Using a generator on a LCD TV

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Using a generator on a LCD TV

Postby lorichevy8 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi I was wondering has anyone used a sinwave inverter generator on a tv, we are looking at buying a genny and was wondering will it harm the TV (24" LCD) we are looking @ a 2 Kva genny ::)
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Re: Using a generator on a LCD TV

Postby oldtrack123 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi
A PURE sine wave genny should be ok.
Just make sure that is what you get ,not msw which is realy modified square wave.
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Yes it must be a pure sine wave as in a Honda or similar. A Lot of the cheaper gennies state they are a pure sine wave but they are not.

Another thing to remember too is that once you add an inverter (separate) you increase the current draw considerably. 2kva will be sufficient to run the TV.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:04 pm

Just check - a lot of LCD TVs actually use DC power anyway...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby oldtrack123 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 pm

Komodo wrote:Just check - a lot of LCD TVs actually use DC power anyway...

Hi
Yes most do work on dc either from a240v plug convertor or internally. However I would srongly recommend you DO NOT use it connected to your battery system [even if its name plate says 12v]
your battery voltage can go as high as 14.2+ volts when charging, the lcd most likely has not been designed for that,UNLESS it was supplied with a factory 12v adaptor.
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby crocodile » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:29 am

Hi, What do you mean by the term "inverter generator". If you mean an engine driven generator then it will most likely be a sinusoidal output anyway. On the other hand if you mean a battery powered inverter it could be either. I would expect a modern LCD telly to run on msw equipment. The fun starts when you later want to run a fridge or a fan.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Postby oldtrack123 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 pm

crocodile wrote:Hi, What do you mean by the term "inverter generator". If you mean an engine driven generator then it will most likely be a sinusoidal output anyway. rn LCD telly to run on msw equipment. The fun starts when you later want to run a fridge or a fan.

Hi
Honda among others put out an inverter generator ,It is designed to have more stable frequency than standard engine driven generators whose output frequency varies with speed [ Honda not affected by speed & is pure sine wave}
Standard genny output voltage & frequency can vary dramatically with sudden load changes as the engine governor tries to cope with the load. No reason why modern lcds should be any differrant to many other electronic devices which can be very unhappy with MSW.
You won't know how your combination will work till you try it , by then the damage may be done.!!
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby lorichevy8 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:38 am

Well I just thought I would let you all know how we got on. Dave headed up to the camp site yesterday to set up before we get there. (I think he just wants to negate the divorce) took him all day but when I called him last night he was sitting up there in the bush watching an old John Wayne movie Rio Bravo. So it guess it is working well.

Thanks for all the advice. :+

Lori
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 am

Lori, my concern was never if it could be done but rather what damage would be done to the TV if the right equipment was not used.

It seems that either you are using the right equipment or you are very lucky OR we all have a lesson to learn in regard to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Have a great easter holiday & safe trip & I look forward to hearing all about it on your return.

Cheers....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide