What 4x4 to Buy?...

Let’s hear about all those weekend toys for the boys (and girls) boats, skis, camper trailers, motor homes, 4wheel drives OK even airplanes (again add the make and model to the title we will organise as it gets unmanageable).

What 4x4 to Buy?...

Postby Woodsy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Today Amanda and myself went on a drive through the Watagan state forest in her car. BIG mistake.. The little thing didn't handle it very well as its only a Hyundai Accent and some of the roads were abit rough for it. We saw all these 4x4's up there obviously having a great time doing there thing. It got us thinking that we would love a 4x4 to get around in so we can get to more places to camp and to generally explore. We don't have alot of money and the purchase of a 4x4 would involve selling my current car which is a old Commodore. I was thinking of maybe a old 80's model Holden Jackaroo? I have had a look online and they are quite cheap and you always see them around. I have also spotted afew of the classis Land rovers with there original motor although they are abit to primitive for the gf's liking although i understand they are great for 4x4ing? Correct me if i am wrong. I will also be using this to tow my go kart and if its big enough to sleep in too. As alot of you are experienced 4x4er's i would just like your opinions.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: What 4x4 to Buy?...

Postby Redback » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:04 am

Old Land Rover Defenders are a bit rough and wouldn't suit you realy, an old early to mid 90s Disco on the other hand are pretty comfortable, also a GQ Nissan Patrol, early 80s Land Cruisers are pretty good too (these being the dearest of the 3), all these vehicles range from $6000 to $15,000, if fuel economy is a worry then DO NOT buy petrol versions of these I've just mentioned.

Have a look at a diesel Pajero, Daihatsu Rocky, Hilux, Rodeo, with the Jackaroo, try to get as new as you can afford.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi Baz.

Yeah prices are the big problem at the moment. I am one of the thousand that have been put off work in the last 6 months and am struggling to find new employment which sucks but it gives me time to day dream about where the next camping trip will be! Fuel wise something economic would be a big bonus and if its diesel thats okay too. I have been offered a old LWB Pajero for $1000 with 300 000km on it which doesn't really bother me as long as its reliable but lets face it the less km on it the better.

I have been looking for some of the ones you mentioned and haven't found to many at the moment that catch my eye under the " i won't leave you stranded in the middle of no where" mind set haha. At one stage i even thought about just getting the suspension in my old commodore lifted and using it as she is a tough old girl and i know the mechanics of them back to front.

I will continue to keep my eye out though... One i noticed you didn't mention was the path finder.. Are they any good?

Cheers

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Have a look at this one on my forum http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... 1234331663
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Redback » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:48 am

TUFF wrote:Hi Baz.

Yeah prices are the big problem at the moment. I am one of the thousand that have been put off work in the last 6 months and am struggling to find new employment which sucks but it gives me time to day dream about where the next camping trip will be! Fuel wise something economic would be a big bonus and if its diesel thats okay too. I have been offered a old LWB Pajero for $1000 with 300 000km on it which doesn't really bother me as long as its reliable but lets face it the less km on it the better.

I have been looking for some of the ones you mentioned and haven't found to many at the moment that catch my eye under the " i won't leave you stranded in the middle of no where" mind set haha. At one stage i even thought about just getting the suspension in my old commodore lifted and using it as she is a tough old girl and i know the mechanics of them back to front.

I will continue to keep my eye out though... One i noticed you didn't mention was the path finder.. Are they any good?

Cheers

Josh

Hi Josh, yes I understand job wise, been there, the Pathfinder is a good car, the older ones are a bit gutless and heavy on fuel though, the Isuzu MU or Terrano would be a better choice as they have a diesel in the model line up, only the lastest Pathy has a diesel engine.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm

I am now carless... and although i only sold it last night i am already getting itchy feet to have another car.. We are on a very tight budget of $2000 which will either get me a Commodore station wagon or a cheap 4x4 / ute.. I have done the ebay / tradingpost / carsales etc thing but can't find anything thats any good... Anyone able to broaden my horizons on what i should get thats suited to my budget.

Cheers :?#

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Titch » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Josh.
Sorry about your loss of job.
Please take this as advice,not as ridicule.I have the best intentions.
If you can only afford 2 grand for a vehicle.the Commodre is the go.
A 4by4 for 2 grand will be a hole in your pocket waiting to happen if it goes pear shaped.
A c,dore will allow you to source parts from just about Aldi.
Think deep and forget what you want, think of what you can afford.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Just wait till you have a job and have 4k!!! Then you can buy a cruiser and be like all the other cool kids 8) :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Titch i will take your advice on board.. and you are right.. a $2000 4x4 will be problems... more than likely in the middle of the bush!

Cool Kids ozzy?... I thought it was called over compensating? :***
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:56 pm

:oops:

Only for the Rocky I owned the last 5 years!
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Bradd » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:35 pm

We're looking to get a 4X4, seen a few Dual Fuel Land Cruisers in our price range, (under $8,000)
Gotta be Dual Fuel or can't afford to drive it anywhere lol.
6 - 7 seater is a big Plus as we have 3 kids and always seems to be someone else wants to tag along

Is there any thing to watch out for with them ? any models/years to give a miss etc ?

Are considering other brands/models like Patrol or Pajero but are less aware of reputations etc.
Would be happy with a Disco or Jeep but been warned about parts prices being expensive.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Bradd

I just sold my 60 Series Landcruiser, which has been replaced with a 1994 300TDi Disco. Most of the 60 Series are getting a bit long in the tooth now. The 80 Series would be a better option. The Patrols and Pajeros are as capable as the Landcruiser for most of us. Most of us are not going to get the vehicle (no matter what brand) to the limits of it's 4x4 capability.

If you are going for dual fuel check that there is a rebuilt LPG head on the machine. It doesn't hurt to upgrade rings as well. My Cruiser was LPG only and the rings grabbed and stopped then engine! The mechanic tells me most likely from lack of lubrication that would normally come from burning petrol.

I ended up with the Disco when I decided that the Cruiser was too much mucking around to bother about. The yard I bought it from had a 1984 petrol Patrol and the 1994 Disco for the same price. The option was a 2.5 litre intercooled turbo diesel or a 4-odd litre petrol engine and either a 15 or 25 year old vehicle. Disco came with 12 month warranty and 12 month NSW rego. Patrol - no such deal.

Better than that I like driving the Disco and have had it off road a couple of times and it feels ok there. Currently it is using about 8.6l/100km. With diesel chaper than petrol at the moment its actually pretty economical, about 10 cents per kilometre.

The main disadvantage with the Disco is not so much that parts are expensive, it is more that you need a mechanic that knows about Land Rovers. I don't know that a diesel will chew through parts at an unreasonable rate. Mine was using water, so I took it to my local mechanic. He couldn't pressure test it because the radiator is plugged rather than capped. I found a Landy mechanic and he sorted my problem within an hour and for about $120.

I guess my point is that it's not so much about brand names and 4x4 capability. More often than not it is about getting a good one and treating it well. Sometimes a vehicle will suprise you. The Disco certainly has surprised me.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:55 am

I would actually stray away from the 80 series - and only for one reason - price!
A GQ patrol of similar age and condition will be $1000s cheaper.
A mate of mine who is a toyota boy (and so is his father in law) just bought a GQ after getting back from 12 months OS purely because of price. He really wanted a Hilux or 80 series but just couldnt afford the same quality vehicle with a toyota badge as he could get if he went for a nissan.

I am a little nissan biased (I drive a GU) but I have had both. Personally I think the 80 series is a brilliant vehicle - but the price of them makes them a worry. also some of them on dual fuel had issues with flooding. That might have been a conversion issue more than a car issue though.

I also love Discos and Landys. Discos can be had for really good money. But as suggested get a mechanic that knows them. They are a lot different to drive compared with pretty much any other vehicle though as they are really "springy"
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bradd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks for your advice, I will try to keep it in mind when I fall in love with a particular car :)
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 pm

I used my payout to buy a Suzuki Vitara 4Door which has a few goodies to make it go anywhere. The main reason for going with it was the lower fuel and running cost's compared to other 4wd's in that price range. My 2nd choice was a 4Runner, but finding one in good condition is a little challanging.
For under $2000 go the Patrol. Parts availability, off the shelf accessories and they're easy to work on. From what I've read the Watagans is a great spot for 4wd'ing, so if you ask a group nicely they might let you tag along and teach you a few tricks.

BTW Pajero means wanker in spanish. ;)
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Recreation Vehicles