Pop Up Tents - Has anyone used these? Thoughts?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Pop Up Tents - Has anyone used these? Thoughts?

Postby pwatt » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi,

Having been using a swag for the last few years I am now taking the plunge into a tent. Its only being used for weekend surf trips so quick and easy it the plan. A tent is mainly to clear out gear from the 4x4 when using it to access the beach, the swag only has so much room and takes up a bit of room to travel.

Has anyone used the pop up tents and had any experience with them in the rain? My opinion, without testing is that if something is touching the single wall when its raining, then I'm gunna wake up wet. Thoughts or experiences???

Thanks, :)

Paul
pwatt

Re: Pop Up Tents - Has anyone used these? Thoughts?

Postby markannab » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:27 am

Like any canvas tents, you have to avoid touching the walls when it's raining, so just make sure you have a tent large enough that you don't have your feet or head near the walls all night & any luggage can sit a few centimetres away from the walls too.

We've just gone from a camper to a tent again and have a single-pole tourer a little like this: http://store.bcf.com.au/Images/Common/300046.jpg, which is 3m x 3m. We haven't used it to camp yet but took just four minutes to put up - ideal for short trips where you don't want to invest half an hour in setting up camp.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:02 am

The only issue I am aware of is the difficulty of folding them back up again.

Tarping over would solve any issues with rain & getting wet plus be a bonus in the summer by keeping the tent cooler and then warmer in winter.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Matilda » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi, recently purchased this pop up tent used it once so far, good for one person with luggage, will fit a double mattress not much spare space. just pop it up,with 4 pegs and 4 guy lines for extra hold downs. Paks up easy. into round fla pack bag.This is the link for it with a video.
Prepare and Enjoy the Great Outdoors
http://www.familyfriendlyozcamping.com.au/
Matilda
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 pm

We went to buy one to use as a shower tent. Had the salesman show us how to fold it. Tried it but it wouldn't go back to its original shape. They are cheap but don't expect long wear from them. A canvass tourer takes a few minutes to set up, you cand stand up in them and they fold pretty flat. Not as complex as putting up a dome.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:52 am

Blue Bravo wrote:We went to buy one to use as a shower tent. Had the salesman show us how to fold it. Tried it but it wouldn't go back to its original shape. .

The other people I was travelling with on my recent trip used one of the pop up shower tents ....and what a nightmare it was trying to get it folded back down.

Watched a poor guy struggle trying to pack one up in Streaky Bay as well.....very easy up but not so when it comes to pack up time.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:01 pm

We have a pop up ensuite tent, that we put the porta loo in. It goes up in seconds, and takes either three hours if I'm trying to fold it back up, or 2 seconds if Jo does it. :--? Seems to be me thats the problem, not the pop up tent. Incidentally it's not a comfortable camping option unless you can sleep standing up.

We have a nylon 10 person dome and we go from parked to fully set up in about 30 minutes, including setting up the 3-way fridge, lights and all of that stuff. I think they are a bit lighter in the car than a canvas tent, and they tend to be a bit more watertight when it rains - touching the walls doesn't mean a leak usually.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby markcrook » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Jo&Kev wrote: Incidentally it's not a comfortable camping option unless you can sleep standing up.

Kev

I think this is the sort of thing Paul is thinking of http://camping.about.com/od/campinggear ... uechua.htm rather than the ensuite/shower tent (similar principle though, but more comfortable to sleep in, especially without the porta dunny!).

I think the company that made the original 3 second tent went bust! But I know there are simialr products out there. These things do fold up easly, but is just a matter of technique (like so much in life, you have either got it or you dont! :*** )
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:56 pm

I was assuming that a shower tent wasn't Pwatt's plan. Point is that the pop up things are (for me at least) a pain to put away.

There are many things that I can't do, and folding up those things is definitely on the list.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Jo&Kev wrote:
folding up those things is definitely on the list.

Have to agree with that comment....mind you watching someone trying to pack one up can definitely be entertaining to the observer.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide