Hi Folks!

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi Folks!

Postby albi » Sun May 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi all, my name is Alan im 25 yrs young and live in melbourne.
My partner and i are just starting out in camping, although i have been many times before but with other people and other peoples gear. After looking around at tents and numerous camping stores we have bought a spinifex gladstone 6 from anaconda that was on sale for $199 and also a coleman quick bed air mattress that was also on sale (small hole which i have repaired) couldnt help myself it was $20.
We are planning a trip in late june up to eildon in victoria staying at the blue gums caravan park, has anyone been there?
As we are starting out we are also in need of a few other things. ie - stove, tarp, lights and cookwear. So if anyone is selling any of these things or has any ideas of anything else a starting out camper needs or anything you wish you had when you went on your first trip, any advice, feel free to pm me or add a reply.
Thanks in advance, Alan.
albi

Re: Hi Folks!

Postby jac&mark+4 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi & welcome.......Im another newbie

Ive found this forum full of great advice & ideas & of course everyone is so friendly :)
Enjoy ur first camping trip in ur new tent, once u get the camping bug u always have it
jac&mark+4
Boy Scout

Postby Bradd » Sun May 24, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi & welcome to the forum fellow Victorian :+

I'm thinking its gonna be bloody cold up Eildon way then.
I hope you have 0 Degree rated sleeping bags (at least)
Your mattress will be comfortable but inflatable mattresses
don't insulate the cold from the ground, so you will likely
need to put something under it like foam mats etc and even
a good woolen blanket over the top.

There is at least one thread on this subject here in the forum.

The trading post is good for some bargains usually and keep an
eye out at garage sales and local markets for people getting rid of gear.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun May 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Welcome aboard. Winter camping is great as long as you can sleep warm. Get sleeping bags that are rated for the cold and insulate the floor of the tent as stated above. You may find it also a good idea to sleep with a beanie on as you lose a lot of heat through your head, especially is follicly challenged like myself :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mac15 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi Alan & welcome!

Blue Gums is a great place to start you off into the camping scene. We've been there a few times and the huge unpowered camping area along the bank of the river is a good spot. Good facilities with covered but open camp kitchens that have stove/BBQ, fridge, kettle & toaster. Fire drums can be hired as well which will make your winter camp all that much better. The river is good for lazing away and if you're brave enough (it will be cold!) it's a great place for kayaks, etc - the fishing is also pretty good I hear.
When's my next holiday??
mac15
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:56 am

As has already been stated....insulate on top and below the mattress...old woollen blankets are good.......and add a couple of hot water bottles to the bed a little time before you climb into it.

I also use a large and very heavy thick cotton mat on the floor of the tent which means that when I get out on bed I am not standing on the cold floor.

Also good to put a tarp over the tent....keep the chill etc from directly on top of the tent.

Thermal unders is also a good addition.

I always say that successful winter camping is all in the right preparation.....enjoy.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: