Gas Lantern

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Gas Lantern

Postby markcrook » Fri May 01, 2009 2:17 pm

I have read through the post on lighting, seemed to talk more about LED's v flouro, but was just wondering what peoples opinions on gas lanterns are?

We have had various flouro rechargable/battery lights but are looking for a better/permanent solutuion and are considering a gas lantern on the long or telescopic pole attached to the 9kgs cylinder we use for the stove. This going to be used outside for cooking, reading playing cards/chequers, drinking wine etc!

I have looked at 240v flouro work lights and LEDs etc and after walking around campsites have decided that the gas lanterns give a softer yellower light, which appeals, and also mean that we wont be reliant on power.

How long do mantles last (i know they are relativley cheap)? Are they thirsty, do they use a lot of gas?

Any opinions welcome

Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Re: Gas Lantern

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri May 01, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi Mark

We have a gas lantern and I like it. I find the hiss fairly relaxing, and it is convenient being able to increase and decrease the amount of light produced. Like you are planning, ours is on a long pole and shares the 9kg gas bottle with the stove. Mantles are fairly cheap and we usually get about four of five trips before I have to replace one. I generally find that if the mantle gets bumped or touched it will break.

They don't seem to use much gas at all. I usually turn off the cylinder valve and let the gas run out before I go to bed. Depending on how 'high' I have the lamp turned up, it may take 20 minutes to go out. So 20 minutes or so from the amount of gas that is held in the extention pole.

One thing to remember is that they get hot, and may get knocked over by errant children or dogs.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Wouldn't go without my gas lantern.
Took around 2 weeks worth of camping for my 1.25 Kg bottle to run out of gas.
Love the hiss, can turn it up or down, bright enough to read by.
Can have it on a table or use an extension pole.
Extension pole has 2 valves so can light and cook from same bottle.

As mentioned mantles break if they are touched or bumped
I have only had to change them after travelling, so the
longer you are stationary the longer they will last.
I found the clip on mantles to be pretty crappy, the tie on ones are much better.
Cost is $4 - $5 for a packet of 3 (someting like that)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Fri May 01, 2009 7:24 pm

I have not used gas lanterns for many years....stictly 12 volt now and LEDs as much as possible.

It does seem those who do use gas lanterns love them though I must say....not for me.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri May 01, 2009 7:51 pm

I use a Coleman Duel Fuel Lantern. I do run it on shellite but it also uses unleaded petrol and it has to be the best light I have ever had. Mine is the Coleman Duel Mantle Powerhouse Model. I was only commenting the other day up at Woodgate that it still has the two original mantles in it that I put in when I bought it three years ago. They throw off a very bright white light.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ricklanga » Fri May 01, 2009 10:14 pm

I use a Coleman Northstar EI Duel Fuel Lantern. They're not cheap but are a bloody good light. Brightest Coleman liquid fuel lantern in fact. Like Derick, I'm still on the original mantle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby markcrook » Mon May 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Thats us convinced, we are going to get a telescopic pole and gas lantern (and probably some spare mantles) - what sort of birghtness would you recomend - I know they are adjustable so should I go for the brightest I can affors and just turn it down?
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby jellycamp » Mon May 04, 2009 2:30 pm

If it is just me going with the boys, I just use a 12v light and a battery latern. If the other half comes or if it a long trip, we take the gas latern. It gives off good light and is adjustable. The best thing is that it doesn't attract the bugs. Went camping once with a friend who was a electrician and he hooked up a fluro light to a battery and hung it off the tree. Worst bug attractor there is. I would definitely recomment the gas light. It is excellent for every situtation.
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby Bradd » Mon May 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Bigger is better ;)

Better to have more than enough than not enough light
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed May 06, 2009 9:58 am

I'm not sure that they have a brightness rating like a light globe that is say 60 Watt or 100 Watt. We bought the biggest one that was about $20 or $30. I would do the same again, for what that is worth.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby CCC » Fri May 08, 2009 8:59 am

We again have a coleman, Northstar™ LPG Lantern & Hard Case

Features are:
*Brightest Coleman propane lantern
*Perfectflow LPG pressure control system for consistent performance, fully adjustable light output and economic use of gas
*Metal guard helps prevent globe breakage
*Case has polyethylene housing to help protect lantern and conveniently opens into three sections for easy loading.

Also comes with a tabletop stand, or you can hang it or as we do, attach it to a 2way gas pole with the stove.

:lol: :lol: :lol: We unfortunately are on the second mantle thanks to the male not reading instructions :$ :--?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Sat May 09, 2009 10:59 pm

I just tried to buy that light ccc and it was out of stock for weeks, so ended up going with pinnacle instead, it even looks shiny hey...

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/temp ... egory=1152

I have always run a standard gas bottle connection to my stove, and have a stick splitting the connection between the stove and the cheap gas light. i think bang for buck for lighting up your whole site they are the best. i use 12v lighting for the area's i want intense light, like washing up and playing games etc

this one i want to use as a standalone for intese light at the table or whever
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby steve&Kate » Sun May 10, 2009 6:33 pm

I nearly purchased one today from Kangaroo Tnet City for $89.99.

http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page37.php
Scroll halfway down page

their store will sell for what the online selling price is as well.

Cheers

snake_dr wrote:I just tried to buy that light ccc and it was out of stock for weeks, so ended up going with pinnacle instead, it even looks shiny hey...

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/temp ... egory=1152

I have always run a standard gas bottle connection to my stove, and have a stick splitting the connection between the stove and the cheap gas light. i think bang for buck for lighting up your whole site they are the best. i use 12v lighting for the area's i want intense light, like washing up and playing games etc

this one i want to use as a standalone for intese light at the table or whever
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby snake_dr » Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 pm

doh, i wanted a few other bits so just bought the dearer pinnacle jobby anyway

if i was as good at everything as i am at blowing money, id be rich
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby Dettie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm really happy with this option... I'm with Jo&Kev... it gives out a nice light and I also find the subtle hissing very soothing. I would go for the mid to large size and use a double adaptor attached to your gas cooker so you can multi-function.

Good luck. Have fun!

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Gear Guide