Greetings from YCF

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Greetings from YCF

Postby Young Camping Family » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi all, :hello:

I'm so glad I found this place, although I had a bit of trouble registering, so I've been reading a lot but unable to post.

Currently there is myself, my husband, our 3yo daughter and soon to be another. DH and I are mid-20's but we are somewhat 'old style' and are inclined to prefer peace and quiet.
We are in the process of accumulating gear with the intention of camping over Easter with a group of like-minded friends.
I used to go camping (rough it in the bush, dig a hole type camping) every year with my parents and a group of friends, so I have fond memories of camping from about 10 years old. Not to mention the fact that I caravanned around most of Oz with my parents when I was 12 - which took about 3 months. My better half has been camping maybe twice in his whole life, and I'm not sure of the extent of the camping experiences - I have a sneaking suspition that he may mean school 'camps' :lol: .
With the economy the way it is, I figure that after the initial setup costs, family holidays won't have to cost an arm and a leg so we will be more likely to get away more often - even just for weekends.

If you have any advice for setting up, please share it! We are on a budget so any money saver tips will be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to chatting to you in the future.

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Re: Greetings from YCF

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Welcome Rachel to you and your family,you need to put an area in your profile so we know what part you are from,no use a Gold coaster giving advice if you are in VIC or some other place.I think we are all watching our pennies and are always on the lookout for specials and we often post on herewhen we come across one to let every one else know.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi Rachael and WELCOME to the forum.

PJ hit the nail on the head when she mentioned a location too. Lots of members here willing to share their tips and tricks on successful camping trips.

My recommendation would be to make your first couple of camps at campgrounds with amenities.....keeps the cost down by limiting what you need to purchase and breaks the hubby in gently.

Please don't hesitate to ask any question as nothing camping related is too trivial.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Young Camping Family » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks, the location might help!

Problem is our first trip will be at Easter (less than 3 weeks now), and it will be in a National Park up Echuca way, so no amenities - which isn't really a problem as it's just for 4 days (well, but the time we get there and pack up the day we leave it will be 2 full days + 2 x 1/2 days). Nothing a face washer and a shovel can't fix :lol: . Fortunately we will be with a group of friends (10+ others) so chances are if we forget something we can beg, borrow or steal from them (well, maybe not steal ;) ) although I don't want to be sponging off them all the time.
Other trips I'd like to do in the future (bearing in mind we will have a newborn shortly) include the Grampians and Wilson's Prom. and I'm sure we will discover more places over time.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Bradd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Hello and welcome fellow Victorians

Hope you have a great time up Echuca way.

The Grampians are looking great after recovering from the 2006 fires
Was there in Oct 08 and Jan 09 with wife 15 yo son, 2 and 13 yo Daughters
Smith Mill & Plantation campgrounds are closed till further notice for "renovation?"

Depending on what the recent fires left standing at Wilsons Prom, I hope to get down
there for a weekend at least in the not too distant future.

Easter for us is still looking like South West Vic somewhere.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Echuca ! boy does that bring back memories,camped there a few years ago and we were given a bucket of water each and that was your ration...not a drop more.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Bill snd Morag » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Best advice we can give is to make a list of everything you take.
Check off everything you use.
Then you know the stuff you didnt check probably wont be needed on your next trip.
Also write down all the stuff you forgot or had to borrow from your friends.
After a feew trips you will have a nice list tha you can consult for all your future camping trips...
Bill and Morag
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:09 am

Bill & Morag's advice is very good, make a list. I used to have a hard cover book that was my camping 'bible'...it used to go on every camp with me.

I would sit and look around the camp every time and see what I could change and improve upon & it would all go into the book. Now it would not always mean that I had to include more...sometimes it meant that I could leave something at home....or swap one thing for another which might be more servicable.

When getting ready for a camp I would always refer to it so as to know what to pack.....Great advice B&M

BTW....I still have the book...some 20+ years later though I must admit I don't have any need to refer to it these days.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: