To fridge or not to fridge, that is the question.........

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: To fridge or not to fridge, that is the question.........

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 am

It is my understanding that in Qld you are only permitted to carry them inside the vehicle if taking to get them filled. Will try & hunt down the info on that for you.

IMO Bec, sourcing ice would be way simpler...you have to get fuel so getting ice at the same time would not be too difficult. And as has been mentioned before there is always the freezing of water bottles in the camp kitchens or CPs.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 am

Yeah I suggest forgetting the fridge.

Esky = way better idea in your situation.

BTW 9kg bottle is a big bottle to lug around I carry a 2.5kg bottle (sometimes two) and I hardly ever need refills I think I've had between the two bottles 4 refills in total over the past 4 years. I do about 30 nights camping a year on average i use gas for cooking and light.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Demeter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 am

gypsylady wrote:
IMO Bec, sourcing ice would be way simpler...you have to get fuel so getting ice at the same time would not be too difficult.

Dur, I'm such a dope, I had forgotten we'll be continually stopping for fuel :lol: thanks gypsy!
Demeter
Camping King

Postby Demeter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:17 am

Komodo wrote:BTW 9kg bottle is a big bottle to lug around I carry a 2.5kg bottle (sometimes two) and I hardly ever need refills I think I've had between the two bottles 4 refills in total over the past 4 years. I do about 30 nights camping a year on average i use gas for cooking and light.

It is big! Maybe I'll invest in a smaller bottle. We'd only be using it for cooking at night and my morning coffee anyway. Thanks Komodo :mrgreen:
Demeter
Camping King

Postby chisel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Ice is a hassle. It melts - things get wet. You are constantly worried about your ice. Ice takes up a lot of space in an esky, too.

3-way fridge is no good if touring around much. Fine if you are stopping for a week in each spot.

2-way fridges are great ... but they are expensive.
Fridge $800-1000, dual-battery system to give you 3 days power when stopped $700, slide $250 (although slide could be argued is necessary for all fridges and maybe eskies). Dual-battery is handy for other power reqts at camp as well though.

If you're just doing the one trip like this - go with an esky and put up with the ice hassle. If you think you'll do similar trips in future, considering the 2-way fridge.
chisel
Boy Scout

Postby Demeter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:36 am

chisel wrote:If you're just doing the one trip like this - go with an esky and put up with the ice hassle. If you think you'll do similar trips in future, considering the 2-way fridge.

That's exactly what I've decided, thanks Chisel!!
Demeter
Camping King

Previous

Return to Gear Guide