Standing Height Work Bench

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Standing Height Work Bench

Postby markannab » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:53 am

Could anyone make a suggestion on this one? I want to buy or build a bench top that can be worked at without bending for food preparation. I think a regular kitchen bench is around 900mm high but most camping tables/benches are far lower than that. It doesn't need to be large. 400mm x 500mm would be acceptable.

I've been playing with ideas of a bench that clips onto the side of the trailer but given up on that. I've now come up with an idea of a wooden box of marine ply complete with a little door so the box can store things. That box, when placed on the sink table or dining table provides the additional height we need.

But everything seems to be a big compromise - the latter idea being a small work area but a sizeable box that takes up room compared to a flat bench top with folding legs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Re: Standing Height Work Bench

Postby steve&Kate » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Mark,

I have a table that I purchased from our local camping store, do not remember how much it was but it folds in half with the legs folding into itself.

Not sure how high it is but is a good height for a work bench that is what I use it for, last holidays we pulled down our anexe and left up a gazebo on our last night, anyway it started to sprinkle & I was worried about our fridge, the fridge was on one of those fridge stands maybe 10 - 12" high, I then extended the table to it full height & put that over the fridge covered the table with towels to stop it getting wet, did turn the gas off due to it being night and I did not want to cause a fire.

Anyway as you can imagine it was pretty high by this time and still had about 6' clearance from fridgee to table.

Check out your local camping store they may have somehting similar, Mark I'm about to go out but tomorrow will see if it's got a brand name on it.

Cheers
Kate
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby LeahS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:00 am

Mark,

Ours sounds similar to Kate's, our is the Lifetime brand (http://www.buylifetime.com) It has three height levels, the legs fold in and it folds up in half. Ours is the 4ft x 2ft Fold-in-Half Adjustable Height Table however I think there are other sizes available.

Cheers
Leah
LeahS
Boy Scout

Postby markannab » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks. That table doesn't look bad.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:15 pm

You looked at the options available from Drifta.
Im sure Luke would be able to help if he doesnt have an off the shelf option available.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby markannab » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:46 am

Thanks for the tips. We found a solution on eBay and it arrived yesterday. $102.00 delivered. It's lighweight, two meters long and, importantly, is 800mm high. Not quite 900mm but high enough to work comfortably at while standing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby chisel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Another tick for the lifestyle?/lifetime? ones that have three heights and fold in half. Also very useful as filleting table when you've caught some fish.
chisel
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide