though. Our 10 year old is in charge of putting together the poles and our 3 year old is in charge of holding the bag of pegs and making sure we know where the hammer is.

Hope this helps - enjoy camping with the family.
Leah

Some really GREAT advice there Leah.....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Wrecksie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Hi Sazzle - I've had an Oztrail Villa tent for a couple of years now and have had the same concerns particularly when staying at tourist parks. We're pretty much used to it though just need to check ahead on where we plan on staying so we don't get caught on a small site. We've learnt to make good use of all the space and with 2 girls aged 12 and 14 that bit of extra space is pretty important.

as others have said so far - practice putting it up at home before venturing out though you could provide some great entertainment for other campers sitting around watching you!

stick with it and good luck
Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to Gear Guide