Waterproofing Camper Trailer Tent

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Waterproofing Camper Trailer Tent

Postby lorichevy8 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi, We have to water proof our camper trailer tent before we venture out with it. I have purchased some Aqua Proof 5ltrs and was wondering if anyone has undertaken this task. I am looking for hints on how to best go about it.

Any information is appreciated

Lori & Dave
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Re: Waterproofing Camper Trailer Tent

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Why do you feel the need to waterproof it??

Being canvas it should only need a really good wetting down (rain preferably) in order to season the canvas. Sometimes they need more than one good soaking but that should be all it needs.

The last thing I would be doing is putting any waterproofing on it unless you have a very good reason for it.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby lorichevy8 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:18 pm

We were told when we bought it that we should waterproof it. They also did mention that we have to wet it so the canvas shrinks.
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:47 pm

No way I would be touching it with waterproofing at this point.

Definitely set it up even if in the back yard when it next rains and give it a good soaking, let it dry out and then if possible give it another. Usually that is enough but on occasion you might require one or two more.

My current camper has been rained up a couple of times and has never leaked. Mind you I would normally always put a tarp over which of course solves the problem of a leaky camp. The only time I have not done this was when the CT was new and I wanted to season the canvas.

Camped recently with a girlfriend of mine and it was only the second time out in her new CT. The first time it rained lightly and she had no problems at all.....this last time it rained quite a bit more and she got a small amount in through 2 of the seams.

Next time will tell if it is fully seasoned or not....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Yes when they tell you water proof it,that`s what they mean with water ,i see by your other post the spray wasn`t successful,i hope it hasn`t ruined your set up.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby lorichevy8 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:39 pm

As part of the instructions with our camper trailer they tell you to season it as well as water proof it with the Aqua Proof. We have sent emails to both the camper trailer people and the manufacturers of Aqua Proof asking for an explanation.

It looks terrible but I don't think we will ever get wet.
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:10 am

Like I said in another post....that is what you get when you waterproof....a layer or film of waterproofing over the canvas.

And you will always get it...sometimes less rather than more depending upon how you mix and apply it.

The problem now is....if you do remove it you will have none of the natural waterproofing qualities of canvas as you will have removed them along with the added waterproofing.

From a visual perspective, the appearance will not get any better for every time you fold the camper up it will mark more & more in the folds due to the added waterproofing agent used.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide