Newbie question about 4wd car

Let’s hear about all those weekend toys for the boys (and girls) boats, skis, camper trailers, motor homes, 4wheel drives OK even airplanes (again add the make and model to the title we will organise as it gets unmanageable).

Newbie question about 4wd car

Postby Freelance » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:00 am

Hi mates

I've posted this in chot chat, but think it is better here - Sorry.

I am a Danish guy, who are wisiting your fantastic country from october 09 and 2-4 month from that. My girlfriend and I are planning to fly to Darwin and drive to Perth including the Gibb River Road. At first we talked about renting a 4wd camper, but that would cost a lot :-(

Now we consider to buy a Landcruiser a 60- or 80-series hoping to find a nice one for about 5.000 AUD, and make a rebuild so we can sleep i the car. Now I have a lot of questions.

1: Is the idea good ?
2: What is the best car for the trip?
3: What do you need of registrations and insuranses when you buy the car, and what does it all cost?
4: Are some cityes better (cheaper) to buy cars in than other, are there better places to sell the car again?
5: How long time do you think the rebuild would take. My thought are a simpel treeskeletan (i think it is called), with matresses on top an storage room under. We also need freshwater stove ect...
6: How much would the rebuild cost?
7: How backup gear like spare tires, tubes ect. do we need?

Any advise would be appriciated, so we can make the best planning and descition.
Thanks in advance
Rasmus (from Denmark)
Freelance
Camping King

Re: Newbie question about 4wd car

Postby cokebottle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:17 pm

not being an expert in the matter myself, but I think it would cost you more to buy & convert a vehicle, have you looked at Wicked Campers?

If you don't mind driving around in an older model vehicle with a wild paint job then they might be an option, the 4wd is from $69 per day....

http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/van-information/mitsubishi-delica

http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/

They have a depot in Darwin http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/depots/darwin

PS: unless you have experience with driving in the outback, then I would not advise going off the beaten track, stick to main highways, when going into remote area's you should let the police know where you are going & when you are expected to arrive etc, even experienced people can get lost etc, you should contact the local tourist outlets for advice on what areas you can attempt....

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Beagle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Additionally I would suggest if going off the highway an EPIRB should be carried. Rea in January where a couple of tourists got into trouble arounf Alice with the floods and only survived because they had a beacon.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby markcrook » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:32 pm

I had a look at the wicked site, followed cokebottles link, and they also sell the campers - if that would suit you better. They were about $5000-$6000.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Freelance » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi
Thanks for your answers. There´s a little more to think about :)

Are the wicked 4wd (the Mitsubishi delica) any good off the roads?

We are not experienced outbackdrivers (due to the fact that we don´t have anything like that in DK), but want to lern. The only rearly off the roads we will be are the Gibb River Road on our trip fra Darwin to Perth - Are The gibb no go for unexperienced outbackdrivers? We are thinking about taking a course in 4wd driving before taking off.

If we are going to buy a vehicle we might consider to have tent airmatresses ect. to put up insteead of building a camper, but what are the normal costs of having a car i Australia? I have had my own car for 5 years and have had drivers licence for 14 years if that have anything to say.

From Perth was the plan to go to Sydney by train, but if we have our own car it might be smarter to drive ourselves (specially if it is better to sell your car in the Sydney area.

Any advises would be appriciated
Thanks
Rasmus
Freelance
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 pm

http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/gibb-river-road.html

Have a read through that champ. I don't think you'll even need to engage 4wd on the Gibb if you stay on the road.

But corrugations and rough roads can really take their toll on any car especially an older one, so I'd make sure the suspension is in top nick before you set off (maybe even a new set if you can afford it) and take a shock or two spare. And get under it and check for wear marks regularily. If you see any shiny steel, it means something loose. Everything should be dirty.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Freelance » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:05 am

Great link. Thanks

Have already read some of it, but I'm sure there will be more hours of great reading from that site....

Not much about cars and what to do, but much to read up on.

About the car matter I think we just have to make a decision and go with that.
Thanks
Rasmus
Freelance
Camping King

Postby Freelance » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:43 pm

HI
Can anyone tell me the measures in a Landcruiser HJ60 with the rear seat put down. Is it long enought lo have a matress? And how wide are the car in the back? Heigt in´side the back would also bee great to know...
Thanks in advance
Rasmus
Freelance
Camping King

Postby Jo&Kev » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 am

Hi Rasmus

I have an FJ60 (it is the petrol version of the HJ60) and you can fit a double bed inflatable mattress in the cargo area with the rear seat folded and locked down.

Height is about 3 feet.

I know fellow campers with one that sleep in the back if it rains.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Freelance » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Great - Thanks.

Does somebody know if that is possible in a Nissan Patrol late 1980 model or Landrover Discovery from early 1990?

Which of those two and a Landcruiser hj60 are easiest to repair, get parts to ect?
Thanks
Rasmus
Freelance
Camping King

Return to Recreation Vehicles