Q about Moreton Island and 4wding

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Q about Moreton Island and 4wding

Postby Breidi Mac » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 am

My hubby and I have little experience 4wding, we are headed to Moreton Island in October this year with some friends. We have driven on the beach at Inskip and Teewah however I am told Moreton is a whole different kettle of fish, is that true? We have a 2004 model prado.
Any advice on tracks to avoid or tips to negotiate them etc? We will be towing a Camper trailer.
Also any favourite spots? We have all our own gear so don't need facilities.

Thanks in advance
Breidi Mac
Camping King

Re: Q about Moreton Island and 4wding

Postby chisel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:48 pm

Moreton isn't really that different to Inskip and Teewah but there is certainly a heap more tracks to negotiate. You'll be fine - a lot of first timers take on Moreton in soft-roaders so the Prado will eat it up. Just remember to lower your tyre pressure! You'll probably not make it far in the soft stuff without dropping them to at least 20psi.

As far as spots go, I like fishing so the ocean (eastern) beach is my favourite. We usually camp up near Blue Lagoon which gives the option of going over to Honeymoon bay/north point for a look as well as into the lagoon itself. There are a heap of good sites from Blue Lagoon north.
chisel
Boy Scout

Re: Q about Moreton Island and 4wding

Postby Breidi Mac » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks Chisel, I thought it wouldn't be too much different, the person who told us this is a family member who just likes to ruin things for you. You know the type, you can't do anything without 20 years experience under your belt like him.

Anyways, i like the look of Blue Lagoon, we have 5 or so kids going so i think they will like it around there.

Thanks again
Breidi Mac
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations