Tarp Poles

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Tarp Poles

Postby OzeBoy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:17 am

I'm in the market for some tarp poles and am wondering if there is anyhting I need to know about them? Is a certain metal better than others? What should I be aware of? I'm wanting to set up a tarp at the front of my tent to use as a shelter to cook and hang out if it rains. My tent is fairlt large and am curious do people completely cover their tent with tarp or just the front/door area?
OzeBoy
Camping King

Re: Tarp Poles

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:14 am

Poles made from unobtanium are the best, but hard to come by.

You can get regular run of the mill extendable poles that will do what you want from Kmart/Big W/BCF etc, for under $10 each.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 am

I use a large enough tarp to cover the tent and about 6/8 feet in front,it keeps the tent cooler and the rain off and everything stays a lot dryer.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:21 pm

I use a 30 x 20 tarp to cover the whole of my CT with the exception of the extended awning.

There is a little overhang both sides and at the rear which gives extra protection over the windows.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ricklanga » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:05 pm

I bought a pole kit from BCF just before Australia day weekend for for $259 and an 18 x 24 UltraRig tarp for $99. That's a total of $358. Downunder quoted me about $454 from memory. All the poles, ropes etc. are excellent quality and the whole setup seems quite strong. One thing to watch out for is that apparently some of the cheaper poles have the thicker end at the bottom which means they fill with water when it rains.

The kit consists of:

* 12 x 230cm adjustable galv. steel poles
* 2 x 275cm adjustable galv. steel poles
* 1 x 554cm adjustable galv. steel square ridge pole
* 1 x 275cm adjustable galv. steel support pole
* 6 x 6mm x 3mm double guy ropes with wooden runners
* 8 x 6mm x 3mm single guy ropes with wooden runners
* 20 8mm x 300mm steel tent pegs
* 20 200mm zink coated steel tracer springs
* Bonus pole bracket hook

Our tent is 6m x 3m and we covered the entire tent with a little overhang each end and a nice 2.4m x 7.2m awning out front. By covering the tent you will keep things a lot cooler and dryer if it rains. When we broke camp last trip it was raining so I moved everything down one end of the awning and reversed the trailer under. This allowed me to pack up everything including the tent without getting all the gear wet. There are some pics of our setup here http://forum.camping.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=2430&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby chisel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 pm

If you have the money then the aluminium twist poles (supapeg make them) are excellent. Very lightwieght, easy to use and easy to pack. But $17 or so for 1 pole.
chisel
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:45 am

I do also have some ss poles but did have to get them made.....they were for a specific purpose and are not adjustable so are a bit limited in their use. If I was going that way again I would definitely pay the extra for adjustable.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby OzeBoy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm off to a few stores tonight, including BCF, so I'll see what's around.
OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby OzeBoy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am

I bought an Oztrail D-ring tarp on the weekend along with some poles. I was reading the leaflet that comes with the tarp. It says to" roll your tarp" and not fold it. Anyone know why? Does it make any difference?
OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:34 am

I always loosely fold my tarps back into the same folds as when it was originally packed, never had an issue so far & some of my tarps are quite old. I also only ever buy either Durarig or Ultrarig tarps, both with D rings.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:19 pm

I think rolling them avoids the wear and tear in the crease lines.I always just fold them loosely. yes i also use Ultrarig D ring.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping Tips and Locations