Washing a sleeping bag

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Washing a sleeping bag

Postby slug » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:11 am

The following is from a reply i got from Roman. Ive had the bag out and been shaking it the last few days, ill give it a go on the weekend and see if that has had any improvement then wash it next week. Ill let you know how I go and if I get back to it former glory!

Front load washer at a laundry mat is best
Then into the dryer
Make sure you remove from dryer as soon as cycle is complete as the barrel of the dryer may still be hot and can damage outer fabric
Any problem please contact me
slug
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:26 am

slug wrote:The following is from a reply i got from Roman. Ive had the bag out and been shaking it the last few days, ill give it a go on the weekend and see if that has had any improvement then wash it next week. Ill let you know how I go and if I get back to it former glory!

Front load washer at a laundry mat is best
Then into the dryer
Make sure you remove from dryer as soon as cycle is complete as the barrel of the dryer may still be hot and can damage outer fabric
Any problem please contact me

Well slug, I am not sure I am comfortable with those instructions....however as you no doubt have it in writing from Roman...go for it & good luck.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Little Kopit » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am

It comes from the supplier. Remember I've had my bags for 10 years or thereabouts. & I"ve been using the laundromat dryers.

Gypsylady, materials change and products are 'improved' all the time. The modern artificial insulation bags are more apt to be machine washable.

I remember a time when we thought sleeping bags had to be dry cleaned!!

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:30 am

Little Kopit wrote:
Gypsylady, materials change and products are 'improved' all the time. The modern artificial insulation bags are more apt to be machine washable.

It is not the machine washing that concerns me....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve&Kate » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi,

We have 2 expensive sleeping bags and the washing instructions on the tags state to hand wash, do not machine wash, tumble dry or dry clean.

Let me tell you it sure is fun washing them, I get one of those large tubs put it under the cloths line, fill with water and wool wash (no need to rinse with wool wash) put the bags in hose my feet and pretend I making wine (hose down the concrete) pull bags out leave on concrete until most of the water has run out then hang up to dry.

Have to say our bags are about 3 years old, they get used a fair bit and they still look new, I have also folded some cotten sheets in half (not long ways) and sewn across the bottom and about 1' up the side and use these as sheets in the bags, keeps the bags pretty clean.

Cheers

slug wrote:Gday all, another query,

I recently spent a fairly chilly night in my sleeping bag. It has never let me down before, however ive often had a few drinks or have slept in trackies or the like. The other night I just couldn’t stay warm. On thinking about it I the warmth of the day im worried because it has spent a bit of time in its bag it has lost its loft. I know you should hang them up or at least store in a pillow case so they don’t bunch up but it usually gets used every few months so thought its be ok.

So my question, is washing it going to bring it back to its former glory? I don’t really want to because I know washing a sleeping bag is a bit of a pain.

Any thoughts?
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:56 pm

OMG....you have made my day.....I LOVE it Kate....what a fantastic visual I have at this very minute of you in the back yard washing the sleeping bags....hehehehehehehhe

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby slug » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:59 pm

Well i have done it. I went down to the laundromat tonight and washed the sleeping bag on a delicate cycle. Also put it in the dryer on a cool cycle. The $1 got me 9 minutes so gave that a go. It was still a little damp so figured id give it another 9 minutes. I now having it flat on the floor just to make sure its dry, it all looks ok on first examination so i think its all gone ok. I looked at my wife's however, a different but also well known brand, and its label says to only hand wash.

Just thought youd all like an update. End result, all seems ok.
slug
Captain Camping

Postby Little Kopit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:51 pm

Hang it over living room chairs so that air can reach all sides.

& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm

Good news slug, very glad to hear that you have a positive outcome.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Gear Guide