New To Camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Woodsy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:14 pm

What material is a fly made out of? I would like to keep my car out of the weather as she is a old girl being a 76 Model Torana and the last thing i need is stuffed paint from bad weather.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:02 pm

TUFF wrote:What material is a fly made out of? I would like to keep my car out of the weather as she is a old girl being a 76 Model Torana and the last thing i need is stuffed paint from bad weather.

Cheers

Josh

Then i re-tract my previous recomendation of Newnes St Forest :lol: Depending on where you camp, it can be a loooooong drive over dirt, lots dust going to be all over the paintowork, and quite possibly the interior. Of course you could camp closer in to the main tar road but dont expect it to be too secluded unless you've been driving for 1/2hr on the dirt stuff. If you do decide to go, fires are permited unless there is a total fire ban, like the ones in fire season. Its not a park so there shouldn't be anyone near enough to your campsite to steal anything. I have left a motorbike at camp all day there once , unchained :shock: .

If you think you want some place a little more 'classic car friendly' try Mungo - viewtopic.php?t=335 - ... or closer to sydney there's the colo river, but last time i drove past the camp groundw weren't open :? Could be only open in summer i'm not sure. Mungo will probly be more appealing to the GF too cause there's beaches, lakes, dolphins and toilets too :lol: Lithgow however is just bush, but nice bush 8)

And i'd throw sumthing over the tent if its cold, or raining. Sumhow in the cold I always woke up with condensation on the inside :evil:

Aaaaand, second hand camping gear is always the best :armsup , feels wierd when its all shiny and new... like a v......... :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:58 pm

I don't mind it getting dirty just want to keep it protected from hail etc. As it is going in soon for Body Repairs i want to keep it as straight as possible. But dirt is'nt a problem! Both those spots look nice. I can't wait to get out there!

My Beast

Josh
Last edited by Woodsy on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Hail

Postby gqpatrol » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Nevermind the car, what about the new tent in bad weather? Don't think I'd like to be sleeping in a tent with cricket ball hail. It starts hailing - into the car - go home - insurance claim. No tarp will save you!
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 am

That car is very cool! :?# Buy yourself another vehicle and leave that one at home in the shed where it belongs, or give it to me! :armsup I wish.

You can get those gazebo things from supercheap to put your car under, they work well until you get 30+ knot winds.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Woodsy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:25 pm

Ok looks like we are going camping in 2 weeks at Mungo! Going to need to buy a fly though! Coz the Condensation on the inside of my new tent is to bad without one! Any ideas? Just a Tarp with poles and guide ropes?

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:11 pm

TUFF wrote:Ok looks like we are going camping in 2 weeks at Mungo! Going to need to buy a fly though! Coz the Condensation on the inside of my new tent is to bad without one! Any ideas? Just a Tarp with poles and guide ropes?

Josh

:armsup :armsup

I think you answered your own Q. Nice big tarp and alot of telstra rope should do it :mrgreen: . And if you want to be a wuss you can buy poles but real men get creative with climbing trees and stuff :mrgreen: :P
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:22 pm

I did'nt think it was safe to camp under tree's? :grin:
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:15 pm

Anyone have any reviews about Colo River? Looking at going camping there instead of up north for our first camping trip. We will be in a group but we will be arriving first around 4pm and need to know abit about the place.

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:33 am

TUFF wrote:Anyone have any reviews about Colo River? Looking at going camping there instead of up north for our first camping trip. We will be in a group but we will be arriving first around 4pm and need to know abit about the place.

Josh

Cant do a proper review of it cause i havent been there since i was 17 and I dont have any pics. But there's one place right on the river just after the bridge on Putty road, has a service station out front. It was ok, but not cheap by my standards, toilets weren't great. Cant remember if there were showers or how good they were. The best part I remember is swimmin in the river, its pretty awesome and there's a tree with overhanging branches to jump off (check water depth first ;) ). Gets pretty crowded on long weekends too. But all in all nice enough. I'd go there again if I was invited, but I wouldn't organise a trip there myself as there's too many other places I want to explore.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:58 am

Ok well it has been a while since i last posted. But WE WENT CAMPING!... Well sort of.. The weekend we planned on going camping gail force winds and rain was forecast. But we went anyway. Newnes State Forest, Mungo and Colo River were out of the question. We around an hour and a half up the coast to Soldiers Point Holiday Park. Which for our first camping trip was a good idea i thought. We were the only people camping there! It was that windy and rainy that all the other campers took a cabin instead. I picked the most sheltered area behind some trees and the lowest point to try and keep us out of the wind which worked for some part of the night.

Took around 2 hours to get the tent fully setup in the dark mind you but it was up! The rain hammered us and the wind was even worse as in the middle of the night the side of the tent was actually wacking me in the face. We were meant to stay 2 nights... But it was wet and miserable so the next day we packed up and had to throw everything into the back of my gf's car because it was pouring!!! Overall... It was good to get the worst camping trip out of the way and maybe next time we can go camping in the bush!

Cheers Everyone.

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:06 am

I hope the rotten weather hasn't put you off camping. One way to look at it though, is that next time has to be a vast improvement and a far more pleasant experience.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Scolers » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:46 am

Like said Amanda said ... don't let it put you off ... there'll be many more great trips that will far outweigh the crappy ones.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jakko2002 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:45 pm

hey all im new to all of this! my wife, myself and our 10 month old son are going camping at christmas down the foreshore of inverloch, in victoria. Any helpfull hints and tips would b great , we have a big 3 room tent so tents not an issue, also anyone done any fishing in the area? what do u catch or use for bait etc? cheers good camping!!
If you don't have fun camping, its your own fault!!
jakko2002
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:38 pm

jakko2002 wrote:hey all im new to all of this! my wife, myself and our 10 month old son are going camping at christmas down the foreshore of inverloch, in victoria. Any helpfull hints and tips would b great , we have a big 3 room tent so tents not an issue, also anyone done any fishing in the area? what do u catch or use for bait etc? cheers good camping!!

Welcome to the forums Jakko!

Maybe start a new thread as you've raised a few new points.

Cheers!

:))

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations