A bunch of newbie questions!

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: A bunch of newbie questions!

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 am

Most camping shops & online stores. I'm still looking for that map book at the moment to get you the title (ahh the joys of renovations...)

Im fairly confident this is the one though
http://www.themapshop.com.au/site/index ... D80E706C8B

There's a lot of great maps available here. Whilst I've never purchased from this site I have heard good reports from others who have.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Demeter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am

gypsylady wrote:I'd be looking at the free maps from RACV before I purchased any other Bec.

I have a few RACV maps already but they are old (oldest being printed 6 years ago). Should I still update them?
Demeter
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:58 am

veganbec wrote:
I have a few RACV maps already but they are old (oldest being printed 6 years ago). Should I still update them?

Definitely update them Bec and if you find they provide you with the level of detail that you need then all is good and you have saved some money.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Demeter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:09 pm

It's the level of detail that we need that I'm unsure about!

I think we'll be sticking to mostly main roads (hard to tell as I've never been there before). I like the idea of km between towns and the fuel stops listed but is that necessary if we are sticking to main roads?

I'll check out the freebies and see how I go :)
Demeter
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:01 am

veganbec wrote:It's the level of detail that we need that I'm unsure about!

I think we'll be sticking to mostly main roads (hard to tell as I've never been there before). I like the idea of km between towns and the fuel stops listed but is that necessary if we are sticking to main roads?

You definitely need that basic info Bec in order to plan for fuel stops etc but I personally do not believe you need any more than that.

It is also a necessity IMO to have some idea/plan/knowledge of where you are heading albeit basic especially travelling with you 6 year daughter.

All my outback trips have been planned and executed using only the freebie maps from RACQ & I recently updated in readiness for my upcoming trip.

You can always stop at the free Tourist Info Centres along the way and get more info & maps specific to the area.

Another source of info is often the office/laundry/camp kitchen at any of the CPs where you stay. They usually have local tourist info as well.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 am

veganbec wrote:I have a few questions if anyone has the time to answer (or the inclination :lol: )

It just myself and my 6yo daughter going on this trip if that's necessary information :)

1. How much water should we travel with? I recon 2 of those 10 litre water bottles you get from the supermarket plus a foldable water bottle so you can get free water were you stay

2. Should I invest in a second spare tyre to take with us? As long as all your tyres are in good condition you should be ok, unless your planing on lots of dirt. A can of spray leak repair would be handy or a plug style repair kit if its nails or screw holes

3. What tools should I be taking? Enough basic tools to do a repair your comfortable with. Couple of flat bladed screw drivers, phillips head driver, 2 shifters large and small, hammer, 2 pliers large and small, Some electrical tape and wire, gaff tape and some fencing wire.

4. Should I carry extra fuel? Probably not just try not to go under half a tank unless you know where your next fuel stop is. Bottle of metho is handy incase you get some dirty fuel.

5. Should I take a full set of hoses for the cooling system? Or other spare parts like fan belts etc.? Yes to hoses and belts maybe even a coupke of spark plugs.

6. I have a RACV membership but I'm not sure if that also covers other states? Ring them and ask.

7. Should I replace my current car battery for a heavier duty one (even if I'm not running a fridge off it)? Depends on your current battery if 2 years old then yes I would replace it, your not going to be putting to many extra demands on your battery just dont rely on it for radio or lighting, replace your interior light with an LED one just incase maybe buy one of those jump start packs

8. I have one of those blue plastic tarps (cheapo), will that do to throw over the car in the night (to help keep the cold away) or do I need a canvas one? Forget the elcheapo buy a dura tarp or ulyta rig and if you have the room a couple of old blankets to throw over the car to protect it and ad extra insulation

Cheers!!

Couple of extras.

The plug style repair kits are easy to use and will fix most leaks, a blow out is your worst case scenario. Make sure your tyres are not retreads and the pressure is keep right and blow outs shouldnt happen.

You can have every tool and spare part man ever invented but if dont know how to use them you might as well have a packet of chewing gum. Learn how to change a radiator hose or fanbelt or spare tyre before the trip.

Your model Commodores are pretty reliable and should handle your trip pretty easily just make sure the coolant and oil are in good nik before the trip.

Good luck with it.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Bec

A good set of maps are really useful when you are planning the trip, or just to work out the rest of the day's travel. We found that ours were more accurate than the phone based navigator, in giving us distance to the next town. In once case we drove past a sign saying that it was about 80km to a town, but the navigator was telling us more than 500km and about 9 hours of driving.

It was also a lot of fun to actually 'see' where you are planning to go, where you have been and so on. Once you know how far a tank of fuel gets you, the maps are invaluable as they will tell you which towns you need to stop in for fuel. Hema (and the other brands) of maps are available from most good bookshops. They have some cool things on them like outback fuel and rest stops and distances between neighboring towns and distances between major places. If you have a second-hand bookshop you might get lucky with a book of them, but I wouldn't count on that.

If the RACV freebies have that sort of detail go with them, if they don't $20 or $30 should see you right.

Gypsy is right when she says use the local knowledge that you can freely obtain from either the local tourist information center or other folks at the campground. There will always be someone at a campground who has been where you are wanting to go, and will usually be more than pleased to help out with advice and tips.

For us meeting the locals and fellow travelers is one of the best parts of doing what you are planning on doing.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Demeter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:38 am

gypsylady wrote:It is also a necessity IMO to have some idea/plan/knowledge of where you are heading albeit basic especially travelling with you 6 year daughter.
[/color]

That's why I need the maps gypsylady :lol:
Demeter
Camping King

Postby Demeter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:42 am

Pauly wrote:Your model Commodores are pretty reliable and should handle your trip pretty easily just make sure the coolant and oil are in good nik before the trip.

Thanks Pauly!

I've decided to get an RACV check done on the car before we go just to make sure all is safe and well. It's $200 but I consider it a good investment. I also plan on getting it tuned and serviced just before we leave.
Demeter
Camping King

Postby Demeter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:45 am

Jo&Kev wrote:Gypsy is right when she says use the local knowledge that you can freely obtain from either the local tourist information center or other folks at the campground. There will always be someone at a campground who has been where you are wanting to go, and will usually be more than pleased to help out with advice and tips.

For us meeting the locals and fellow travelers is one of the best parts of doing what you are planning on doing.

Cheers
Kev

Thanks Kev :grin:

I'm really looking forward to meeting other travellers on the road!!

Planning the journey before we go is also important as we are home learners and I want to bring as many 'educational' tools/books/information about the areas we are visiting before we go.
Demeter
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:28 pm

veganbec wrote:
Planning the journey before we go is also important as we are home learners and I want to bring as many 'educational' tools/books/information about the areas we are visiting before we go.

The internet is the best place for that Bec & you still have a couple of months before your departure......so start surfing!!.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Demeter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:24 pm

:armsup thanks gypsy!
Demeter
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:19 pm

The way prices are at the moment might be a good time to invest in a GPS for the car. I find mine invaluable when travelling.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Previous

Return to Gear Guide