DIY Tailgate Kitchen

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

DIY Tailgate Kitchen

Postby markcrook » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:28 pm

I am looking for tips of how to install a shelf on the swing out tailgate of a camping trailer to put my 2-burner stove on and have a food prep area. I guess it would mean drilling through the tailgate and bolting it on. What have you done? Can you DIY it?

The trailer I am looking at has gas bottle storage, can you then run a gas line to the stove.

What do you recommend for the shelf wood or metal?

I was also thinking of putting a leg or something on it to hold the tailgate in position.

Yesterday when walking around a camping shop I saw something similar to the picture below (but didn’t have the 2 side bits) for $80– Which I thought I could cannibalise, remove three legs and the shelf and fit it to the tailgate with brackets and use the last leg to hold it in position, do you think it would work?

I was then thinking of securing the 2-burner stove to the shelf.

I have looked at camp kitchens on ebay (for camper trailers) and they are charging $790 plus delivery!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Re: DIY Tailgate Kitchen

Postby Smileandhug » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Step by Step how I do it

Go to KMart and buy a 2 burner oven stove made by Jackeroo. I got mine with a 4.5KG gas bottle for $195 on special but ask them about one. Stove works a treat and comes with two separate burners on top.

Then mig weld a box frame in place to hold this stove in place. Make the frame out of light box steel , making sure you have enough room at the rear of the stove for the hose to come out without bending to sharply. Then run ya gas line out of the left side of the box frame, as you look at it and link it with mesh gas line to the gas line for the stove. The gas bottle for gas is stored on the external of the camper on a shelf to the rear of the mudguard.

When I did mine I had enough room to put in the stove and then put three shelves to the right hand side of the stove. Just made the shelves outa light box steel and the shelves themselves made of mesh out of a refrigerator. Top shelf holds my CD/Radio with a speaker on the end of the shelf and the arieal sits behind the oven. So when I get out camping I just attach the arieal up and away from the stove. Works well. I run it off a 12V car battery.

Then to finish the top off I went to a garage sale, brought a old staimless sink and cut it to fit the top. So ya have somewhere to put that hot saucepan or what ever.

Hope this helps fellow camper.
I AM LIKE A HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH WATER IN IT - I AM WELL
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Postby markcrook » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:40 am

I've already have a companion two burner stove so will use that...
...as for MIG welding, and box section - I think I am likely to set fire to the camper trailer, house etc! :-bang

No, just looking for something so that I can drill 4 holes in the tailgate and bolt it on and then maybe bolt or somehow fix the stove to it.

I can handle simple tasks!
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Smileandhug » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 am

I will find a picture and post it to give you a idea mate.
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Postby Smileandhug » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:29 am

Aint got a photo of mine. This is a mates. Changed it from this but this is how he roughly did it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Drifta?

Sorry but if you dont have the skills to fabricate something then buying something is the only way. half assing something like a tailgate kitchen can make camp life a misery.

Drifta make camp kitchens all the time - including for many of the camper manufacturers.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby true salt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 pm

I was actually think about buying some kind of large tool kit/box from supercheap auto to bolt on the inside of the tailgate, and then add a leg for support.
One of the 'projects' fro the future.....
I Told You So, Johnny Warren

Victory in South Africa 2010!!
true salt
Boy Scout

Postby dea » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:08 am

we have opted for a manmade kitchen but not on tailgate .. my dad made us this one & its so much bigger so hold more & makes our camping trips so much better...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby dea » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:10 am

oops didnt relise it was so big .. ill resize that ...
dea
Camping Oracle

Return to Camper Trailers