Old Hallstrom refridgerator on Gas

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Old Hallstrom refridgerator on Gas

Postby ronkrem » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi Folks

We have bought an old Franklin van in quite good nick and have been getting it ready for the road. My question concerns the old model HJ2 L.P.E. Hallstroms electric/gas refridgerator it came with. It works fine on electricity (freezes ice blocks!) but when switched to gas seems much less effective. The problem is I expected to find somewhere to light a gas pilot light but nothing is obvious, even lying on the caravan floor and squinting underneath with a torch. I am hoping the attached few photos may jog someone's memory on what must be done to start the 'fridge on gas.

Cheers
Ronkrem

(Hmmm, I'd better get in there with a vacuum cleaner)

http://www.jennaron.com.au/Hallstrom.html
ronkrem

Re: Old Hallstrom refridgerator on Gas

Postby Redback » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 am

ronkrem wrote:Hi Folks

We have bought an old Franklin van in quite good nick and have been getting it ready for the road. My question concerns the old model HJ2 L.P.E. Hallstroms electric/gas refridgerator it came with. It works fine on electricity (freezes ice blocks!) but when switched to gas seems much less effective. The problem is I expected to find somewhere to light a gas pilot light but nothing is obvious, even lying on the caravan floor and squinting underneath with a torch. I am hoping the attached few photos may jog someone's memory on what must be done to start the 'fridge on gas.

Cheers
Ronkrem

We have an old Electolux 3 way from an old Cub Drifta early to mid 70s but it has fairly obvious controls.

Looking at the photos i'd say this is the control to light the pilot, that brass knob on the right of that junction box, in conjunction with the red control knob, i'd say that the control for cold to colder.

I'll see if there are any manuals for these, we found one for ours.

Baz.

Ring these guys they have serviced our old 3 way and know their stuff

http://www.alternategasfridges.com.au/services.html
Last edited by Redback on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby ronkrem » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks Baz. I looked at this and, like you, thought pushing that button on the right was something to do with lighting a pilot. However it wouldn't move. Even so, I still could not see anything that looked like a pilot to which I could hold a match. I have cleaned up the cobwebs and will dismantle that gadget to see what is inside. A manual would be very handy indeed.
Cheers, Ron
ronkrem

Postby Redback » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:46 am

I've put a link to a mob who fix these old fridges, we were going to buy a new one but they told us to stick with the old one as they work much better than the newer 3 ways.
Alternate Gas Fridges ring them.
http://www.alternategasfridges.com.au/services.html

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby steve40 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 am

Hi guys I have the same 3 way fridge and I also cannot workout how to light the gas,have any of you worked it out and have you found a manaul yet,I have been searching but have found one yet.
Cheers steve.
steve40

Postby oldtrack123 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:40 pm

ronkrem wrote:Hi Folks

Cheers
Ronkrem

Hi
I don't know about the Hallsrom ,some of the early ones had a wick lighter which you soaked with metho & slid up under the burner ,on a small guide. THis heated & opened the safety gas flame failure vavle & lit the burner.
First suggest a good clean out ,including the back of the fridge if you can gain access, [ may have to remove ventilation grills on van] high potential for fire with gas & even with 240v& I am sure back will be just as bad as underneath.
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby steve40 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:12 pm

hi guys got my fridge working on gas the pipe that runs to the back off the fridge is for the pilot light i took a small cover of the back and you can see where the pilot light is,i held the button in and lit the pilot light at the back then while still holding the button in turned the red dial on which lit the burner and away it went,just have not worked how to light it from the front yet i am not game just wave a match around and hope it lights
Cheers steve
steve40

Postby oldtrack123 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:43 pm

steve40 wrote:just have not worked how to light it from the front yet i am not game just wave a match around and hope it lights
Cheers steve

Hi Steve
I think it may be the old system I mentioned ,does the pilot flame box have an opening underneath or towards the front of fridge which you could reach with a wick on a long wire handle with a bit of kero or metho for fuel . this was the system for early electrolux gas fridges [ before the days of spark ignition]]
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby steve40 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 am

Hi i cannot see any opening but i did notice that the pipe going from the small box with the push button to back seems to have holes all the way along one side as if when you light it the flame travels all the way along to the pilot,does not seem very safe to me.I am thinking it would not be to hard to set up a pitzo to light it.
steve40

Postby ronkrem » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Well thanks Guys. The holes in the pipe along with the small button were the clues. WD40 eventually unfroze the button and pressing it produced a hissing sound and a gas smell. The pipe that goes from this small brass box towards the back of the fridge and then turns up behind was covered with dust and goop. Reaching in with a brush I managed to clean this up and sure enough, there was a row of holes about 10mm apart all along. So with heart in the mouth I pushed the button and applied a match. Very quickly, flame leapt from hole to hole until each hole up and behind (where I couldn't see) had flames about 20mm long.

A smell of dust burning so I released the button and with a mirror, checked if anything was burning down the back. All was well so I tried again and held the button down until I heard the click of the pilot valve (maybe 10 seconds). Now I could here a faint hiss which I assume was the sound of the fridge working. After about two hours it was icy cold and working satisfactorily.

So now I know: 1. Press the button. 2. Hold a flame to the holes just behind the valve and watch the flames run back down the pipe. 3. Hold the button down until you the click. 4. Put the cover back on.

Cheers
ronkrem

Postby steve40 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:16 pm

yes i got mine working the same way i also cut a hole in the side of the fridge at the back where the burner is so i can see when the burner is lit,and to light the pilot from there as i am still not game to light it from the the front and i works great
Cheers steve :+
steve40

Return to Gear Guide