Off-Road towing

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Off-Road towing

Postby markcrook » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:47 pm

When towing an off-road camper trailer, off-road (sand or soft stuff), do you reduce the tyre presure?

I would drop the Jeeps tyre pressure to increase traction, but I don't want to increase the traction of the trailer as surely it will make it harder to tow, what would you recomend or do :?:
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Re: Off-Road towing

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:41 pm

I always drop the tyre pressure on both the tug and the camper Mark for sand and off road.

I can't say I have ever noticed any drag and I am sure the litres per 100 do increase to some degree but not significantly and not enough to be of concern to me.

To me the extra cost in fuel negates the advantages of safety in handling and the reduction of potential tyre damage.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:54 pm

If you are driving on dirt I probably wouldn't bother, but it will make the ride for your trailer more 'cushioned'.

On sand it will help the trailer ride on top of the sand instead of digging/sinking in so it's always best to drop your pressures and let the tyres bag out.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Less pressure in the trailer tyres = greater tyre contact area on the sand = beter 'floating' over the sand.
Obviously it depends on whether it's deep sand or not, but I find with our 1T camper, it's alot easier on the Pajero towing when the trailer wheels float over the sand as opposed to cutting through.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby markcrook » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks guys, it all makes sense

Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Return to Camper Trailers