Advice on buying a tent

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Advice on buying a tent

Postby herron » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi! We are a family of four who had our first camping experience a few weeks ago and loved it. We borrowed a 5 man tent, packed an esky and took off (thankfully with some friends who actually knew what they were doing!). We are now looking to buy our own (bigger) tent with maybe a couple of rooms. Just wondering if anyone has advice on what is the best tent to buy - brand, style etc - so that we end up with a quality tent that is fairly easy to put up and big enough to live in. Thanks! :grin:
herron

Postby Scolers » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:24 pm

G'day Herron and welcome to the forums.

Our first family tent was a Big W tent ... it cost roughly the same as some named brands and was a bit crappy to be honest. If I went down this road again I'd go to a camping store like BCF or Ranger and have a look at what they've got, but don't buy immediately. Maybe a squzz in the Trading Post wouldn go a miss either once you've figured on brand and size.

We have a Camper Trailer now and it goes just about everywhere. We also have a 8.5ft sq pyramid looking tent that I use for overnighters (mainly when going fishing and want to camp on the beach). It's great for two and there are bigger ones but like I said, have a look at the some major camping stores and see what you like.

Try and go for canvas becuase it 'breathes'. May cost a bit more but I found the cheapie ones get hot very quick (most tents do but the synthetic material tents are woeful).

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:04 pm

Don't.... Get 4 swags :armsup :mrgreen: jokin

As Scolers mentioned, best bet is to go to a few stores and look at what they have on display. Definate thing to go for is one that you can stand upright in in atleast one room.
Canvas is great but $$$, and you don't go camping to sit in the tent all day so I dont see a problem with synthetic :lol:.- should be lighter than canvas too eh??

My friend has a synthetic 7 man I think (maybe more), 4 rooms and the central one is high enough to stand upright, think he paid under $400 for it from a camping store.
What state/city are you in? Might help with what stores are available and what sorta tent you need with climate. Around Sydney camping world is pretty good. And the army surplus stores are good for a bargain but can be pretty dodgey - I bought a 2man 'triangular' tent that came with a dome shaped fly :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby just_bring_it » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:25 pm

it depends on where abouts you are ?
we are in queensland and have a 6person synthetic tent from bigw wich cost $95 and only fits 3 of us with stretcher beds and luggage and a smaller area at the front for shoes and the esky its real easy to put up but we do have a large tarp wich covers the tent and gives us a large shaded area to sit under and store our cooking equip and table and chairs.

so if you have a tarp no need for expensive tents also freinds of ours who bought a big tent with 4 rooms are now wanting something smaller as they find on some of the more popular family sites they dont get much room and need to book 2 sites but if your in a colder climate and would need to spend more time inside then you might need something bigger
just_bring_it
Boy Scout

tents

Postby Kit » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi, been looking myself so I can tell you what I found. oztrail villa 9, it is a dome tent 3 rooms it seems to be pretty good I found it for $389. Then thereis the Kangaroo canvas 15' x 12' for $779 was the cheapest I could find. I have a canvas one now and it is great with standing height, heaps of room, sturdy etc but they are bloody heavy and take up a fair bit of space. There is a heap of online stores and catalouges if you look up amping or tents too. Hope it helps

Cheers :grin:
I had one of those once, but mine was red and the wheels feel off
Kit

Postby Gary's Family » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:42 pm

I have always owned dome tents and loved them. They fold up pretty small, pretty easy to set up, come in many different shapes and sizes and fairly light. It depends how often you plan to use them. My wife and I had our dome tent for about 6 years without too many concerns, we probabley used it a dozen times a year. My opinion is they are too easy and cheap to look at anything else.

Gary
Gary's Family
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations