Techni Ice Eskys

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Techni Ice Eskys

Postby benno » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi all
Firstly, what a great forum, such a wide devirsity of topics.
I was just wondering if anyone has an esky from techni ice. I have used their ice before and found it pretty good if you follow their directions properly. Just wondering what their eskys are like. They have some great easter specials happening at the moment!
Cheers Ben.
benno
Boy Scout

Re: Techni Ice Eskys

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:26 pm

They have specials all the time Ben....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:40 pm

Great Eski. They work best with block ice rather than party ice and remember to drain off the water regularly

I have the 80 litre model

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby cherish3 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 pm

How about the ice packs that they sell. Do they work as advertised? Are they better than ice blocks? and where do you get ice blocks?

Thanks
Eric
cherish3
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:14 pm

I personally don't like the ice packs...they get very slimy as they thaw out, I never use mine at all. I am sure there are plenty who will swear by them though.

Whilst I believe the ice box is very good, I feel that you'd be better making your own hard ice or using frozen water bottles.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bradd » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 pm

Derek wrote:Great Eski. They work best with block ice rather than party ice and remember to drain off the water regularly

I have the 80 litre model

What he said
+ the bigger the block the better
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Yes indeed, Techniice always have specials. What decided us to buy one (a 40L is all we can handle) was that all the rotomolded ice boxes we could find were made in Thailand. The Techniice looked as identical as we could tell from a photo to the ones at double/treble the price in the camping shops. We figured: "why pay extra for the same product?". We've yet to try ours out in the field but reckon that if we get it cold, all the food goes in cold and we keep it out of the sun, then it should keep as cold as any other ice box and at half the price.

The tricky thing is to be able to re-freeze the ice blocks-bottles-whatever to keep it cold after the first couple of days. Now here is the rub. If you can re-freeze in a camp kitchen, then fine. We took the advice of someone on this forum, and bought a small freezer to do the freezing for us. This is expensive - portable refrigeration is well and truly over-priced - but at least we can do as much freezing as we need. Taking drinking water in the bottles we freeze and using it as it thaws then re-filling and re-freezing. We were going to use thermo-electric fridges but decided they were not worth the space and weight they take up. So we bought an 18L Waeco to freeze our water bottles which it does in 4 hours. It's not a popular size and we got a good deal on a demonstrator from Anaconda but for all that it was still $1000+ and strained the budget considerably.

If it's not feasible to take a freezer (and a portable ice-maker won't make ice in any heat you're going to get in the summer) then starting with everything cold/frozen and only going away for a few days might work for you. Buying that party ice stuff is a real waste of money. It melts so fast your food is afloat all the time. If you can get block ice that's OK for a bit longer. But the amount of space taken up by the ice is quite large - around 30 to 50 percent of the volume of the ice box, making taking a lot of food a bit difficult. Not all ice boxes can take the extreme cold of dry ice and there's very few dry ice outlets anyway although it is darned good stuff, especially if its wrapped up and you don't get your fingers stuck to it!

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Ricklanga » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 pm

I have a 100ltr & 120ltr and recon they're the ants pants and at a fraction of the price of other brands and come with a 12 year guarantee.

As far as the ice packs are concerned, I find that they aren't much use for anything other than a day trip. Stick with the block ice as previously stated. If you would like some though, they do include them free with your ice box purchace.

They also sell these on Ebay and as long as you are aware of the price inc. delivery direct from Techni Ice compared to price inc. delivery from Ebay, and you are patient, you can pick up a real bargain. I picked my 120ltr up for $175 & 1he 100ltr for $103 inc. delivery.

This free eBay Auction Sniper Service sight might help http://www.gixen.com/

--

Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Return to Gear Guide