Emergency pain relief

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Emergency pain relief

Postby slug » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:50 pm

As i get down to the final planning of my desert trip my brother rang up with a valid query; "what do we have in the way of pain relief?"

As a bit of background we are planning to do the corners, Camerons, Haddons and Poepells as well as a bit of the Simpson, Lake Eyre and a few other bits and pieces. My brother will be riding his motorbike, myself following in a 4wd carrying supplies and fuel. I have a reasnobly comprehensive first aid kit, but my brothers concern, and its fair enough, what about something stronger than the old panadol etc? If he comes off the bike with any sort of speed or awkwardly, what will we do in terms of pain before help arrives? We've got communications sorted, thats not really what im wondering. Is there anything we can take? I dont think the "green whistle" ambos use can be bought over the counter ;) and i believe they are only short lived relief anyway. Any thoughts?

Thanks
slug
Captain Camping

Re: Emergency pain relief

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:07 pm

I think that is a question you or he should ask your/his GP as none of us here are qualified or know your medical history in order to give such advice.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 pm

gypsylady wrote:I think that is a question you or he should ask your/his GP as none of us here are qualified or know your medical history in order to give such advice.

Yep agree with that.

Go talk to the doctor. There are SPAMMER pain killers available for this sort of thing.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Panadene Forte

But I believe there are certain instances you shouldn't use it (internal bleeding comes to mind?), hence why they don't sell it over the counter.

Best to talk to your GP but I'd be willing to bet you can't actually BUY anything much stronger. You could get PF easily enough though, just go to the hospital, say you've got kidney stones and they are playing up. Might need to do a bit of acting :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
You could get PF easily enough though, just go to the hospital, say you've got kidney stones and they are playing up. Might need to do a bit of acting :lol:

I am sorry but IMO I think advising someone to lie about a medical condition in order to get painkillers is a bit irresponsible.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:27 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:
You could get PF easily enough though, just go to the hospital, say you've got kidney stones and they are playing up. Might need to do a bit of acting :lol:

I am sorry but IMO I think advising someone to lie about a medical condition in order to get painkillers is a bit irresponsible.

No I'm sorry, but I thought most people would have been able to see the 'tongue in cheek' in my post.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:13 pm

New people to the site might not understand your sense of humour Ozzy...

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Davo69 and the Nurse » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:05 pm

I think you need to go and have a chat to your local GP for advise on SPAMER....
everything including Paracetamol is dangerous if taken for the wrong condition..... and strong pain relief is no different, and without a degree in nursing, pharmacology or medicine, it is very possible that you could not tell the difference between anaphylaxis, overdose, oversedation or hypovolaemic shock..... all of these present with the same signs and symptoms of reducing blood pressure, pulse, respiration rates, hypoxaemia, and fluctuating levels of consciousness......as well as cardiac arrest....... and you would then need to carry extra medications to reverse or limit the response to your current condition.....

Ozzyboy..... I think 'bunging' it on to get pain relief from a hospital is a bad idea.... there are ways and means of assessing pain and "pain"..... and I do not like supporting someone's habits.....

the Nurse
Davo69 and the Nurse
Camping King

Postby slug » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks everyone for the replies, and I agree. I’ve told him to go see his doc to see what he can do. I doubt it’ll be much though. I think he knows his doc pretty well but how is a GP to know if the average person off the street is going for an adventure ride and needs emergency provisions or is going to use it for other purposes. I just thought id try here first, though someone may have been in similar position.
slug
Captain Camping

Postby markcrook » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:09 am

Hi Slug,

the only way you are going to get anything stonger is via illegal or nefarious means, which I wouldn't recomend. If you do suffer an injury in which you need something stonger then it is probably worth getting medical attention/advise.

I have been an orthopaedic nurse for 17 years and what I would recomend is learning first aid and maybe even looking at advanced first aid - splinting and immobilisation is the way to go if he does stack it and injure himself then a good way of reducing pain, futher injury and preventing complications until help arrives. Simple splints can be made out of tent poles.

Have a look here for info on fractures, spinal injuries, burns, bites, bleeding etc http://www.stjohn.org.au/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=34 but they also say that the best thing to do is a first aid course.

Hope this helps

Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:32 pm

In my opinion I would put my money in ways to communicate to call medical help no matter where I am. Because let's face it if you need something stronger than over the counter you really need medical help.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby slug » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks all, this is pretty much the conclusions we have come but wondered if we were missing something.

Thanks
slug
Captain Camping

Postby Bradd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Make sure you have Ice / Cold Packs
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Woodsy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:52 pm

I only use Nurofen Plus. As Panadol etc has no affect on me. To be honest it makes me feel as if i have had afew drinks but pain is relieved quite quickly. I have to mention though that i suffer from back pain and get migraines and only use it if i have to.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Beau » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:40 pm

If you need something like panadeine forte but dont have a p r e scription for it, you can get the pharmacist-only Panadeine product over the counter with 15mg of codeine, its now called Panadeine Extra, it used to be called Panadeine 15.

2 of them would equal 1 forte, but with a higher panadol load.
apart from that, eat a wild lettuce, that white(milk) you see in lettuce is an opiate. :***
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide