To fridge or not to fridge, that is the question.........

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

To fridge or not to fridge, that is the question.........

Postby Demeter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 pm

I know this is probably a common question (please forgive me for asking it!) but I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying a 3-way fridge for our road trip. We'll be leaving late July, heading up the centre, over to Cairns and then down the coast back to Melbourne. I'm allowing 1-3ish months to do this, depending on how much fun we are having!

Money is tight for us so spending a chunk on a fridge needs to be money well spent. Is it worth it? We're vegan so we don't travel with meat, eggs or cow milk. It would be mainly for fruit & veg and occasionally soymilk, that kinda thing. And is second hand a good choice (I think I could get a better quality one for cheaper second hand)? And lastly, what brand?!

Cheers!!!!
Demeter
Camping King

Re: To fridge or not to fridge, that is the question.........

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Not a necessity at that time of year.

Take an esky and top up with ice as you need it. Buy ice from the supermarket when available as that is where it will be the cheapest.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snake_dr » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:37 pm

if your trip will keep you in range of ice you should be able to get away with an esky, especially if money is tight.

but.... our fridge is the best money we've spent on our camping gear (other than the camper trailer), the ease of access to cold items without the worry of fiddling with an esky is worth the money spent

:-)

sounds like an awesome trip though, would love to do something like that
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby steve&Kate » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi veganbec,

If you are looking at travelling around with the fridge (not sitting in the one spot for awhile) you should be looking at a 2 way fridge, these do not use as many amps as the 3 ways, (2 ways uses roughly 1 -1.75amps per hour a 3 way will use roughly 6amps, 3 ways also run better on gas and using on 12 volt will just keep itself going, if you leave it in your car without the car running will drain your battery in no time, you also can not fire them up indoors on gas.

We have a 3 way and it is brilliant, we use it when camping in the one spot, have also heard that 3 way fridges up north are not much chop, apparently they turn into big, expensive eskies because they can not handle the humidity.

Just a few things to thing about.

Cheers
Kate

veganbec wrote:I know this is probably a common question (please forgive me for asking it!) but I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying a 3-way fridge for our road trip. We'll be leaving late July, heading up the centre, over to Cairns and then down the coast back to Melbourne. I'm allowing 1-3ish months to do this, depending on how much fun we are having!

Money is tight for us so spending a chunk on a fridge needs to be money well spent. Is it worth it? We're vegan so we don't travel with meat, eggs or cow milk. It would be mainly for fruit & veg and occasionally soymilk, that kinda thing. And is second hand a good choice (I think I could get a better quality one for cheaper second hand)? And lastly, what brand?!

Cheers!!!!
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Given that you are not carrying meat or dairy then an esky should do the trick. You will spend a bit on ice but you buy a lot of ice for the cost of a fridge, which will require an extra gas bottle to carry or a dual battery set up to make sure you have enough power.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Demeter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:17 pm

Thanks for all your replies :mrgreen:

Is it easy to buy ice on the road? Even in the desert?! I had assumed it wouldn't be easy to get and therefore a fridge would be better. Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong :lol:
Demeter
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 am

Another thought Bec...if you are planning on staying in caravan parks at all you can fill a 3 litre bottle or more with water and freeze it in the camp kitchen. This can then be placed into your esky & will save you buying ice on those occasions.

If there is no camp kitchen available then I am sure the manager would be happy enough to freeze it for you.....especially in the small town CPs. I have found them to always be very obliging.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:16 am

I used an esky for my drinks fridge on our trek, ended up spending about $70 in ice over a 3mth period. Can buy ice at most roadhouses. Using your own juice bottles as big ice blocks works well as they don't wet everything as they melt.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Demeter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:41 pm

Freezing water in bottles is what I always do for camping but I've only ever camped for short periods. I hadn't even considered re-freezing as we go, thanks gypsy!

HGMonaro wrote:Using your own juice bottles as big ice blocks works well as they don't wet everything as they melt.

This is exactly why I like the bottle idea!! And you can drink it when it has melted :mrgreen:
Demeter
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:29 am

Being that your a vegan and that keeping dairy and meat products at safe temperatures isnt an issue I'd suggest that an esky would be fine. Actually any cool(ish), dry & dark place should be fine. We dont really travel with fruit and veg in the fridge very often as we find that it makes a lot of produce perish faster because of the moisture in the air in a fridge.

On the flip side ice in some (extreme) remote areas is not only expensive - but also harder to come by. This may ultimately make your decision. But going by the description of your trip I doubt that's going to be much of an issue.

IMHO - save the coin be prepared to buy ice at inflated prices and enjoy the trip.

I have a fridge / freezer and I love it. BUT they can be a hassle. They take up a great deal of room (roughly 20% more room compared to a similarly sized esky - though you dont loose capacity to ice...). They require a second battery (some people get away without this expense - though usually these people have smaller fridges and smaller vehicles to start the next day). They require maintenance - mines been serviced once and had the latches replaced twice and I just busted another latch on my trip to tassie earlier this month.
If it wasn't for the fact that I like to go to more remote places and take frozen products including ice cream I wouldnt bother with a fridge. Infact when going for short trips I often just take a 32L eski.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Demeter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Cheers Komodo!
Demeter
Camping King

Postby Demeter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 pm

I've found a second hand 39L Chescold 3-way fridge. Is this a decent size and brand?
Demeter
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Not bad...and not huge.... but remember that you will have to carry a gas bottle with it & it must be dead level at all times to work properly.

How old is it and how much are they asking for it??

The other thing is the legality of carrying gas bottles inside your car.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:56 pm

A gas bottle upto (and including) 9kg size may be carried inside a passenger vehicle in ALL australian states and territories.

That said 3 ways are a lot of work.
Like gyps said - dead level. good ventaliation and on 12V they will flatten your battery in no time. Ive even herad people say on 240V they can do circuit breakers (i dont know if i believe this though)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Demeter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:40 pm

Either way, ice or fridge, is a hassle isn't it!! I really don't know which way to go :?

Good to know about the gas bottles, I've travelled with mine loads of times. Mines a 9kg one though so that's a relief :mrgreen:
Demeter
Camping King

Next

Return to Gear Guide