Coleman Gas Hot Water

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Coleman Gas Hot Water

Postby defender » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:18 am

We bought a coleman gas hot water system last week and used it for the first time over easter and found some pros and cons for it:
1. It was quick to heat water up - good
2. Good shower and wash up water - good
3. Not hot enough for a cup of tea, so still had to boil the billy - bad
4. Pumped a huge amount of water, I haven't tested it yet but I would say it is in the region of 10 litres per minute - very bad

With our old 12v drop in the bucket we could get 4 adults comfortably showered with 20 litres but this one it is back to two at best. I bought this for the convenience but if I cant find a way to reduce the pump rate it will be going on ebay, has anybody found a way to improve on this?
defender

Re: Coleman Gas Hot Water

Postby Ricklanga » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm

I bought a 60ltr drum which I fill with water and use the coleman to heat up. Only takes about 15 minutes, thus saving gas & battery. I then use a 12v shower for everyone. Uses a lot less water and you can switch of at the shower unit which you can't do with the coleman. If you look around, you might be able to find large drums fairly cheap. Mine only cost $5.00 with sealable lid.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby patosonit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Defender,

Your HWOD should have a flow rate of 4 litres per minute. Just check that the mesh gauze on the end of the pump has not fallen out.

Would love the HWOD to make a cup of tea, but due to AGA regulations we are not allow the unit to go any hotter that 70deg so people dont burn themselved.

Regards
Ryan
patosonit
Boy Scout

Postby AliKat » Sat May 09, 2009 1:55 pm

I came on here looking for a post that talked precisely about showers & the Coleman HWOD... We too bought a system (for an excellent price I must say) And this week we are going to be using it for the first time. Being that we are going to Inskip (no onsite water) I was wondering how much water it would use for showers. I think we will just take our 20L bucket with the sealable lid that we cut a hole in the top of to drop the old 12V shower into, put some cold water in and fill the rest with hot water from the coleman system - we used to get 2 -3 showers per 20L from the 12V system and they were relaxed instead of having to rush, wet yourself down, turn the water off soap up and then rinse off. So I think if we use the HWOD plugged into the car and connected to the 9L gas bottle it should be ok. I really am trying not to take the 60L pot that we used to take with the gas burner under it because the pot takes up so much extra space.
Does anyone have any idea of how much gas we will guzzle if having multiple showers??? We are going up with a large group that will vary from 4 people some nights to 30 people on the weekend (hopefully not everyone will want a shower the nights when there are 30).
Cant wait for our trip away this week... Havent been camping since December :)
AliKat
Boy Scout

Postby Ricklanga » Sun May 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi AliKat,

If you are going to be using the HWOD for as many as you say I'd definitely take the 60ltr.

As for the gas usage, I've been using the same 4.5kg cylinder for cooking and showers for the last 5 or so camping trips and still have plenty of gas, so you wont have any problems with a 9kg.

AliKat wrote:So I think if we use the HWOD plugged into the car and connected to the 9L gas bottle it should be ok.

You should understand thet you can't run the Coleman directly from the car or any other external power source. You can only use external power for charging the unit.

Mine ran out of power on our last camp after only the first night. It was fully charged before we left home so not sure what happened there. It's certainly done better than that in the past.

---
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby snake_dr » Sun May 10, 2009 8:58 pm

yep be careful of that, friends of ours forgot to charge their unit one day when we were out camping and they had to borrow others showers
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby steve&Kate » Sun May 10, 2009 9:50 pm

These are on special at the moment at Kangaroo tent city for $399.99.

Has the shower, carry case & the HWOD, I think that's a pretty good price

http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page48.php
scroll half way down.

Cheers
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby DamoS » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:22 pm

I find if you set the temp to what you like then wet yourself, then leave in run in the bucket while you soap up, then rinse off I have a perfect shower every time.

I also found by changing the shower head to my old head off the 12v shower it uses less water and get a stronger flow as the head is more restricted
DamoS
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide