Brisbane to Perth

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Brisbane to Perth

Postby amanda » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:31 am

I'm contemplating driving from Brisbane to Perth in March, towing a couple of surfboats over for the Australian Surf Life Saving Titles at Scarborough. Having never made the trip before I was after a bit of advice from anyone that's done it. Would 5 days be a reasonable travelling time across? Any suggestions of places to stop overnight?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Scolers » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:00 pm

5 days would mean approx 12 hrs driving per day (a lot if you're towing). Also take into accoount that it will be BLOODY HOT at that time of the year especially from Ceduna to Perth. Average temps easily make the high 40's on the Nullarbor so I hope you have an ULTRA RELIABLE car. Persoanlly I think you should double your time to give drivers and the car a rest. Whilst the Nullarbor is now bitumen it can still be a very unforgiving trip if you haven't planned properly or if your car is unreliable (Note I didnt say 'old' ... new cars conk out in the desert too).

And did I mention the heat at that time of year?

:armsup

Don't let me put you off but if you are going to tow at that time of year you will also have the air con on (usually) which put s agreat strain on your car.

Besides that it's fine ... Scarborough is my fav surfing beach in the city.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby amanda » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks for that Scolers. Car is very reliable and tows well. Doubling the time to 10 days each way will be pushing it for us, about our maximum would be seven nights (eight days actual travelling). Is it necessary to book accomodation in advance, or can you usually take is at it comes?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Scolers » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:21 pm

amanda wrote:Doubling the time to 10 days each way will be pushing it for us, about our maximum would be seven nights (eight days actual travelling). Is it necessary to book accomodation in advance, or can you usually take is at it comes?

Just to let you know I'm basing the time to travel on a max towing speed of 90k's. Somting else I realised after I posted was that besides being hot it's WINDY!!! Which could cut your speed down to 80k's. Seven nights would get you there but it would be a looooooong drive towing the surfboats at that time of year. As a rule of thumb Perth - Sydney takes four solid days driving and that's not towing but you are spending 10-12 hrs in the car.

In regard to booking in advance. Not sure ... It's not the peek season so you should be ok. Don't forget too that after Ceduna there is no township until you get to Norseman/ Kalgoorlie (2 - 3 days drive). There are truck stops along the way (Eyre, dingaling etc) and they have fuel as well as camping spots but they are basic but I'd doubt you would need to book for a March stop over.

Hope this helps.

::)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby amanda » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:08 pm

That's a big help - thanks. Now we have some basics out of the way we can probably start planning it in more detail and see if we can't try to squeeze in a couple of extra days somehow.

Appreciate the advice about the wind - the trailer is a "double decker" - one boat on top of the other, so sits up very high and is effected by wind.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Scolers » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:12 pm

amanda wrote:Appreciate the advice about the wind - the trailer is a "double decker" - one boat on top of the other, so sits up very high and is effected by wind.

That would be frightening ... a mate of mine took his family and boat acroos to Adelaide via the Nullarbor a couple of years back ... he has a photo of his rig surrounded by a dust storm ... funny to look at, a pain for those in the pic tho'!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Your trip to Perth

Postby Nenie23 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Hi Boy Scout,

As the other readers have mentioned, they are not trying to scare you off, they are trying to warn you and give you some great advice. I have been told be very careful about travelling the Eyre Highway in the east west direction as the winds are very strong. I am not sure what they are like the time of year you are going, but we did a trip in June last year up through the centre of Australia and the winds going from Port Augusta up to Coober Pedy made it feel like we were peddling the car. We have a powerful Landcruiser and were towing a small van (level to the roofline of the car), and we were flat to the floor getting to a max of 80kms per hour and using double the fuel that we had over the rest of the trip.

Another tip, do you have two tanks. We did and used both with the wind and made it to the servo at Coober Pedy with a dribble to spare. Always carry a spare tank of fuel for the "just in case". Check how far apart the servos are along that stretch. Where we were travelling, there was on average 350kms between each servo, and the prices of the servo in between towns, were about 20c per litre more than in the main town.

Please allow in your planning, to do the slowest possible time, and the highest possible fuel consumtion then if you do that and do better times and fuel consumption, it would be a bonus.

I am not trying to turn you off travelling, as it is a wonderful experience and something everyone should do more of.

Be wise, travel carefully, and most of all be safe and have a great time.
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:43 pm

Thanks Nenie23. We don't have two tanks, but will certainly be packing extra fuel. We have teamed up with another club who is also making the trip with a double trailer, and we have agreed to travel pretty much together - not on one anothers tails, but at least to the same stop off points daily etc. so if there's a problem with either one we can be looking out for each other.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

thanks amanda

Postby Nenie23 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:44 am

That sounds great. Thanks for the advise about who I am talking to Amanda.
Janine
(still a virgin at this)
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations