Flooring in tents and outside annexe

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Flooring in tents and outside annexe

Postby Tanks1966 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am

Hi all, been a whike for a post by me,
Anyway's I have a canvas tent purchased in 1979 and its time to go now after our last trip. Served me very well.
My question is do people put any type of flooring inside their tents, it doesent have to be canvass either.
Also what type of flooring do they put infront of their tent?
I dont have a problem with room and was at Rays looking at the grass roll matting, I thought maybe this would be nice on the feet and aid in warmth and protection of the tent floor.

As you can see in the picture, pegs are holding the tent door (Zips broke at Easter) and the yellow tarp is filthy after rain.
We went to Sheepyard Flat

Any suggestions / thoughts / ideas?

Thanks people.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Re: Flooring in tents and outside annexe

Postby HGMonaro » Thu May 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Tanks, you're picture is huge, try resizing to about 800x600 pixels and 2-300kb.

Regarding outside matting, the best stuff we have come across (and actually purchased) is some fancy double layered 'shadecloth' like mat (has a brand name but I can't think of it), however it's very expensive. Memory is a bit faint but $75 for a 12'x8' peice (it is well made, has peg down gromet holes and comes with pegs and a bag!!! for $75 it should massage your feet too!!) I think. It actually lets sand and dirt fall though the layers but not get back through. I was not keen on buying it but the Mrs insisted... and now I am a convert!

How was Sheepyard? When were you there and was it busy?

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Smileandhug » Thu May 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Geez I just got covered by the tent......haha

Anyway I use a canvas tarp under my flooring to protect the tent and inside I just brought a nice thick woolly double spread blanket from Lifeline and i just lay that down on the inside of the floor.

For the annex area the ground is covered in shade cloth. Easy to peg down and easy to roll up. Water goes thru it and feels fine on bare feet.

Happy camping.
I AM LIKE A HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH WATER IN IT - I AM WELL
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Postby Tanks1966 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:59 am

HGMonaro wrote:Tanks, you're picture is huge, try resizing to about 800x600 pixels and 2-300kb.

Regarding outside matting, the best stuff we have come across (and actually purchased) is some fancy double layered 'shadecloth' like mat (has a brand name but I can't think of it), however it's very expensive. Memory is a bit faint but $75 for a 12'x8' peice (it is well made, has peg down gromet holes and comes with pegs and a bag!!! for $75 it should massage your feet too!!) I think. It actually lets sand and dirt fall though the layers but not get back through. I was not keen on buying it but the Mrs insisted... and now I am a convert!

How was Sheepyard? When were you there and was it busy?

Nige.

Thanks for the reply, Sheepyard was good but very busy, we were lucky that a couple went a few days before Easter and saved a couple of sites. We were only there because of the scare of the blue Green Algae in the Murray (Tocumwal). It was diffrent for us thats for sure but its a very nice spot.
I would appreciate if you find the brand of the annexe mat and were you purchased it. Does it get muddy?

Thanks Again

PS III take your advice on re sizing pics
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby HGMonaro » Fri May 15, 2009 12:48 pm

found their website --> http://www.cgear.com/default.htm

We bought ours at the Caravan Show a couple of years ago. (remember I said they were expensive!)

Haven't used it in a muddy environment, just dust and sandy (beachside van park). Things like leaves still need to be 'broomed' away.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby snake_dr » Fri May 15, 2009 10:10 pm

bunnings sell a product thats good for this kind of thing, not cheap either, but probably the cheapest option for a real flooring product
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby lorichevy8 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 pm

We picked up flooring which is very similar to the Cgear stuff at Jimboomba Camper Trailers. 2.4 x 6.1 for $60 complete in bag with 20 eyelets. The same brand and size at Tentworld was over $100.

Pays to shop around.
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide