Wollongong to Uluru?? Advice please

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Wollongong to Uluru?? Advice please

Postby true salt » Tue May 12, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi all, returned to the camping gig after not doing it for many years

I have just bought a camper trailer and intend doing as many weekend camping trips as possible in the near future to get the feel for it.

The plan then is that I'm looking at doing a driving holiday with the wife and young kids in early November over a few weeks. It will be in a 2wd sedan with a camper trailer.

Anyone have any tips advice etc. Probably going Wollongong via Adelaiade to Uluru and staying at Big 4 type parks most of the way.

I've seen the world, time to see the centre of OZ!!!!!

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks all

David
I Told You So, Johnny Warren

Victory in South Africa 2010!!
true salt
Boy Scout

Re: Wollongong to Uluru?? Advice please

Postby HGMonaro » Wed May 13, 2009 1:18 pm

how much time have you got? BTW early Nov may not be a real good time to go... would be getting hot (and maybe wet.. not sure when the rains kick in), a bit earlier is usually recommended.

No idea how to get from Wollongong to Adelaide (I imagine unless you actually want to go into Adelaide, you'd skirt around to the north a bit).

http://www.nlandgl.com/roundOz is our trip website, you might find some bits interesting. Yell out if you have specific questions.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby mr_grumble » Wed May 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Got to 2nd Nige, that time of year the weather will be HOT and WET.
Unless your used to the hot, dry heat of inland Australia, you, your wife and especially your young ones will suffer.
Not to mention if the un-mentionable happens, you break down, even on sealed roads, you and the family will feel the heat very quickly. Borders on dangerous actually.
I'd suggest a different time of the year, and you'll find the trip more enjoyable.
The hot dry heat has to be experienced before you fully understand just how uncomfortable it can be.

Adelaide from the Central Coast, we usually head through Dubbo - Nygan - Cobar - Wilcannia - Broken Hill - Yunta - Adelaide. 1200km to Broken Hill and approx 650 from Broken Hill to Adelaide.

But from the Gong, unless your looking for a 'prettier' drive, I'd head Marulan - Goulburn - Wagga Wagga - SPAMER - Barossa Valley - Adelaide. Km ? (Shorter :lol: )

Steve
Last edited by mr_grumble on Wed May 13, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby true salt » Wed May 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks for the input guys really appreciated!!!

We have spent many years living and working in the tropics of far nth qld and the caribbean so heat doesn't normally hit us to much.
November is the only real time I can get off work, so do think it is still worth a go?? Will obviously take extreme precautions with water levels, consumption etc, plus have an epirb i can borrow

keep the info coming, it is invaluable

David

true salt
Boy Scout

Postby mr_grumble » Wed May 13, 2009 6:27 pm

mr_grumble wrote:
But from the Gong, unless your looking for a 'prettier' drive, I'd head Marulan - Goulburn - Wagga Wagga - SPAMER - Barossa Valley - Adelaide. Km ? (Shorter :lol: )

Steve

SPAMER ?????

Should have been BAL RAN ALD !

Wonder why BAL RAN ALD is replaced with SPAMER, one for Admin to answer ???
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby true salt » Wed May 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Based on the advice given we may change dates if possible. When would people recommend to go, by the way we hate the cold (for the freezing nights) and want to avoid the mad tourist rush

cheers

david

true salt
Boy Scout

Postby Malcur » Wed May 13, 2009 10:31 pm

David,

We drove from Sydney to Uluru about 4 years ago. You can go via Dubbo, Broken Hill, Port Augusta, Coober Pedy to Uluru and its bitumen all the way. We took a diversion and drove to Bourke then did the Darling River run down to Willcannia before continuing on to Broken Hill. Give yourself plenty of time to visit Alice Springs and the East & West Macdonald Ranges. Also Flinders Ranges (North of Port Augusta) is a must see.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby bockstar » Tue May 19, 2009 9:47 am

Like what others have said, November will be hot. We did July last year and on one day in Alice it reached 27oC. I guess if you can't get time off then November it is.

Suggest with your car you investigate the options of installing a secondary transmission cooler. We nearly blew the Tribute to bits with the constant gear changing that occurs when towing a (up to) 1 tonne C/T.

BTW, it's beautiful country out there. I'd go back in a heart beat.

Suggested route, via GWH to Dubbo, Broken Hill, Yunta, Peterborough, Port A, then up the middle from there. No need to go via Adelaide unless you need to.

A list of spares should include top and bottom radiator hoses, engine oil, coolant, trans oil etc. Suggest you also upgrade to NRMA premium roadside assist in the week or 2 before you leave.

Happy trails and let us know how you go.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby true salt » Tue May 19, 2009 10:05 pm

bockstar wrote:Like what others have said, November will be hot. We did July last year and on one day in Alice it reached 27oC. I guess if you can't get time off then November it is.

Suggest with your car you investigate the options of installing a secondary transmission cooler. We nearly blew the Tribute to bits with the constant gear changing that occurs when towing a (up to) 1 tonne C/T.

BTW, it's beautiful country out there. I'd go back in a heart beat.

Suggested route, via GWH to Dubbo, Broken Hill, Yunta, Peterborough, Port A, then up the middle from there. No need to go via Adelaide unless you need to.

A list of spares should include top and bottom radiator hoses, engine oil, coolant, trans oil etc. Suggest you also upgrade to NRMA premium roadside assist in the week or 2 before you leave.

Happy trails and let us know how you go.

Thanks very much for the info. I am lucky enough to have a company car, but i will still take relevant hoses and liquids as you have suggested. I'll be getting insurance for the trailer, plus the car is a diesel sedan so towing should be a breeze. The car is a leaseplan car so any issues with it i'll be covered

thanks again!!

david

true salt
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations