Bushland Park - Bunya Mountain Rd

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Bushland Park - Bunya Mountain Rd

Postby Suzyc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Has anyone camped at Bushland Park - Bunya Mountain Rd, lately?
I'd love to see some photos if possible.
Suzyc

Re: Bushland Park - Bunya Mountain Rd

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:06 pm

I camped there a couple years ago. The campground is set on the side of the mountain on semi terraced sites.

There is a rustic communal shed, conversation type fire pit, hot showers & flush toilets. Campfires are allowed weather permitting and firewood is supplied.

It is also pet friendly & not too expensive.

I do have some pics but will have to hunt them down.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Suzyc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Gypsylady

I think I found your previous forum when I did a search on here. Definately want to know what it's like now as the drought may have changed things.
I would still appreciate seeing your photos from when you last visited though!

Cheers
Suzy.
Suzyc

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi Suzy, yes there is a previous post on the forum that is correct. I am not sure the drought would have much impact on this particular campground as it was never a lush green grassy campground.

As I said it is on the side of the mountain and most of the sites are a combination of dirt/gravel & some grassy bits. It is bush camping in the true sense of the term.

In fact it was here that I learned to reverse my CT & very quickly I must admit. I found myself in a situation where there was no other way but backwards, down hill and on loose gravel.

Thank goodness for my previous 4WD experience & the knowledge of how to use low range.

Hopefully Suzy someone else will have been to Bushland Park in more recent times & can give you a more up to date report.

Cheers Gypsy.....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Suzyc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Oh, it doesn't sound all that appealing - since when is "bush camping" camping on gravel/dirt and only 'some' grass? I guess it can be the case but we just never pick those kind of sites personally.

Our favourite camping areas are the Rummery Creek campground in the Minyan State Park (Nthrn NSW) and the Booloumba camping area 3 in the Kenilworth State Forest. That gives you an idea of what we're looking for. We have never been to Bunya Mtns and thought we should the weekend after Easter (when it is a bit quieter we hope).

We try not to travel more then 3 - 4 hrs from Brisbane and like to stay in private, quiet camp grounds. Hot showers are a bonus for a cold area camp but not fussed as only going for 2 or 3 nights.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Suzy.
Suzyc

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Bush camping often means not much in the way of grass.....

However try Island Reach at Imbil...do a search there are plenty of pics on here.

Another is Spring Gully Stays at Canungra and Bigriggin at Rathdowney. Again there are posts on here so do a search & see what you come up with.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CQCapricorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:51 am

I have just spent the June long weekend there and found the location to be fantastic. There was 9 of us camping and we had the place to ourselves, whereas the campsites up at the National Park (Dandobah, Wescott etc) were completely full.

According to the owner of the proerpty once she has 10 people on-site she shuts the gates and puts up a 'no vacancy' sign... I don't know how true that is.....but it does mean that you won't be sharing the campsite with a whole bunch of other people.

The location of the park I though was the biggest feature, situated in a beautiful little valley at the base of the Bunya mountains. If you get a chance take a walk down the hill at the back of the park towards 'Gertrude's Grave' which is a lonley gravesite dedicated to Cedar getters wife who died over a 100 years ago. The valley in which the gravesite is located is very pretty, and you are more than welcome to walk around and do some exploring.

The only concern were the toilets and showers, which were not all that clean (and did not get cleaned the 3 nights we were there) and if you had to share the park with a bunch of strangers, then the lack of cleanliness may start to bother you. With only us being at the park, it didn't bother us. ( A tip would be to take you own cleaning supplies with you).

I do have photo's but I don't know how to upload them onto this site. In all honesty the photo's won't really show you much, it really is best that you take the journey out to the park and experience it for yourself.

I have visited a lot of National Parks and campsite throughout Australia, and Bushland Park certainly rates up there as one of the more enjoyable (even it it was a little un-clean). Futhermore, Bunya Mountains National Park has some of the best bushwalks that I have been on for sometime, making the trip out there completely worthwhile.
CQCapricorn
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:01 am

I was chatting with a lady in Birdsville who runs a B&B up in the Bunya Mts and she seemed to think Bushland Park may have changed hands.

I am pleased to see some positive comment about the place and must add that when I was there the toilets showers etc were pretty basic but definitely cleaned regularly.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby megs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:02 am

this sounds like a good campsite. Are there fireplaces for our campfire? Also is wood provided? We like to take our 2 young children, are the bushwalks suitable for them do you think? We are looking for a new winter camp :P
megs
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 am

There is a communal fire megs, not sure about individual campfires & yes firewood was provided when I was last there.

Give them a ring and ask the question, Ph: 4663 4717

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CQCapricorn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:34 pm

megs wrote:this sounds like a good campsite. Are there fireplaces for our campfire? Also is wood provided? We like to take our 2 young children, are the bushwalks suitable for them do you think? We are looking for a new winter camp :P

Yes each campsite has a fire pit, and the firewood was free. There are many bushwalks around the Bunya Mountains which are suitable for every age.

Bushland Park does have a couple of simple walks, but the best thing is that the property which Bushland Park is located on is rather large, and you are free to wonder around.
CQCapricorn
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations