winter camping, free wood

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

winter camping, free wood

Postby megs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am

Hi, I am looking for somewhere new is SE queeensland that is good for camping in winter. We have been to kilkivan and outside of murgon quite a few times. These spots are great as they have free firewood, and the one near Murgon has bushwalks as well. Does anyone know of places similar to these ie free/cheap firewood and walks nearby?? We are a small family who tent camp. thanks, megs :P
megs
Boy Scout

Re: winter camping, free wood

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:52 am

You might want to check this site megs http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby megs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks gypsy lady, there are great spots mentioned on the website, i was hoping someone may have a favourite campsite that has cheap wood, as we go through so much winter camping!!We may just have to go back to outside murgon, better than nowhere :)
megs
Boy Scout

Postby will_deness » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:52 pm

We were at Peachtree's last long weekend, we took our own firewood. But halfway between Kilcoy and Jimna there was nice bags (around 20kgs)of split timber at a farm gate with a honesty box.
next time I will get some to save carting.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Island Reach at Imbil has campfires with wood available for a fee. Not sure how much though.

http://www.ircamping.com.au/

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby megs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm

thanks will_deness, i forgot about those cheap bags. I may just pay them, or free at murgon, we go through A LOT of wood in winter. Cheers for your help everyone. i saw some other posts about a park that lets you collect your own wood, and between that, kilkivan and murgon bush camps we should be ok this winter. have fun camping everyone :)
megs
Boy Scout

Postby lorichevy8 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:35 pm

You could try Bestbrook. Check out previous posts. Ray says camp fires are manditory when staying there. You can take any timber which is lying around for your fire and over the last three years we have been going there there has never been a shortage.
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Postby megs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks for the tip. i looked at other posts about that spot, sounds great, we'll give it a whirl, thanks.
megs
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations