Cheap Freezer for camping

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Cheap Freezer for camping

Postby Earl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi All,

My first post, I would like to thank everyone that has posted information, forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience. I’m a fishing nut and can be found on http://www.sweetwater.com.au as Bishop

Will these cheap freezers do the job? Thanks for your advice in advance

I’m getting back into camping and looking at purchasing a Mistral 80L upright or 60L chest freezer from Big W for $198 (in current catalogue), comes with a 3 year warranty and weights 32kg. I can’t justify $1000+ for something that will get used 4-5 times a year

Planning 7 to 10 day trips during cooler months at camp grounds with powered sites, I need powered sites to recharge AGM deep cycle batteries in the boat.

Plan is to pre-freeze everything at home (milk, meat, bread, 8-10x2L water bottles), pre-chill as many drinks as possible and pre cool 80L Techniice esky. Then place everything into esky until I reach my destination 2-3 hours, once camp is set up, place all meat, bread and milk into freezer. Then each night re-freeze 4x 2L water/coke bottles, in the morning place these into the esky and pre-chill some more drinks to replace yesterdays. The repeat this process each day, if I need more ice I can use empty coke bottles.

Thanks
Earl
Earl

Re: Cheap Freezer for camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi Earl & WELCOME to the forum.

Re the cheap freezer from BigW...I would say go for it & try it out at home first to see for yourself if you feel it will be suitable.

The beauty of purchasing from a chain store is the return policy if you are not happy with it.

Whilst I have never purchased a Mistral freezer I have purchased other Mistral products over time and they have always performed well. My advice is ...Go for it.

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 am

I have a Mistral Bar Fridge (120 litre) that I actually threw in the back of the car and took on my last camping trip at a powered site. Worked a treat! I'll be taking it on all futher "more than 5 day" trips in future where we plan to take a powered site. The 80 litre would be ideal, as the 120 is just a little awkward to manouvre, but as I said - worth it! Just a small tip - make sure you take a couple of flat pieces of wood or similar with you to place it on to ensure it's nice and flat and sitting on even ground.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Earl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 am

Amanda & Gypsylady,

Thanks for the feedback, will get a couple pieces of timber and recess some holes for the feet. Heading for Big W on Friday, undecided on the chest or upright freezer.

Simple maths 80 L Engel = $1,800 can purchase new $200 Mistral every 3 years (if it fails after warranty runs out) x 9 times, should be good for 27 years.

Regards
Earl
Earl

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:00 pm

I personally would go for the chest type simply because of energy efficiency and I believe you can stock them up more. You'll probably get just as much in the chest type 60 as you will the upright 80.

You also don't have to worry about it being up off the ground so that you can open/close the door.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide