Who Makes Centre-Pole Tents?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Who Makes Centre-Pole Tents?

Postby markannab » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi all

We've just been given an as-new 3m x 3m C.O.I. Leisure Tornado tent. This is the type that is centre pole. First time up was five minutes. We like it so much, we want to buy a second one (one for sleeping in; one for storage). But I can't seem to find it online anywhere. Can anyone help? The link below takes you to a picture of one on eBay that may be perfect - I'm just not sure with OzTrail whether I'm getting quality. For example, canvas is described as PC120. How thick is that? The one we've been given is exceptionally thick. I'd like to match that if possible. In the end, I'd prefer a different brand.

Thanks,
Mark.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-Person-centre-pole-tent_W0QQitemZ8811810014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Tents?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Re: Who Makes Centre-Pole Tents?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:21 pm

I do believe oztrail would be good quality.
This my tent.I love it s much room i put the bed at the back and i have the rest of the tent for whatever,good in bad weather i can fit a couple of chairs and small table inside.It has side poles so you can remove the centre pole for more room if you wish.

http://www.kampers.com.au/sale.php?p=Tourer_10plus
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby markannab » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:14 am

Thanks for that. Looks good. Incidentally, the one we have also has very thick & tough flyscreens. I've tracked down the manufacturers called C.O.I. Leisure. Will ring today but on the net, there seems to be an absence of tents among their goods.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby markannab » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:14 am

I found the makers of the one I have. It's made by Primus with the branding of "C.O.I Leisure". http://www.primuscoi.com.au/default.htm

Terrific quality tent. I read elsewhere on this forum someone saying they bought one of these rather than the Black Wolf Turbo and said they felt it was better quality and faster to put up. I doubted both claims until we tried it out! I emailed Primus. They want $750 for the 3m x 3m Cyclone, but I can probably find it cheaper than that. They also come with a "U" shaped pole instead of a centre pole which makes the tent more usable.

In collecting our new gear, we bought a large 15' x 12' cabin style. It was on eBay but not an "eBay" tent, if you know what I mean. It was on there simply because a camping store was closing down. Despite the normal RRP which suggested high quality, it was not too good. The sellers have agreed to refund the money which we're happy about. Then we'll go for a Primus. One Primus on either side of the gazebo (eating area) and the covered trailer backed into the third side with tailgate down horizontal with a row of draws and tea/coffee facilities in the back and a water jerry can on the side. Sounds good in theory. Hope it works. :lol:
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby Redback » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 am

Oztrail, Oztent, Black Wolf, Southern Cross (very very expensive) plus a number of others, in my opinion the Oztrail and Oztent are by far the best value for money.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby garbage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Mark, I've been using the COI Leisure Tornado for about 3 years now. Has stood up to the worst weather and hasn't let a drop of rain in. The Oztrail tourer tents aren't of comparable quality as the COI has thick PVC floors as opposed to the tarp-like material used in the Oztrail. The Oztrail also has thinner canvas material whilst the Tornado has 10-12 oz canvas. I also bought the side pole kit but find that the poles tend to slip a little in windy conditions, so primarily use a heavier duty centre pole. I haven't had much luck finding anyone that stocks this tent so I'm not sure if it's been discontinued - I did see one in Hervey Bay a couple of years ago. The red coloured tents that Primus now sell are the made in China versions and use lighter duty canvas.

The other centre pole tent manufacturer that hasn't already been mentioned is the Freedom tents. Very, very expensive!
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby markannab » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:00 pm

How plans change! We couldn't get another Primus tent - not for what a store we contacted wanted. But it worked out for our good as it made us look at other options. We've got our one Primus Tornado. And we've bought a 6m x 3m collapsible gazebo with four walls that can individual be removed or fitted. We've had it up in the back yard and it's excellent. One end (3m x 3m) is a VERY spacious kitchen complete with a 2m long 800mm high kitchen table/bench, sink, fridge/freezer and stove. That leaves the other end and a bit more for the dining table and fold up lounge chairs. In reality, the kitchen only takes up half of one end so we've got about 3m x 4.5m just for lounging, playing guitar, cards or just chatting with friends.

We tested it out: The tent takes five minutes to put up and the gazebo about seven. Then about 20 minutes setting up beds, etc. So half an hour of fairly light work between two people has the camp fully set up. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am

Another satisified customer, pleased to hear that you got it all sorted markannab.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide