Single parent camping

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Single parent camping

Postby wynpd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:36 pm

My kids are 3 and 4 and I have decided to introduce them to camping. However hubbie is not so keen so I will be doing this as a "single parent" and wonder if any other single parents have camped with their kids, were there any issues? Particularly good places to go? (I am thinking with as many facilities as I can get to begin with, don't want to scare them, within 2 hours of West Melbourne). What about leaving the tent to use the facilities and leaving the kids behind - may be sleeping. Are there any groups of parents that meet at camp sites? If not, why not? Does anyone want to start one?
wynpd

Re: Single parent camping

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:45 pm

I was a single parent of 4. 4 years apart in ages. Mine were a little bit older when we started to camp but they all had a great time and i had no issues. I also teamed up with a friend who also was a single parent and we had 7 kids between us. We've done all sorts from tenting it to going on the travel trains and using backpackers accommidation. Our lot had one main rule...stick together and watch out for eachother. If you can team up with some others that would be better i think or even have a mum's and kids camping trip even if they aren't single parents.
I'm in QLD so can't help you with any places to go but i hope you and your kid have lots of fun camping. :grin:
Image7 kids on our Airlie beach trip.
Image My lot waiting for the bus on the same trip. (please excuse the quality of the pic's) My kids have kids of their own now and are starting to take them camping too.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:18 pm

wynpd wrote:My kids are 3 and 4 and I have decided to introduce them to camping. However hubbie is not so keen so I will be doing this as a "single parent" and wonder if any other single parents have camped with their kids, were there any issues? Particularly good places to go? (I am thinking with as many facilities as I can get to begin with, don't want to scare them, within 2 hours of West Melbourne). What about leaving the tent to use the facilities and leaving the kids behind - may be sleeping. Are there any groups of parents that meet at camp sites? If not, why not? Does anyone want to start one?

Hi wynpd and WELCOME to the forum. Unfortunately I too am unable to help with suggestions as to where to camp but can offer my support re taking the kids camping.

My recommendation is to involve them in the packing to go, setting up of the camp and the packing up to return home.

Yes, even the littlies can help in small ways and the more you involve them, the keener they will become.

I recommend that you get a tent and start off by setting it up in the back yard first, make a game of it for them. You can even 'camp out' in the back yard to get them used to it.

Re leaving them asleep in the tent.....No, as a general rule I personally would not do it.

Maybe if you befriended your camping neighbour you could get them to watch the children whilst you duck to the loo but that is about as far as I would go.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 am

Camp close to the ammenities,take a porter loo or if desparate use a bucket.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby wynpd » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks for the supportive replies. I have now persuaded hubby to join us (at least to start with) and found some other families who have indicated they wouldn't mind the company. I still expect to be flying solo one day and had thought about buying the extra gear to make life easier - porta loo etc. We've already done a test run - one on Christmas Day in my neighbours garden, and once in our garden with the new improved and much larger tent.

Please keep your comments coming in - and if anyone else is thinking about single parent camping and wants to hook up post a note here and maybe a group can get together.
wynpd

Postby drCarls » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi wynpd,
I too though not strictly a single mum, has a less than enthusiastic husband.... he likes the idea. But is a grump when he comes so I'm beginning to think I'll solo it soon. I've been looking at trying caravans as setting up the tent on my own is beyond me as it's a 2 man job. I'm having trouble finding somewhere that rents caravans though so I can trial run one first - see if i think it's worth buying one for us. I'm in Brisbane =- you? I'm keen to set up a group of people who would like to do short (and longer) camping stints with or without partners....

Cheers
Carla
drCarls
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 pm

This guy hires out camper trailers and caravans if you are interested Carla. http://www.camperhire.com.au/

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby wynpd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:08 pm

Have been camping twice now. Once with kids by myself - a very diverse weekend. Site pure sand - nightmare to put a tent on, and son vomited in the tent when we were all tucked up for the night. I was all for throwing everything in the car and going home. You have to have eyes in the back of your head, watching where the kids go. But the beach at 7am the next day was a good antidote to the stress.

Just come back from a Big 4 site with in-laws who were first timers. Had a ball - lots of kids, lots of friends made, safe site for the kids to wander around a bit. Probably the kids having had a previous trip meant they adjusted quickly to the sleeping arrangements. Also having more adults meant we could take it in turns to do our own thing, didn't have to be on duty all the time.

Would definitely recommend a purpose site like Big 4 or the others that are around for single parents, so much less stress. I know it might not be regarded as proper camping, but I think you have to balance stress with having a good time. I would still like to find other single or almost-single parents to go somewhere without a movie room! I am in Melbourne; if anyone hears of someone who wants to hook up for camping in Vic please encourage them to post here.
wynpd

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Camping is all about what suits you wynpd, not what others think you should do. Glad to hear that your second trip was a success & you will get better at it the more you do it.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bradd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Not sure why you seem to only be interested in Single parents, I'm sure there are plenty of couples with kids who would be happy to have some more kids for their kids to play with regardless of whether its just mum or dad or 4 generations all camped together.

We go camping usually with a 15 boy, 13 girl and 2 girl.
I have taken the older 2 by myself, we have gone with just the 2 yo
and we have also all gone with my parents, 3 kids and 3 dogs.

The 2 yo loves doing laps of the campsite and generally doesn't wander far from mum/dad.
But it's always nice to have extras keeping an eye out for her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby drCarls » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Bradd you are right... is there a discussion board/topic at this site where we could start 'groups' of people interested in camping who live in the same area? I'll go and have a look and if not - perhaps I'll start one?

Carla
drCarls
Boy Scout

Postby wynpd » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:39 pm

I have no problem with groups getting together - think it's a good idea. But it started off as a single parents' link for the same reason as other groups of like-minded individuals get together - to compare and discuss the potential difficulties of one adult taking a brood of children camping by themselves that couples or families camping may not have experienced.
wynpd

Postby drCarls » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Yeah, no I appreciate that. This link is incredibly worthwhile, and I know I'll be posting in it often over the next few years!!!
drCarls
Boy Scout

Postby wynpd » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Hey drCarls, How will you divide up the groups? I live north of Melbourne but my preferred destination is Great Ocean Road or Mornington rather than hills.

Just curious: when does the camping season start and finish? Just packing my things up for Winter made me wonder when I will be able to get it out again.
wynpd

Postby drCarls » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:58 pm

I've got no idea!! lol
I'll contact the moderators and see if they have suggestions..... I'm in Brisbane...... but I'd be happy to go camping anywhere from the north of NSW to Carnarvon Gorge and out to the coast..... though with the kids this little, I might just stick a bit closer to home.. Girraween National Park and the sunshine coast perhaps. Stay tuned!!
drCarls
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Camping with Kids