An esky question

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

An esky question

Postby Young Camping Family » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:19 pm

After reading some of the threads on here I was pretty confident about using our esky for our upcoming (first) 3 day camping trip, but DH has put some doubts in my mind.
We have a 25(?)L hard willow esky which isn't overly big, but can stand large bottles up in.
My thought was to pack 2x 3L milk containers with frozen water, then the frozen snags and steak plus a container of frozen leftovers to be reheated one night.
If all of the contents are frozen, am I being delusional to think that by the time day 3 rolls around the esky will at least be still be cold enough for the steak to still be ok?

Buying a fridge is just not an option at the moment ($$). If the answer is no, then I will have to convert DH to canned tuna! :lol:

Edited: :oops: spelling mistake...
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Re: An esky question

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 pm

No, you are not delusional YCF, the steak under those circumstances will be fine...especially if you limit the number of times the esky is opened. I would make sure the meat is in a sealed container so as not to be sitting in the bottom of the esky in any melted water.

For many years that is all we ever had for camping & we all survived. Fridges are certainly great to have but definitely not a necessity. The 3 litre frozen water bottles are a great idea & you could even find that at the end of 3 days you still have icy if not frozen water in them.

If you are the slightest bit concerned do a trial run a home bfore Easter. Just put 2 frozen bottles in the Easky and check them every day to see how they fare.

Cheers....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:06 pm

I only have an esky and it is just a K mart one so nothing fancy.I also freeze drink bottles and freeze my meals or meat,it lasts 3 days easy.I have the bottles in the deep freeze for a good week just seems better.If you are a drinker i would do a separate esky for drinks as it is being opened all the time,also store your esky where it is the coolest,i even throw a couple of those silver sun blockers you use on your car windscreen and wrap mine up.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Young Camping Family » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Yay! I didn't even think about doing a trial run :roll: I was more concerned about setting up the gear before we leave!
Will definitely try it at home first with the ice bottles in, but good to know that it should be ok!
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:34 pm

What PJ mentioned re keeping it cool too is a good idea. I actually put mine in the shade and when it is really hot put a wet hessian bag or wet canvas or wet towel over it to keep it cooler.

That is only in the really hot months though, Easter shoud not be quite so hot....hopefully. Do keep it in the shade though YCF.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mr_grumble » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 am

Agree with everything said, this is what we do to keep out 100L icebox cool.
1). Fill up icecream containers and freeze them. Keep them frozen for at least 2 weeks before use. Most iceboxes are reacangular and the square shape of these ice blocks utilise space better.
2). Damp hessian bag over the icebox.
3). Keep in the shade, preferrably in a gentle breeze, helps the natural cooling of the damp hessian bag.
4). Drain out water from the bottom of the icebox, seems to defrost the ice quicker if you leave the water in.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:42 pm

While 3 days should be fine at this time of year, you don't need to go to the expense of a Fridge to keep things cold.
Ice Boxes require no power and are claimed to keep ice frozen for anything up to a couple of weeks.
Personally I have a Techni Ice brand which is about the cheapest around $159 for an 80 litre.
In my experience it would be pushing it to get 2 weeks out of it but a week is no prob if you start off with enough ice (bigger the ice blocks the better) and don't bother with bagged ice unless its just a weekender.
If you only open it in the morning to get out a block of ice and food to put in the esky and like mentioned above the usual keep it in the shade etc it will easily last a week.

http://www.techniice.com/
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Gear Guide