Self inflating Matresses

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Self inflating Matresses

Postby Nicho » Sat May 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a self inflating mattress, could anyone help me as to which are the better ones,are they comfortable and are there any pitfalls to them.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Nicho :grin:
Nicho

Re: Self inflating Matresses

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat May 30, 2009 11:21 pm

Mrs Bravo and I have been using them for a couple of years now. We have king singles. Were advised against the doubles as they are very difficult to roll up. They seem to come from the same factory with different colours. They are comfortable if you like bedding on the slightly firm side.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby AussieSunset » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:21 am

I have the double spinifex 4x4 mat and i find it very comfy with an airbed underneath. I had no trouble rolling it up on my own. I found it a lot warmer than an airbed alone on very cold nights.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby jcd » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 am

I have one of the 4WD self inflating mattresses (largish single) after trying one of the smaller hiking ones and I've found that the thicker 4WD one is pretty comfortable (about 8 cm thick) and definitely insulates you from the cold ground better than an air mattress. The one possible downside is that they are pretty bulky to carry as they don't roll up into a nice small size like an air bed. I'm not sure where you are based but if you are in SEQ then the Caravan and Camping show is on over the long weekend at the Ekka grounds so you may be able to pick up a bargain.

Bye Jeff.
NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, Cooper Discovery ATR's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box, OzTent RV-2
jcd
Boy Scout

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:52 pm

We use a common pump air mattress, but did find it cold in cold places! There is, simply, far to much air in it for 2 bodies to warm up. We bought a couple of thin self inflating camping mats that we put on top of the air mattress. The self inflating mats trap air which is easily warmed up by body heat, and also acts as an insulator. An added bonus is that they roll up fairly small. I always seem to wake up on mine, so I am guessing that if I am asleep and roll off I somehow find my back on to it.

I am sold on them.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby New to camping » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:48 am

I have a queen size which I bought due to the extra foam thickness. They are very comfortable and warn the down side is the size. When rolled up they still take up heaps of room but I use a trailer so it is not such an issue.
New to camping
Boy Scout

Postby markcrook » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 pm

New to camping wrote:I have a queen size which I bought due to the extra foam thickness. They are very comfortable and warn the down side is the size. When rolled up they still take up heaps of room but I use a trailer so it is not such an issue.

We have the same, it does take two of us to roll it - and when rolled takes up loads of room, we also had it in a trailer. We keep it unrolled underneath the camper trailer mattress now, so it is super comfy. Beats an airbed hands down.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Ricklanga » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:24 pm

We use a pump-up. I find a wool underlay does wonders at combating the cold.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby micko » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 pm

we have two single 4wd self inflating matresses that we put together and cover with a fitted queen size sheet good to sleep on and are easy to roll up and pack away
micko
Boy Scout

Postby jac&mark+4 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:15 am

we are still on the old queen blow up.....but we are off camping for the weekend in about 4 hours and Im also taking the thin foam mattress of our sofa bed to put on top, as I found the blow up when hubby is also on it I just dont sleep well at all.
jac&mark+4
Boy Scout

Postby benno » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Hey Nicho
We have an Oz Trail self inflating in the queen size. When we set up it gets unrolled and left to do its thing untill we are nearly ready for bed, then the bungs are fitted. More than happy with it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Ben
benno
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Would make the suggestion that if getting one go for the 100 mm (4 inch) thick model. You will certainly notice the difference in comfort and insulation. I have a double one for whenever I have visitors camping with me in the camper trailer. My old mate (86 years old) was very impressed with sleeping on it.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Nicho » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply's, it has certainly given me something to think about.

Cheers,

Nicho
Nicho

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm

At the moment Kmart have a decent sale on their matresses.

I've been using a queen size mattress and bought a small 12v pump for about $12, inflates it in about 1 minute.
When folded up I can fit it in one of those enviro shopping bags.
The only downside is that and I hate the bumps but a decent blanket ontop sorts that out, makes it more comfortable protects the matress and stops the cold coming through.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:34 am

Dodgy_Dave wrote:
a decent blanket ontop sorts that out, makes it more comfortable protects the matress and stops the cold coming through.

Insulate under the mattress as well and it will be even better at stopping the cold coming in. An old woollen blanket or a piece of carpet as PJ uses is good.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Gear Guide