Cheap places to stay

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Cheap places to stay

Postby Mersie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi all
I am new to the forum and look forward to hearing all your views.
My husband and I have just bought a bute second hand Caravan, our first, and are planing to head off in November to Longreach in Queensland. We live in Wellington in the central west so would be grateful for any advice you have on good places to stay or places to pull up at and camp , or any general advice of what to do and what not to do, as we are real novices at this.
I haven't even been camping in my life. But at least we will have a few creature comforts in the caravan.
Thanks in advance
Mersie :+
Mersie

Postby Kramer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Oh jeez I was out near longreach 2 years ago and I can't remember where we stayed! I know in Longreach to book ahead if you want to stay in a caravan park as they get really busy out there, we just wanted 2 tent sites and we only just got in. Also the caravan park wasn't cheap but they had all sorts of stuff there, campfire singalongs, working dog display and also had really good amenities.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Didn't realise it got that busy ... last time I was there (1984!) it wasn't too bad ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Mersie - welcome to the world of travel!!!!

Postby Nenie23 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi Mersie
Firsly, congratulations on purchasing a caravan. May you have as many great trips as we have had - plus more.
We went to Longreach last year and came back probably the way you would go up. If we were to go, we would go Dubbo. Burke, Cunamulla, Charleville. We have stayed at Charlieville. If you go there, a must to see is the "Cosmos Centre" to watch the stars. They are an observatory that open both day and night, and you see such a beautiful display of planets and stars during the night session. Another thing to see is the "Bilby Education Presentation". This is where they show you beautiful endangered Bilbies they are breeding. Then head north to Blackall, Barcaldine, then on to Longreach. Enjoy your time at Longreach seeing the Stockmans Hall of Fame and the Qantas Museum, and if you are not to tired, please drive the 173kms north west to Winton. At Winton, you will find a little place called Lark Quary, where there is the first set of dinosaur footprints fossilised in the rock. It is actually a stampede at the edge of the river and is absolutely facinating. If you have the opportunity when travelling, book in at the Caravan Parsk (a few days ahead as so many travel this way) and see the Bush Poets. They perform at the parks and normally are only a few dollars to see, but well worth while.

Hope this helps and happy travels.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations