Equipment - Recommendations

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Equipment - Recommendations

Postby Young Camping Family » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:40 pm

As we are starting out we basically need everything. Some we have bought so far (tent, mattresses, sleeping bags, 2 burner gas stove, basic camp chairs) and the rest we are yet to acquire. Of these things I need a bit of help from some seasoned campers as to what you recommend.
Most of our camping will be at unpowered remote sites so we need to be self-sufficient.

1. Camp Kitchen.
We don't need a full getup, but somewhere to sit the 2 burner stove (already have) and wash up bowls. I'm guessing one with aluminium/steel top would be best so it can withstand some heat from the cooker. I've seen the OzTrail one (the smallest they have) but I'm unsure of where to get it, and if anyone has it, is it any good?

2. Table.
We have purchased a Coleman Lakeside6 tent, which has a front vestibule (?) and we would like the table to fit there for eating around, playing games/cards and prepping food (so not too large). Anyone recommend a good sturdy, fold up table - with or without matching chairs but I'm not a fan of the picnic ones where the chairs are attached (IYGWIM).

3. Lantern.
I would like a LED/CFL rechargeable 12V/240V so that we are not forever replacing batteries, however I don't want one that needs to be run straight off the 12V (in-car) and it will probably only be used if sitting at the table after dinner - but I imagine if the weather is ok we will opt to sit around the campfire... oh, and to get into bed. Any recommendations for a brand/model???

4. Gas Bottle.
We have the 2 burner LPG gas stove, but we have no real idea what size gas bottle to go with it. We don't BBQ very often and I don't think we have ever had to refill the 9KG bottle we have, so I have no idea about usage rates. If we are going for up to 5 days, using the gas stove for kettle and re-heating/cooking at dinner times, what size would we need? I'm thinking 3KG but I'm not sure.

We are trying to balance the budget with quality so that we don't end up paying a fortune, but we also don't want to buy something only for it to be cr@p and need replacing...

Oh, and lastly what have I forgotten?!?

TIA,
Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Re: Equipment - Recommendations

Postby JRF1973 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Rachel

Some input for what it's worth.

1. Table. If I had my time again I'd go with 2 smaller tables rather than one big one. My big one is heavy and 2 smaller tables have more uses. Obviously they can be pushed together to get everyone sitting together.

2. I have a hand held LED light that can be charged and therefore needs no attachments. I ran it off a 7 amp hour battery (the little one - about 6 inches long) and the light ran for 9 days before I got sick of the experiment and turned it off. Was $59 at BCF but there is a cheaper version (less Led's) that was $29 on the weekend.

3. Gas bottle. If you are only using it for a stove, a 4.5kg bottle is plenty. If you are going to run a fridge - you'll need the 9kg.

4. Recommend a long handle shovel. Easier to dig holes for toileting. Comes in handy for getting out of a bog, picking up the hotplate off the fire etc. You mentioned a fire - if you can have a fire - forget the stove and gas bottle - get a hotplate with legs and a camp oven. Cooking on the fire is what camping is all about !!

Hope that's something to think about.

Justin
JRF1973

Postby Jo&Kev » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi Rachel

Maybe this will be helpful...

1. We have a nice OzTrail 2 burner with a grill underneath it. We have a wire stand thing for it. It folds flat for storage and when unfolded the stove sits on the top and there is a shelf on the bottom. I expect that they would be cheap from a camping store or the like.

2. We use a blow mould table with folding legs. It fits into our Landcruiser - but is about 4' long. Gives us somewhere to eat, play games and just sit our bits and pieces.

3. We have a rechargeable LED lantern. It charges from 240V and 12V. Not sure how long it lasts between charges. Again it is an OzTrail I think. We also have a couple of Maglight torches, a gas lantern, and the UFO style LED lights for inside of the tent.

4. We take both 4.5kg and 9kg. Fridge and light runs on 9kg and the stove of 4.5kg. We fill each once or twice a year, but use both on the BBQ.

It is worthwhile spending a few extra dollars for some reasonable quality gear, rather than going for the cheapest available.

By the same token if you are not going to be doing isolated area camping, or in really harsh conditions, there isn't much point spending a fortune on the premium stuff either.

Enjoy

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 am

2. Table.

This is always a balance between something useful and something you can pack in your car! We have two of the little folding aluminium tables but they have their good points (light, compact) and their downsides (flimsy, can't get you chair right in underneath due to the bracing). We eat at one and use the other to hold stuff.

3. Lantern.

I have a LED rechargable but I much prefer the soft light a fluro emits. I find the LEDs, while bright, are harsh. The Coleman rechargable fluro seems good.

4. Gas Bottle.

Yep, 3kg would be heaps for your intended use. We carry a 2.5 and use it often and it lasts a long time.

We are trying to balance the budget with quality so that we don't end up paying a fortune, but we also don't want to buy something only for it to be cr@p and need replacing...

good philosophy!

Other things... wire frame toaster (decent thread somewhere in here about them), some glow sticks, citronella smelly anti-bug/mossie things (even if they don't work you can smell them and think they might be working!!), buy a set of wash-up bowls that match (fit inside themselves) Easier to pack and handy to have one for washing hands (add a couple of drops of detol in the water), one can be used as a disk drying rack. We use some 'rectangle' ones that are wuite sturdy and have handles at each end which make them easy to carry full)

The list can be long, best to try to take as little as possible though.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi Rachel,

Tables: We have a big 6' blow moulded one for long trips with powered sites but also have a table from BCF that is aluminium/laminex top with two zip up cupboards underneath that we use for our washing up and the zip up cupboards are good to store the washing up bowl on one side and some food on the other out of reach at night from the critters (mostly possums) We also have a blow moulded plastic picnic table with two bench seats that store (clip in) under the table when packed up and when unpacked they are three separate pieces, very good for eating on, playing cards etc.

Stove: We have a two burner and have a metal stand like Jo&Kev mentioned earlier, we got ours at BCF for $20.

Lights: Coleman rechargable and we also have the little round touch lights that take AA batteries inside the tent door for the kids to see when they go to bed and they also each have their own torches for night toilet walks. You could also do the lantern thing with a gas bottle but we prefer the rechargables with the kids running around. Glow sticks are fantastic things especially the little ones they use to make braclets with as we put them around the tent pegs so the kids dont trip on them at night, also great for dog collars so we can find the black labrador when its dark. :***

We take a 9kg gas bottle with us only because that's the size that we carry on our campertrailer all the time. We only use it for the stove as our Prado has a dual battery and we run the fridge from the car.

We also take a large esky (90L i think) cant think of the brand but it keeps the block ice frozen for a week so is good for all the drinks :cheers
We also take a ensuite tent for our loo (hole with Jimmy's Thunder Box), first aid kit with added extras like stingose & anti hystamine for any bites, also we have found that our latest purchase of a pantry has been great to store all the food in and because it has a hard top it is really handy as an extra place to put stuff up out of the way. My parents also bought my hubby and I new camping chairs for Xmas that have a little fold out table on the side so we usually eat in our chairs and they are easy to get in and out of as they are metal framed directors chairs. Yes the list is endless but it's what works for and suits you in the end but the getting there (this forum & shopping) is great fun. :armsup
Hope this helps a bit.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby crocodile » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:54 pm

"Oh, and lastly what have I forgotten?!?"

Hi Rachel, you forgot the tarp. One that fits right over the tent and gives a bit of living area outside for the stove and chairs. I find it takes less time to set the tarp up than it takes to clean the bird crap off the tent later.

Croc
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:52 am

crocodile wrote:
Hi Rachel, you forgot the tarp. One that fits right over the tent and gives a bit of living area outside for the stove and chairs. I find it takes less time to set the tarp up than it takes to clean the bird crap off the tent later.

Croc

OMG....how true is that???

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Young Camping Family » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:00 am

Ooh, a tarp! I was thinking of getting some shade cloth to put down under the tent (mostly at the doorway to get off the dust before coming in) but read somewhere that it can't be bigger than the tent or water will pool between it and the tent? Wouldn't it just soak through?
With a tarp over the top, it will need it's own poles and ropes/pegs won't it? Is there a post on here that explains how to correctly errect a tarp as a shelter?
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby markcrook » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Young Camping Family wrote: Is there a post on here that explains how to correctly errect a tarp as a shelter?

Have a look here, might be helpful - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3604&hilit=tarp

I dont understand the need for a Tarp, we go for months withou seeing rain in the summer - and coming from the UK, I love it! :armsup

Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Bradd » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:44 pm

markcrook wrote:
I dont understand the need for a Tarp, we go for months withou seeing rain in the summer - and coming from the UK, I love it! :armsup

Mark

Tarp for shade as the sun can turn tent / camper into an oven in the warmer months

Also C0ckatoos and other assorted flying pooping wildlife can
make quite a mess of the top of your camper trailer as I found out last trip.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby markcrook » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Bradd wrote:
Also C0ckatoos and other assorted flying pooping wildlife can
make quite a mess of the top of your camper trailer as I found out last trip.

I can see you point - we had this at one site when we woke up and the top of our red car was mainly white! :#
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:49 pm

Now you understand the need for a tarp Mark..... Has many more uses than just a rain shelter.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Young Camping Family » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Just thought I would update with our new purchases...

1. Camp Kitchen.
Just paid a visit to BCF and picked up a Kookaburra camp kitchen which has a double stand in the middle, and one medium, one small table/shelf out to each side. It's aluminium, and it was $95 so I thought that was pretty reasonable. It was identical to the BCF branded deluxe camp kitchen except the BCF one had a wind break and a small canvas cupboard under the medium shelf - and was $35 dearer but I didn't think it would be worth it considering we will keep our stuff in plastic tubs which can stack underneath anyway.

2. Table.
Called in at Big W and picked up a ET slat table (100x70x70) which is in their latest catalogue for $65 which wasn't saving a lot but was cheaper than equivalent tables in camping shops.

3. Lantern.
I think we'll go Coleman for this one - is the one remaining thing to buy.

4. Gas Bottle.
Just bought a 2KG gas bottle which should be ample for our needs, and if we find it's not, then we can always buy another. It just looks so cute and packable. It was either that, or a 4KG and I thought that looked too big.

I will assess how the above items perform on our first trip in 2 weeks time ::() :lol:

Thanks to all that replied.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby steve&Kate » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi There,

You will not be sorry buying the table, we have one that is moulded plastic that the legs fold into it then it folds in half, it's a good table but heavy at the same time, I also have three of this type of table but mine are square, they are light and don't take up much room under one of the beds in our caravan, a great buy.

2. Table.
Called in at Big W and picked up a ET slat table (100x70x70) which is in their latest catalogue for $65 which wasn't saving a lot but was cheaper than equivalent tables in camping shops.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide