Qld - Carnarvon Gorge National Park

Qld - Carnarvon Gorge National Park

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:15 pm

Carnarvon Gorge - beautiful place - great walks - limited camping so if visiting in holidays or during winter you will need to book in advance. The National Park Camping area only open in school holidays. The only other camping option is Takarak Resort. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:18 pm

Our visit to Carnarvon Gorge was the September School Holidays in 2006. By road its about 800km from Brisbane. The last 20km into the park is dirt and hence large sharp stones which can do some damages to ‘soft’ tyres. There is also a WW2 plane crash memorial worth stoping at on the way in.

We stayed at Takarakka Bush Resort, which is a relatively new camping ground not far from the entrance to the National Park. There is a QNPWS campground but as Mr Bravo said its only open at School Holidays. There is also the Carnarvon Wildness Lodge if you enjoy your luxuries.

Takarakka has plenty of shaded powered and unpowered sites, cabins, large communal kitchen and fire ring, toilets and showers (good number of), laundry and a kiosk at reception. The only negative was the dust but well you are in semi-arid Australia.

The website for Takarakka http://www.takarakka.com.au/

See Photos Below

Carnarvon Gorge is one of three section that makes up Carnarvon National Park. The other being Mt Moffat and Salvator Rosa which will be a future visit.

Prior to getting to the main park entrance there are a couple of small walks, Baloon Cave, Mickey Gorge and the Rock Pool.

From the park office there is the main track heading west, you can visit Boolimba Bluff, Art Gallery, Amphitheatre (Closed at the time I was there and has since reopened), Ward’s Canyon, Moss Garden, and further west Cathedral Cave and Battleship Spur.

You could do the Art Gallery – Ward’s Canyon – Moss Garden – Amphitheatre in one day over a distance of approx 12 to 15km (depending how much exploring you do.)

Boolimba Bluff is quite a strenuous hike as you need to climb up 200m but you get a great view from the top.

If you stay at Takarakka the QNPWS rangers give a slide show a couple nights a week which gives a good overview of the park.

Communal Kitchen

Fire Ring with Amenities in background

Typical Camp Site

One of the cabins

Happy Jack or Apostle Bird (They are called apostles because they get around in groups of approx 12)

A memorial to a WWII plane crash.

Baloon Cave

Mickey Creek Gorge

Art Gallery

Ward’s Canyon

Moss Garden

Boolimba Bluff

Other Shots
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:06 am

Troyk ~ ~ ~ those pics are excellent, I loved Canarvon Gorge and the walks to see the moss garden, art gallery ect..

If your not into walking, some might be dissapointed as you need to "walk" to explore all the beautiful nooks and crannies of the gorge.

You have to book in advance to stay at the campground but I highly recommend it

(if going in winter.. take your sub zero sleeping bags!!)... its gets damm cold!!!!
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:44 pm

Top Photos ,i know lots of people talk about the Gorge i was actually going to bypass it on my planned trip because of the dogs but i see in my new dog book there is a place you can have them looked after while you do a day trip,would hate not to see it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Top Photos ,i know lots of people talk about the Gorge i was actually going to bypass it on my planned trip because of the dogs but i see in my new dog book there is a place you can have them looked after while you do a day trip,would hate not to see it.

You have to see it Poodle Jewel but you will need more than a day as it is all walking to see the different miracles of nature. It would have to be on the "top of my list" as a favourite.
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:53 am

You need a minimum three days I reckon.

=Day 1 the smaller walks such as Mickey Gorge and Ballon Cave
=Day 2 Boolimba Bluff (not long but can zap the erengy)
=Day 3 Ampitheatre, Wards Canyon, Moss Gardens and Art Gallery. You will be walking about 15/16km for this one)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:57 am

mystical_aussiegal wrote:If your not into walking, some might be dissapointed as you need to "walk" to explore all the beautiful nooks and crannies of the gorge.

While its alot of walking, its pretty flat going, so if you pace yourself, its not thst bad.

mystical_aussiegal wrote:You have to book in advance to stay at the campground but I highly recommend it

Highly recommend Takarakka. While its more expensive than the QNPWS one, it is very well set up.

Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Happy Jack or Apostle Bird (They are called apostles because they get around in groups of approx 12)

Friends of mine call these birds Arkie squarkies....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Qld - Carnarvon Gorge National Park

Postby ben... » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:37 am

digging this thread up - Thinking about planning a trip to the gorge, going to be taking our CT - any tips or trick anyone willing to share about the trip or stop offs along the way.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:22 pm

ben,

Stay at Takkarakka, though it has been taken over by a big chain company since i was there. Sites are well seperated and has all the facilities you need. THE QPNWS campground is only open during school holidays. Allow about 4 days to do all the walks. I was going to do a trip report at some stage.

Along the way there is the Miles Historical Village (Derek was just there recently), in roma there is Oil and Gas Museum, and some of the bottle trees are worth stopping at. They were planted to commerate the lost soliders in WW1

Jack Thomas park in Dalby is stopping place, especially if you have kids, as there is a good playground and heaps of shade.

Troyk

Postby CQCapricorn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

Carnarvon Great Walk - Soon to be completed (July 09) this walk will take walkers\campers on a 90km walk through one of Queenslands most rugged and beautiful National Parks. Travelling through the Gorge up over Battleship Spur past Gadd's camp and up onto the Mt Moffat Section of Carnarvon National Park which is one of Queenslands highest plateau's at 1100m, walkers can finish their trip there or continue on looping around the back of the gorge along the Consuelo plateau and back into Carnarvon Gorge. Much of the walk is class 5 and will require you to take all of your supplies and have a fair understanding of how to navigate in the Australian bushland, however for those of you willing to give it a try the rewards would be sensational. Go to the EPA website and look under 'Great Walks' for more information on the soon to be completed Carnarvon Great Walk.
CQCapricorn
Boy Scout

Postby CQCapricorn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am

Poodle Jewel: Not sure where your dog book suggests dog minding is available near the Gorge. Pleae be aware that Warremba Farm Stay, which did provide dog minding has now closed.

An alternative is Arcadia Valley Escape, which is about 1 hours drive from Carnarvon Gorge situated in the very beautiful Arcadia Valley (100k east of the Gorge). This is a farm stay property which allows dogs, and provides a small yard around their cottages in which dogs can be fenced.

Unfortunately there is nowhere else in the Carnarvon Region, which provides dog minding. See the website link for further information

http://www.aracdiavalleyescape.com.au

I hope you enjoy your holiday
CQCapricorn
Boy Scout

Postby TBF » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:07 am

Ben
If you intend breaking the journey out or back..
Suggest stopping at Roma.
Nice caravan park on the NW edge of town next to the winery.
Big Rig oil site also in town.
Injune to the north of Roma is also a good morning tea stop if you leave from Roma in the morning.
At the information centre on the right after passing through town.

Carnarvon Gorge...defienately on my Top Ten list in Qld.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:42 pm

Is Tarakka Bush Camping Resort no longer pet friendly??

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CQCapricorn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:29 am

gypsylady wrote:Is Tarakka Bush Camping Resort no longer pet friendly??

To the best of my knowledge Takarakka has never been pet friendly. If they were it was a long time ago.

Unfortunately as you may already know the QPWS have very strict rules regarding domestic pets.....NO PETS, and even though Takarakka are not situated in the Carnarvon National Park, they are located right next door, and the National Park actually backs onto the property.

As someone previously menitoned on this thread, Carnarvon Gorge has been bypassed by many visitors simply because there is no where that will accept dogs. Warremba Farm Stay which was located about 30 minute drive away from the gorge back on the highway did allow dogs, however in late 2007 they closed down.

So your only choice now is to stay at Arcadia Valley Escape which allow dogs\pets, and is situated about 1 hours drive away from Carnavon Gorge.
CQCapricorn
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Queensland