Looking for somewhere to camp in Victoria.

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Looking for somewhere to camp in Victoria.

Postby dabizkit2001 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:31 pm

3 mates and myself are looking to go on a weekend camping trip to somewhere early July. It happens to coincide with school holidays so we want somewhere that families generally wouldn't go, but where we can still have a campfire, pitch a tent etc. More headed towards staying outside of a camping park etc, I want them to have to dig a hole when they need to go to the toilet, etc. ;)

Preferably within 4 hours of Melbourne.

Any ideas or suggestions?
dabizkit2001

Re: Looking for somewhere to camp in Victoria.

Postby Bradd » Sat May 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Preferably within 4 hours of Melbourne

That covers most of the state of Victoria :lol:

I don't know how many families would be camping in Victoria in the middle of winter.

There's always National Parks, while the more popular ones might get winter campers (brrrr)
there are more than enough less popular / out of the way ones.

Camping In Victoria's Parks Map (pdf)
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_1266.pdf

Parkweb page with National Parks and State Parks with Camping.
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1process_ ... activity=5

Most State Forests allow camping, some have facilities some have nothing.

Slightly confusing site ... DSE State Forests Maps & Local Information page.
Click on region then click on Places To Visit for information about specific State Forests.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenfor.n ... 123D7?open
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby haovnp2 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:09 pm

The Grampians are a beautiful spot. When you get there, steer clear of (or at least, don't stay in) the towns like Halls Gap, but go out along the tourist road a bit further...there are a lot of basic but free and natural campsites right in the national park and they're great! Especially Jimmy's Creek and the Wannon Creek campgrounds. If you need a map to find them, call into the Parks offices in Stawell and Halls Gap...they'll help! (Stawell's worth a look - it was built as a gold mining town like many but the big difference is, it still is a gold mining town - there's an active mine there running and has viewpoints - worth a look! I lived in Stawell for a year and worked at the mine - every day, people came to see it)

Also, if you want to go further west into the Wimmera region, the Little Desert Park and Wyperfeld National Park (up near Nhill/Jeparit) are quite beautiful, there are sandhills for the kids to slide down and its very quiet there as they are often forgotten spots!
Source(s):
Western Victoria resident and avid camper!
haovnp2

Postby Bradd » Thu May 21, 2009 4:23 pm

haovnp2 wrote:but go out along the tourist road a bit further...there are a lot of basic but free and natural campsites right in the national park and they're great! Especially Jimmy's Creek and the Wannon Creek campgrounds.

They are not quite free
$13.00 per night per site , up to 6 people

My Review of some of the Grampians campgrounds
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=3350
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Camping Tips and Locations