NSW - Oura Beach Reserve

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

NSW - Oura Beach Reserve

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am

Finally getting around to a brief report about out Easter jaunt to Oura Beach Reserve.

By way of background we found it on Derek's website and there are some pics that you might want to contrast with mine at http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/ourabeachreserve.htm I emailed Derek and got a prompt reply from him about taking pets. So 2 4WD loads of adults, children and dogs set off.

We know there wouldn't be a lot of surf, being a beach on the Murrumbidgee River, but we weren't expecting it to be as dry as it was.

Our campsite. Very dry and brown!

Another view.

But there was a beach.

The dogs loved it, they are having a rest in the shade of my 4WD.

And there are plans to keep updating the facilities and regenerate the bush.

Facilities? There is a composting toilet and thats about it really. No showers, or water for that matter. The river was flowing well and looked clean but it would be worthwhile taking your own water.

It was a relaxing couple of days, the kids loved it, and the dogs took days to recover from the running around and playing in the wide open spaces.

Best of all its a free to camp area, a short drive (less than 20km) into Wagga Wagga where there are all facilities. There are no marked sites and there is a couple of kilometers of river front where you can camp so it likely you will find a spot that suits.

Over the Easter weekend there was a total fire ban. We had a fair old downpour last night, and hopefully Wagga Wagga did too. With any luck it will green the campsite up, maybe lift the fire ban and more importantly help out the farmers, who we noticed were feeding stock down there - tough times.

Would we go there again? Yep!

Would we recommend it to others - certainly to those who want to try out bush camping with limited facilities, bearing in mind of you can't cope without a shower you can pack it in and stay somewhere in Wagga Wagga.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Re: NSW - Oura Beach Reserve

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Kev

Don't think I have ever seen it so dry down there. Pleased you had a good time. You didn't mention the fishing??

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:50 am

Hey Derek,

We did have a good time, and our friends who recently returned to Australia after a couple of years in the US thought it was 'interesting.' It's very different at Oura to the Pacific Northwest of the US.

We didn't try the fishing. Next time I will give it a shot, but my fishing record over the past few years is er'hm not great.

Thanks again for you advice. I'm glad we went.

Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm

I was on the same river but much further away this weekend.

Its pretty brown down here though, certainly wouldn't drink it (even tho that's where the town gets its water from :lol: ) but heaps of people swim in it during summer.

And the foliage is even browner, we had out first proper bit of rain this year yesterday, hopefully it brings a few things back to life.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Love the 60 Kev....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks GL. The poor old 60 is a bit ill - has a leaking exhaust valve. However I'm hoping to have that fixed over the next couple of weeks. Just waiting for the head gaskets and various other bits to arrive, and it will be ready for the next adventure...
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:27 am

She is definitely a good old girl.....they don't make em to last like that any more....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:21 pm

They might be farm machinery, but they are trusty farm machinery. Be a shame to replace the old beast but the day is coming...

There is a nice diesel troopy with my name on it just down the road at the Toyota dealer, and Jo is even a bit receptive of the idea!!
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations